HPSP military training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tragicallyhip'n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At any point during your officer's training with the Army HPSP program do you receive actual military training similar to basic training. Any firearm or combat training?

Members don't see this ad.

tragicallyhip'n said:
At any point during your officer's training with the Army HPSP program do you receive actual military training similar to basic training. Any firearm or combat training?

You go to the range during OBC and qualify on the 9mm...I qualified on both the 9 and M16...I've been in country at my current duty assignment and I was out on the range after only a month..it depends on how mission essential your unit is...those that need more time on the range get it..other units that are not do not go as often..ammo is scare and precious..it is not wasted.

tragicallyhip'n said:

If you go to the OBC "short course" you get a basic familiarization with the 9mm. Also some other training such as NBC, land navigation, but at a pretty basic level.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't quote me or anything, but I don't think HPSP'ers get weapons training. I remember reading somewhere on the COT site that among the professional officers being trained, only the JAG core stays an extra day for pistol training, and the HPSP people do not.

UCBShocker said:
Don't quote me or anything, but I don't think HPSP'ers get weapons training. I remember reading somewhere on the COT site that among the professional officers being trained, only the JAG core stays an extra day for pistol training, and the HPSP people do not.

Granted... But, I just finished up an AT where I was able to walk over to the Marine Corps base range and qualify on both the M16 and M9 in the same week. I'm not really sure if I'd call it training, more like testing. But I still got to shoot off about 50 rounds apiece. And now I can wear my little ribbons, too.

However, just remember the ribbons aren't just given away to you by showing up. You do actually have to hit the target well and have a good grouping.

UCBShocker said:

AF HPSPers don't get combat arms training. Not sure about the other services.

Army OBC
You are tested on the M9 and it goes on your record
We shot the M16 but didn't get qualified
We had a lot of mornings where we did the Armys new hand to hand combat training. It is mostly choke holds and arm locks tons of fun beating up other butter bars. :cool: :cool: