HPSP Army Clinical Psychology.. for Dummies??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to living in the US and new to these boards.

I completed my Masters in the UK and have had it evaluated by WES as being equivalent to a Masters in Counseling Psychology.

Now that I'm living here in the States (I'm a US citizen) I'm finding it awfully hard to find work as I need to train further in order to get licensing etc. Looking into doing a PhD here and I'm blown away by the cost and was googling to find out how to get a "free" phd in the field... and I found some links on this site about HPSP Army scholarships and I thought "wow, that seems great, they pay for your phd and they offer you job security, cant go wrong".

BUT, I know that the 2 page printout from the army website doesnt give over too much info (theyre not stupid!) and having lived overseas I don't understand a lot of the abbreviations on these boards.

So, if anyone has experience in this area can I ask for a little "Dummies" guide to HPSP and ask a few questions?

1) What is the exact army (military) requirements, ie. will i be expected to do some kind of basic training where I'd have to have all my hair cut off, and have to tun for miles in fields and chant, and have large military people shout in my face and make me say "sir, yes sir"etc?? (If so, then the questions can end there.. I'm a wimp, in my 30's, married with kids, "slightly" overweight ahem)

2) There a bit of a chicken and egg situation, where they say that they need to see an offer of a place at a university. Now, I wouldnt apply to a university unless I knew I had funding. So how does this resolve itself?

3) Do they really cover all the years of a clinical psychology phd/psyd? In any university of my choice?

4) The army reserve bit. I'm married with kids, will I need to move away from my family each year for a period of time?

5) Same goes for all the years of active service that are owed to the army. Will I need to live away from my family or could I work near home?

I am aware that my questions sound ill prepared and basic. Please understand my cultural divide and help out if you can.

Any assistance will be gratefully accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.