HPSP / antidepressants / ADD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ganglioglioma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a current HPSP AF member, and a 3rd year in school. I'll be doing an ADT in a few months, and I had a few questions. (Preceded by a long story)

About one year ago, I underwent a severe bout of depression. I was referred to a psychiatrist by my PCP, who placed me on an antidepressant. I had qualms about reporting this to the military because I'd heard things (like that they kick you out for severe depression on meds), and though I didn't believe the rumors completely, I was too scared to ask or take the chance of reporting it. I know this is about the time that everyone chimes in about how stupid I was to not report it, however, it gets worse. After probably 2 months on the antidepressant I was additionally diagnosed with ADD. The psych was obviously somewhat of a pill pusher, however I followed her advice and began taking Vyvanse for ~6 months. The combination of the Vyvanse and antidepressant did wonders for me and I felt human for the first time in forever.

However, I became anxious about reporting the ADD/Vyvanse to the AF, because I was scared that they'd go through all the records from my psych and see that I hadn't disclosed the major depression, then they'd kick me out, and a lot of other bad things. I was so scared that I didn't disclose it, and I took myself off the Vyvanse because I didn't want to fail some random drug test.

My question is, I would really like to re-start the Vyvanse - but (1) would I need to go through another doctor so that it looked like a "new" diagnosis/something that I hadn't hidden, (2) how frequently do they randomly drug test / do they drug test on all ADTs - though I don't want to go back on and lie, I'm curious, and (3) how screwed am I in general? Will I get kicked out for the major depression? Or the ADD? Even if diagnosed by a new practitioner with brand new medical records?

I know that I'm an idiot and I should've disclosed in the first place. I should've disclosed when I got diagnosed with the ADD. I should've done something other than what I did, but I was so depressed and anxious that I didn't do the logical thing - so please, please don't chew me out for asking. I know I'm an idiot and I know what I "should" have done already. I just want advice going forward so I don't make more stupid decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have made a good decision in seeking professional help for your common psychiatric conditions. Doing so is not always easy, and in my opinion it depicts a level of maturity on your part that you have sought help early before letting these conditions cause you to fail out of school or potentially cause harm to a patient. As far as notifying the military goes; I am not experienced enough to tell you whether or not you will be released from your commitment because of your diagnoses. My gut feeling is that you will likely not be released for your conditions, but they will probably make sure that you are following through with whatever recommendations your PCM or psychiatrist makes. At the end of the day I feel it is most important that you do what is right for yourself and your patients, and if that means taking medication and or undergoing therapy so be it. You are property of the US government so I do believe the right and legal thing to do is to let the proper persons know about your diagnoses, but if there is any doubt in your mind about whether or not you should actually carry any labels you might be well served to seek out a second opinion.

You would have some explaining to do if you had amphetamines in your urine.