Dentalkid20

5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental, Dental Student
Hi,
I am applying for the Navy and Army HPSP. I have pre-hypertension. I am 21 years old and in great shape (Not to brag, I can bench over 300lbs and I have a six pack). Basically, I take care of myself. The point is, will they reject me due to my high blood pressure or can they wave this because my pressure is just naturally high? I told the recruiter about the hypertension and she told me to get a diagnosis from my doctor. Has anyone been in this situation? If so, do you know exactly the kind of paperwork they are looking for? I just don't want to take time to do the physical and interviews just to be rejected because my paperwork isn't sufficient.

BobbyBeavis

What are loans?
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Clearly your fitness is not an issue. Try cutting down on sodium/caffeine, and increase uptake of potassium. Above 140/90 is DQ, but many times people get the "White Coat Syndrome" so they can take about 3 readings before it's final.

I am not certain about if there is a waiver for it, however.

chill45

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Whenever I did my meps physical several people had high blood pressures or heart rates and they just let me keep retaking it until it lowered to an acceptable number. I don't know if there is something you can "practice" to lower it temporarily like you can for your pulse but yeah if you take a lot of caffeine or eat a lot of salt I would try to cut that down significantly and see what happens. Sounds like you are big into fitness which i know requires a certain diet to maintain size and strength, but maybe try a new diet for a week and see if it helps. If it does then just follow that again before your physical and you should be good to go. Also if you haven't been officially diagnosed with pre-hypertension (and I mean officially like it's a documented condition and you take medicine for it) then I would be wary about disclosing that because then you'll have to jump through some hoops to get a waiver on something that may not even be an issue. Don't lie but if it's not documented then there is really nothing to disclose.

Koogy

Dreams, passions, & purpose = fulfillment
Jan 4, 2015
Hi,
I am applying for the Navy and Army HPSP. I have pre-hypertension. I am 21 years old and in great shape (Not to brag, I can bench over 300lbs and I have a six pack). Basically, I take care of myself. The point is, will they reject me due to my high blood pressure or can they wave this because my pressure is just naturally high? I told the recruiter about the hypertension and she told me to get a diagnosis from my doctor. Has anyone been in this situation? If so, do you know exactly the kind of paperwork they are looking for? I just don't want to take time to do the physical and interviews just to be rejected because my paperwork isn't sufficient.
If you switch to an all RAW (veggie and plant based diet, and heavy on raw juicing of veggies/some fruit) you can drop your hypertension literally in 1 week (....amazing what nutrition does to the body). I went raw for a few months to get my weight down, and unintentionally dropped from 130/90 to 90/60. Either way, doc at MEPS was impressed! Pumping iron also helps! But raw vegetables help more.