HPSP at UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batory

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just thought I would start another topic about UHS, I love to see our name on here!

My name is Matt Hoefer, and I am the newly elected President for the Medical Corps at UHS. Anyone can be involved, but typically we are HPSP'ers from all services. There are quite a few of us, mostly due to UHS's big class size and hefty price tag....about 25 in the class of '05.

Anyway, there are a lot of exciting things coming up for next year, and I want to invite anyone interested in the military or HPSP at UHS to email me and I will add you to our summer mailing list. Also, one of the new things we are starting next year is a mentorship program...where you will be tagged up with a 2nd year from your service to help you through all of the paperwork and confusion of being a military medical student.

Feel free to email me about non-military topics as well!

Have a great summer! The class of '05 is looking forward to meeting you all in August.

Matt
[email protected]

p.s. Captain, Army type (prior MSC)

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Matt,

Thanks for starting this thread-- I am a bit intimidated by the colossal amount of paperwork that I will need to be familiar with/filling out/etc... come next fall!! I am Army HPSP & am glad to see the Medical Corps is thriving at UHS!! I will send you an e-mail so I can get on your mailing list! Can't wait to meet y'all in August!

~Hillary
:clap: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Matt- great idea for the mentoring. That should be very helpful...and we can pass the knowledge on as we move through the program. Is there any paperwork, phone calls that we need to be making in prep to show up for school? How soon can we submit a reimbursement for that $1000 paid for tuition? Thanks for any answers/advice!
David

Batory-
I was just wondering if you could read the reply I posted on the Century Towers forum and comment. I would like to hear different points of view to make sure I am not blowing things out of proportion. Thanks!
Amber

AB,

From what I've seen, they treat everyone at MEPS that way. They seldom see officer candidates there, and the reason they are accustomed to acting that way is because they usually only deal with rather undisciplined 17, 18 year olds. Its just part of the adjustment to military life thing that they try to throw at the recruits right from the start. MEPS will probably be your worst experience (from that perspective) if you decide to join the military. Trust me, its a different world as an officer. When you enter as an officer, they already expect a certain level of maturity and discipline that, lets face it, most 17, 18, 19 year olds lack, so they don't try to grill it into you.

As for why they wouldn't do the EKG, there's ten million beauracratic reasons why nobody would do it. I don't want to make generalizations, but... here goes. All I can say is that in the military, sometimes you have to keep asking until you get your way. Sometimes in an office environment, military people aren't prepared to do something outside the normal scope of their duties, even if it makes sense. Remember, what they do at MEPS is a set routine with set procedures that they do over and over again, week in and week out. In such an environment, if you request something a little unusual from them, they might be unprepared for it and try to talk you away. Is all the military this way? Thankfully, no. I think units that spend more time in the field, where unorthodox thinking is often needed, are less susceptible to such acretions. So don't think your entire military career will be like your day at MEPS! Once (or if) those same people see you wearing your rank, they will instantly treat you differently. And remember to keep asking until you find someone who's willing to help you.

And on a different subject, today, I finally got my separation orders from the army, after months and months of waiting. There is now nothing to stop me from attending UHS. Thank God I'm leaving Fort Stewart and coastal Georgia (forever, I hope).