hpsp for financial reasons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LITTLED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey guys-
I'm looking into the hpsp military plan mainly for financing dental school. I think that under circumstances (ie, if I were not planning on taking on such enormous debt) I probably would not consider the military as a career option for me. Are people that have the military scholarship usually "predisposed" towards a military career? Or do a lot of people take the scholarship to avoid debt? Any HPSP air force participants out there? Any info is appreciated!

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LITTLED
Hey guys-
I'm looking into the hpsp military plan mainly for financing dental school. I think that under circumstances (ie, if I were not planning on taking on such enormous debt) I probably would not consider the military as a career option for me. Are people that have the military scholarship usually "predisposed" towards a military career? Or do a lot of people take the scholarship to avoid debt? Any HPSP air force participants out there? Any info is appreciated!
Andrew is absolutely right. I know the prospective debt can be frightening, but remember that ~4,000 dentists graduate each year, and the overwhelming majority of them do just fine. Just attend the least costly school you're satisfied with, and keep your extra expenses as low as possible while you're in school. You'll be fine. ;)