HPSP military scholarships

Discussion in 'Dental' started by RSXer, Nov 14, 2002.

1. RSXer

RSXer :) UoMBCDSCo07 :)
    7+ Year Member

Hi there,

I'm a predent smack in the middle of the application process. I'm done with all my interviews and just waitingto hear back from schools (Dec. 2).

I've always considered military scholarships as my #1 option to pay for dental school and I'd like to hear from some of you that have already chosen to go this way. My brothers have both used the HPSP for medical school (Army and Navy), so I'm familiar with the basic process since the dental HPSP program is very similar to the medical HPSP.

I've done a fair amount of research on it and have heard both the good and the bad. i'm still unsure about my decision and hope to get some extra insight from those who are already in it....ie. YOU!

Can you give me some feedback about what issues I should bring up with my local recruiter?
    -Army vs. Air Force (I'm not looking in the Navy as much, but any help would be great)!
    -Competition for 3 year vs 4year HPSP program (Army, Navy only)
    -Competition for 3 year Air Force HPSP program.
    -Are requirements the same for 3 yr and 4 yr program? (ie. DAT, undergrad GPA, Letters of Rec) Does additional info from your first year indental school have to be submitted as well (if applying for 3 year program?)
    - quality of facilities
    - impressions of Officer Training Course
    -Anything else?

Here's a thread about this in the predental board

Thanks for any info you can help me with. I really don't know which way to go with this. I need your feedback.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. acrunner

acrunner Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm currently in the Army. I guess there is nothing new I could tell you that your siblings couldn't about the scholarship process. I can tell you that I will not be applying for an Army scholarship. I am ready to be finished with my first committment from undergrad and then move on. The Army is more than just a job, it is a lifestyle and you definitely have a dual role as a professional in this organization. I have actually met an MD who got out after 17 years of service b/c he was so fed up with the extra stuff that goes along with being an "Army Provider". I do understand that we need these folks to provide the services they provide, cheers to them. However, it's not for me. As a side note, since the current administration is hell bent on going to war with Iraq, you may want to have a bag packed since that region of the world will have troubles for many many years to come.