HPSP DCC 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaFamilia1324

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Senior here, accepted into medical school back in October '17 and received HPSP in December, got commissioned 1st week of January. I've been lucky enough to have a great recruiter who has been on top of everything since day one but now with this whole DCC thing being implemented, he's at a loss and hasn't been much help. He says I should have received my orders over a month ago and he has never had a recipient have to wait for this long. Couple days ago he told me he had received word that students who had received the scholarship in the last cycle (started med school summer of 2017) had still not be put into the system and this was affecting those applying this year. My concern is I need to receive my orders in time to do DCC this summer before I start med school in August. I don't want to be stuck having to do DCC the summer after M1 and BOLC the summer after M2 and not have time to study for step1. Has anyone here heard anything from their recruiters about receiving/delay in receiving orders or about doing DCC the summer before starting med school?
In advance, this is my first post so sorry if this has been answered already (I searched through a couple dozen threads and didn't find anything)
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ever find these dates? I'm trying to plan some vacation around DCC; please let me know if you do know the dates

DCC is being offered twice this summer. 10 June - 9 July and 8 July - 4 August. The early class is filling fast...

Members don't see this ad :)
DCC is being offered twice this summer. 10 June - 9 July and 8 July - 4 August. The early class is filling fast...

Do you know if DCC is required for Army Reserve or ARNG physicians who have prior commissioned service as a medical officer? I got commission through Navy ROTC, 6 years active duty as a Navy physician, also prior enlisted in the Navy. Starting process of looking into rejoining and nobody seems sure. I know BOLC short course is still required, just not sure about DCC. Thanks!

Going back to 2013, the whole ARNG and Selected Reserve issue has been a hot button for DCC. I really can't speak to what is going to happen there other than to quote the AR 350-1, para 3-27 c. (1) (d)) that reads:

(d) All AMEDD direct commissioned officers of all components will attend the four week AMEDD DCC. The only exception are ARNG and USAR Medical Corps, Dental corps, and Veterinarian corps officers who will attend the three week AMEDD DCC.

All components seems to mean all components including the SEL RES and ARNG... Good news for them is that rather the four weeks they've cut it down to three with a DL portion.

Reactions: 1 user
Going back to 2013, the whole ARNG and Selected Reserve issue has been a hot button for DCC. I really can't speak to what is going to happen there other than to quote the AR 350-1, para 3-27 c. (1) (d)) that reads:

(d) All AMEDD direct commissioned officers of all components will attend the four week AMEDD DCC. The only exception are ARNG and USAR Medical Corps, Dental corps, and Veterinarian corps officers who will attend the three week AMEDD DCC.

All components seems to mean all components including the SEL RES and ARNG... Good news for them is that rather the four weeks they've cut it down to three with a DL portion.

It does say in para 3-27 c (a) that Direct Commisioned officers are those without ROTC - and direct commissioned officers need to go to DCC. Wonder if Navy ROTC would count or if it had to be Army ROTC? Either way I think I should just plan on going to DCC.

Back when MODS was active, I remember filling out an ADT for the early class. However, I have no idea if it ever went through or if I am still a go for June 10. Any idea on how to check?

You can call 1-877-MED-ARMY and they will look it up for you

Do you have to be on scroll to sign up for June?

You have to be scrolled, sign an oath of office, and be appointed in time to get orders. No later than 15 April would be the best date to shoot for the June class

This may be a stupid question, but if I have to do DCC the summer after my first year, is it possible to defer BOLC to the summer after my 3rd year or will it not matter since it will get in the way of studying for step 2?

Is it possible to defer? Yep. However, keep in mind that normally late M3 and early M4 is when you want to do your audition rotations for residency. ADTs are 45 days in total, with a minimum of 21 days at the treatment facility for a total of 90 days. Add in the black out dates of 1-15 October, and you would be hard pressed to do BOLC and two audition rotations either before the start or after the finish of BOLC...

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a stupid question, but if I have to do DCC the summer after my first year, is it possible to defer BOLC to the summer after my 3rd year or will it not matter since it will get in the way of studying for step 2?

For the ARNG side you have 36 months to attend BOLC as medical student. It starts from the day you commission.

Is it possible to defer? Yep. However, keep in mind that normally late M3 and early M4 is when you want to do your audition rotations for residency. ADTs are 45 days in total, with a minimum of 21 days at the treatment facility for a total of 90 days. Add in the black out dates of 1-15 October, and you would be hard pressed to do BOLC and two audition rotations either before the start or after the finish of BOLC...

I have a question regarding post-graduation BOLC. I am a prior service Marine, and have yet to be fully cleared physically for HPSP. I do not foresee an issue being cleared, however, the lengthy clearance process and timing may ruin my chances of attending DCC this summer. If I have to attend DCC between M1 and M2, then BOLC after graduation, will this cause issues with residency?

My school does not have time allotted for the BOLC dates at any other point in the year, and I need to do research between M2 and M3 to boost my chances at residency - leaving only post-graduation and pre-GME to attend BOLC. If accepted to a particular program, can residencies decline my spot for starting late due to BOLC? I really do not know how the GME process works with this sort of thing.

Thanks.

You have to be scrolled, sign an oath of office, and be appointed in time to get orders. No later than 15 April would be the best date to shoot for the June class
When would be the best date to shoot for the July class if the June class fills?

If I have to attend DCC between M1 and M2, then BOLC after graduation, will this cause issues with residency?

You will be reporting to PGY-1 in August rather than June. You may consider foregoing one audition ADT in order to attend BOLC, many are. Should you report late, you will not be alone in this and the real outcome will not be seen until 2020 and beyond.

My school does not have time allotted for the BOLC dates at any other point in the year, and I need to do research between M2 and M3 to boost my chances at residency - leaving only post-graduation and pre-GME to attend BOLC. If accepted to a particular program, can residencies decline my spot for starting late due to BOLC? I really do not know how the GME process works with this sort of thing.

The way that the selection for PGY-1 works, the PD does not have visibility of who attended BOLC and who hasn't. That said, it may be that this becomes one of the "interview questions" during the audition rotations. That said, there have always been some that have not attended BOLC and had to report late. This seemingly has not negatively impacted the programs or the PGY-1 selectees.

A strong candidate is a strong candidate and should be selected over a weaker one.

No later than 15 May
When would be the "latest" time to sign up for the July DCC? Of course, this will change every year, but what is your best guess? Is it almost certain that both classes will fill or is it common for the July class to not be completely filled?

Back when MODS was active, I remember filling out an ADT for the early class. However, I have no idea if it ever went through or if I am still a go for June 10. Any idea on how to check?

Good ole' MODS. I remember when I could log in and check on ****. Back in the day...

@USArmyHPSP
I was commissioned in in January and I'm all signed up for DCC on June 10, but I'm still not yet processed into HRC.
I've been hearing that there have been huge delays in 2LTs getting processed in and getting their CAC cards.
Will I still be able to go to DCC even if I'm not processed?

@USArmyHPSP
I was commissioned in in January and I'm all signed up for DCC on June 10, but I'm still not yet processed into HRC.
I've been hearing that there have been huge delays in 2LTs getting processed in and getting their CAC cards.
Will I still be able to go to DCC even if I'm not processed?

Either send me a PM with your name or call 877-MED-ARMY and speak to a Student Advisor so that they can see what is going on with your record.