HPSP experiences/thoughts/regrets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exHoyaFutureMilitaryMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Y'all..

For those of y'all that are recipients of military's HPSP - may I solicit what your experiences of the program are so far?

Would you care to share any thoughts, feelings, and/or regrets?

I thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

exhoya, what is this program you speak of? I am interested in military (maybe navy?) medicine and want all the info I can get . . .I'll be an msI this fall . ..

It's like ROTC for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey none-- please explain to me how ROTC in undergrad is like HPSP in medschool. . rofl I did 4 years of ROTC, and am currently starting year 3 of a 4 year HPSP scholarship (both Army). I'm curious what aspects make it so similar . . both programs are affiliated with the military, but the processes involved in each differ greatly. I'm anxiously awaiting your reply. :)

That being said, and to answer the original poster's question, I have had nothing but positive experiences with the program. It's not for everyone and you cannot do it strictly for the money, but I think it's a great deal. If you have any specific questions I may be able to help you out a little more.

take it easy

homonculus

It is not at all like ROTC for med school. I also did ROTC as an undergrad. The commitment during the school year in ROTC is great (almost 25% of my credit hours), whereas there is no commitment during med school at all (e.g. I've had long hair and a goatee for most of med school).

HPSP only requires 45 days (called ADT's - active duty training) in the summer for 3 summers. The first summer is OBC - basically a how-to-salute school (because the vast majority on HPSP have no prior service experience whatsoever) and an introduction to army medicine - easy living! The other ADT's are basically clinical rotations. In fact I just did a month of pediatric cardiology at Walter Reed and had an awesome time. If you school schedule doesn't have that time during the summer - like mine last summer - you are able to opt out of doing an ADT at an Army facility and stay at school - no interference.

Other than that, no APFT until you start internship. They are completely hands-off - your military training during med school is simply to obtain your M.D. - nothing more. I have not regretted my decision to do Army medicine one bit - and my last month confirmed that I'm doing the right thing. Military medicine has some huge benefits over civilian, but it's definitely not for everyone, because after all it is the miliitary.

Hope this helps.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•It's like ROTC for medical school.•••••I think he means that they are similar in that both programs pay for school and require a service committment when you are finished. Obviously you are treated differently, because an HPSP student is going to be a doctor while a ROTC grad going to be a line officer. The military is not really that worried about your knowledge of war fighting, because you are definitely not go to have those sorts of jobs.

BTW, I'm at OBC in Texas right now for the Army and lovin it. If it wasn't raining right now I'd be at the pool, since we got out of class early. :wink:

You might want to hold that thought. The Army may be VERY interested in your knowledge of warfighting. Keep in mind, your job will be to keep the warfighters in the fight. How can you do that if you don't understand how they fight and how you support them? Ask any brigade or regimental surgeon what kind of warfighting knowledge he needs and you'll get an earful.

hey none-- please explain to me how ROTC in undergrad is like HPSP in medschool. . rofl I did 4 years of ROTC, and am currently starting year 3 of a 4 year HPSP scholarship (both Army). I'm curious what aspects make it so similar . . both programs are affiliated with the military, but the processes involved in each differ greatly. I'm anxiously awaiting your reply. :)

That being said, and to answer the original poster's question, I have had nothing but positive experiences with the program. It's not for everyone and you cannot do it strictly for the money, but I think it's a great deal. If you have any specific questions I may be able to help you out a little more.

take it easy

homonculus

Bump.

I know it's a really ancient thread, but I am very interested to see if Homonculus, or anybody else who once posted positive remarks about HPSP on SDN a long time ago, still has the same feelings about the scholarship.

Bump.

I know it's a really ancient thread, but I am very interested to see if Homonculus, or anybody else who once posted positive remarks about HPSP on SDN a long time ago, still has the same feelings about the scholarship.

Go to the military forums and there will be plenty of responses and opinions.