1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

HPSP and Tuition Payments

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by SeminoleFan3, May 3, 2007.

1. SeminoleFan3

SeminoleFan3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For those who went to school (preferably recently) on HPSP (perferably Navy), was the Navy late in making your tuition payment? I'm just scared because I'm going to be taking out an extra student loan for other expenses and if the tuition's not paid, the school will use it for my tuition until the Navy pays up. I asked the financial aid office, and they said that that seems to be their experience. Anyone with this problem? Also, how can I avoid that (if there's anything I can do)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. psychbender

psychbender Cynical Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm Army, but they didn't pay tuition until several months into school. I don't know if that's standard practice, or if they just "lost" some paperwork for a while. My school was understanding, since they knew I was on scholarship, and knew the money would come in eventually.

4. met19

met19 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    navy usually paid little later than most other fin aid (e.g. loans, etc). However most schools know they will get the $$$ and will release your aid. At least that has been my experience.

5. njaqua

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm Army. I heard this year it was b/c they have a new system where the school has to verify the scholarship on a website. However, the website was down for a while at the beginning of Fall semester, hence the tardy tuition payment. No prob in Spring. Hopefully this next Fall goes smoothly. It does suck to wait a month or two for your FinAid refund.

6. psychbender

psychbender Cynical Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This was last year, so I doubt that was the issue. You had to wait for a refund from the Army? Your school didn't just wait for the Army to pay them?

7. njaqua

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since they couldn't verify my scholarship, when my FinAid loan came in they automatically deducted tuition and fees from it, so I got nothing back. Then when the Army finally paid, I got the refund check through financial aid.

8. Floater268

Floater268 Lost and Confused
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not only has the navy not fully paid my tuition, but I have yet to see my uniform subsidy either. I have heard stories about students not having their school paid until weeks before graduation and they had to argue with HPSP command to get it paid so they could graduate. Some crazy stuff. Something I've heard echoed before though:
    If they can't fill the HPSP scholarship slots, then why is it so hard to meet your financial obligations with all that extra money floating around?
    Just a thought.

9. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If the school wants to withold your financial aid. Call the Navy office. They will contact the school and get the funds released.