HPSP Fit and Branch Specific Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determinedpremed17

Reaction score
Hi! I’m currently a sophomore in undergrad. I was hoping to get some advice about HPSP.

Background Info:
I’m from a military family (dad is an Annapolis grad and is still in after 20+ years) and have always had a desire to serve. I even applied and was accepted to USNA and West Point, but I knew that I wanted to be a doctor and didn’t want to risk not service selecting into MedCorps, so I decided to go to my top choice civilian school over a service academy. I thought I could satisfy my desire to be of service to my country by simply becoming a doctor, but after helping my younger brother with his applications to USNA and USMA this past summer, I realized that I still want to serve my country as an military officer and leader. My desire to serve is my main reason for pursuing HPSP and I’d probably want to stay in for my entire/the majority of my career. As of now, I’m not completely sure what specialty I want to do, but if given the choice, I would probably choose surgery over medicine (I don’t want to be a GP/family med doc).

Questions:
Would I be a good fit for HPSP? Also, to anyone that has gone through HPSP and is now practicing, what has your experience been? I know most of the HPSP content on here is pretty negative, so has anyone actually had positive experiences? Also, would it be feasible to do a surgery residency through HPSP? And, what are the major differences between Navy and Army HPSP? (I know some residency procedures are different, but not sure what else)

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Army is bigger than Navy, so more opportunities.

AD surgery seems to suck right now with no end in sight.

Loans and go reserves after medical school.

Reserves SHOULD be the future of 90% of mil med.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be honest, I completely ignore it when pre-meds say they want to be a surgeon and when anyone who is not prior service says they think they will make the military a career. The reality of what those decisions mean is just nearly impossible to appreciate prior to some lived experience. And I can't emphasize enough that a 20+ year career as an academy grad line officer during the peak of Iraq and Afghanistan is a totally different career than a career as a military physician during whatever the next 20 years brings us.

That being said, the vast majority of people are better off with civilian training and either an active duty sign-on bonus, the Financial Assistance Program, or one of the Reserve/National Guard programs. The few who actually stay in will lose a few years toward retirement but the vast majority will benefit far more from additional career control and being able to make the decision to serve closer to the time they have to act on that commitment. All the medical student programs force you to commit to serving in the military 7+ years after you sign the paperwork. No one would agree to buy a bike 7+ years down the road but somehow it's become reasonable to sign away 4 years of your life that far in advance.

I recommend HPSP for two people: 1) prior service with significant time toward retirement and a commitment to finishing their 20 years or 2) someone who is flexible and is onboard with the adventure of begin a military physician for a few years as a pitstop toward their long-term medical goals. That second point is exceptionally rare, most medical students are extremely type A and have a ridiculously specific road map in mind for their career and view any sort of delay as a form of torture and failure. HPSP can be a good fit for the rare medical student who could genuinely be happy just working a random medical job for a few years even if it's unrelated to their long term specialty goal.

Yes, you can do the majority of specialties including surgical specialties out of any branch through HPSP. Some are more competitive in the military than they would be in the civilian world. Procedural specialties and specialties relying on rare or severe pathology are struggling in the military because most patients are younger and healthier than the civilian population.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to join military for the sake of serving, do military residency, and work full time as military physician for few years or career, HPSP probably isn't a bad gig for you. Reserve is probably a better option if you want to prioritize more of a normal physician career with some ability to serve part time. You can easily pay off your loan with no issues earning civilian paycheck and getting to do some fun military stuff on the side.

Experiences vary significantly as a military physician and really depend on why you wanted to join at the first place and what you want to do with your career (military and medicine). I probably fit the #2 category DeadCactus mentioned in his post above, very rare few who enjoy being in the military as an officer > physician. I am a Navy HPSP recepient, wanted to do General Surgery initially, did military internship in Gen Surg, then became a Flight Surgeon. General surgeon life (especially as a resident) suck really bad, but I probably still would've done the full residency in the military had I not get picked to be a pilot (Aeromedical Dual Designator). At this point, I'm most likely a career military and plan to do Residency in Aerospace Medicine/Occupational Health at some point in the future after my pilot tour.

If you have a reason and willing to deviate from the standard medical career path, you should not have to worry about accepting the HPSP and be stuck with the obiligation... it's a job security while getting to do what you enjoy outside of pure medicine (i.e. flying for me). Most of my Flight Surgeon colleagues, most of whom are now back in civilian residency, still had great time serving without making the drastic changes like myself, and enjoyed their unique expereinces they had while active duty. They are delayed but most are getting back on their normal track in their medical career.

If you have a reason to join that is worth deviating or delaying your traditional physician career path, then for sure take the opportunity. Like DeadCactus said, I would reserve the speciality choices and life long committment decision till a bit further down the road. Never know what opportunity comes your way or unique interest you develop along the way. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Folks that stick around generally have a ‘Forrest Gump’ career, where everything just works out and could never have been planned.

Reactions: 1 user