HPSP Myth Busters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HPSP Questions, Answers, and Debunking....

Members don't see this ad.

To start this one off:

I'm an Army HPSP student and have recently heard from the Navy and Air Force recruiters that HPSP students could live in military housing if their school was located near a post (or base). They said all you need is an ID card and obtain your orders (assigning you to school) to get put on the waiting list.

Sounds fishy to me since we are not active duty yet. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

To start this one off:

I'm an Army HPSP student and have recently heard from the Navy and Air Force recruiters that HPSP students could live in military housing if their school was located near a post (or base). They said all you need is an ID card and obtain your orders (assigning you to school) to get put on the waiting list.

Sounds fishy to me since we are not active duty yet. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If it sounds to good to be true ............

HPSP students are not eligible for housing. There is a Navy program called HSCP (Health Scholarship Collegiate Program) that puts the student on Active Duty as an E-6 while in school. They are eligible for housing. The downside of this program is that it does not cover tuition, fees, books. This program is not available for medical students, but is available for dental students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the confirmation NavyFP! That explains what the Navy recruiter was talking about - I'm not sure why the Air Force guy was saying this though...

It can be done, but it does sound too good because there are no free lunches. If the post/base/station has housing available is req't #1, and second since you are not pulling in BAH yet, you'll probably have to pay.

But, you never know what might be available if you don't ask. Not asking is the same thing as a "No". But if you don't ask, then you definately won't get a "Yes".

It can be done, but it does sound too good because there are no free lunches. If the post/base/station has housing available is req't #1, and second since you are not pulling in BAH yet, you'll probably have to pay.

But, you never know what might be available if you don't ask. Not asking is the same thing as a "No". But if you don't ask, then you definately won't get a "Yes".

While I agree that if you don't ask the answer is no. In order to be eligible you need to be on orders to a local assignment. HPSP (aside from AT) are not on any orders.

But, what the heck. Ask.

As an HPSP Student, am I able to contribute to a Thrift Savings Plan from my stipend or do I have to wait until active duty for that benefit?

Also, are the Feds still matching a certain percentage with this program?

I believe you can because reservists can. The TSP is available to civilian employees, AD and Reserve. How that works with a stipend is a question for DFAS. If eligible, then the 5% matching is free money.

As an HPSP Student, am I able to contribute to a Thrift Savings Plan from my stipend or do I have to wait until active duty for that benefit?

You have to wait until you are on AD. There is no matching at this time, but it has been discussed.

I don't think you can contribute the stipend. You might be able to contribute from your active duty pay during your ADTs. The questions are:

1) How do you have any money to save given the measly stipend and

2) Why would you contribute to a tax-deferral program rather than a Roth IRA? You will certainly be in a higher tax bracket later than you are in now, unless your spouse is a practicing physician.

Spouse is supporting me through med school, no kids, and we aren't living lavishly.... Just checking on the TSP - didn't want to pass up any of the matching funds (free money).

Thanks for all of the input/advice/suggestions on this one. Will contact DFAS.

First, this forum is great! The HPSP students at my school have had several questions and our "HPSP counselors" have been vague or silent from our perspective on certain issues. Thanks for everyone's input - feel free to post additional questions, answer/update previous questions, or share useful information that you come across....

On to more questions:

1. I'd like to change where my electronic funds transfer goes. I've found the address to mail in the form on the HPSP Handbook and with some Googling have found the form. Will this only affect my HPSP payments (i.e. Stipend and Reimbursements)? Do I need to send in an addition form to change where I receive my ADT pay? If so, where does this go? I didn't know if our paperwork was handled through a different HR office when we are on active duty during the summer.

2. I'm interested in Internal Medicine but would like to do the Aerospace Medicine (Flight Surgeon) course as a student (either as an ADT or 4th year elective rotation). I've heard this course counts as the flight surgeon training (comparable to their residency...possibly like a GMO?) and to avoid this course if you don't want to get stuck as a flight surgeon as a career. I'd like to keep my options open but want to ensure that I get slotted for a medical residency. Any thoughts or clarifications on this?

Thanks again and I appreciate everyone's wisdom and guidance regarding these topics.

First, this forum is great! The HPSP students at my school have had several questions and our "HPSP counselors" have been vague or silent from our perspective on certain issues. Thanks for everyone's input - feel free to post additional questions, answer/update previous questions, or share useful information that you come across....

On to more questions:

1. I'd like to change where my electronic funds transfer goes. I've found the address to mail in the form on the HPSP Handbook and with some Googling have found the form. Will this only affect my HPSP payments (i.e. Stipend and Reimbursements)? Do I need to send in an addition form to change where I receive my ADT pay? If so, where does this go? I didn't know if our paperwork was handled through a different HR office when we are on active duty during the summer.

2. I'm interested in Internal Medicine but would like to do the Aerospace Medicine (Flight Surgeon) course as a student (either as an ADT or 4th year elective rotation). I've heard this course counts as the flight surgeon training (comparable to their residency...possibly like a GMO?) and to avoid this course if you don't want to get stuck as a flight surgeon as a career. I'd like to keep my options open but want to ensure that I get slotted for a medical residency. Any thoughts or clarifications on this?

Thanks again and I appreciate everyone's wisdom and guidance regarding these topics.

1) The change of ETF site will impact all payments from DFAS. So, stipend, reimbursements, and AT funds will all go into the same account.

2) The Aerospace Medicine clerkship for the Navy does NOT count as flight surgery or even part of it. The Navy clerkship is purely an exposure to flight surgery to generate interest. I have heard that the Army and AF may count, but will defer to my service specific counterparts for comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Question:

I'm graduating from NROTC and on my way to med school this fall. My HPSP recruiter told me that I don't need to go to Officer Indoc School (OIS) over the summer. Sounds good to me, but I later read online that skipping OIS is a bad thing if you want a competitive residency later on. Fact or Myth?

By the Way, I read about this at the propeller:

https://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/publications/propeller/index.php

I have a Question:

I'm graduating from NROTC and on my way to med school this fall. My HPSP recruiter told me that I don't need to go to Officer Indoc School (OIS) over the summer. Sounds good to me, but I later read online that skipping OIS is a bad thing if you want a competitive residency later on. Fact or Myth?

You get paid 4 or 5k, why not go? Where else are you going to make that kind of money in 4 weeks of the summer?

You get paid 4 or 5k, why not go? Where else are you going to make that kind of money in 4 weeks of the summer?

I have a friend who was sent to OIS after her internship, right before her UMO/DMO training. So…why not take care of it while in med school and make a few bucks?

I have a Question:

That author doesn't seem to account for those that completed NROTC or USNA. Believe me, you get a more thorough "overview of the Navy/other branch" in NROTC or USNA than you would in OIS. I wouldn't waste your time with it. As a matter of fact, if you can I'd use that AT time to rotate somewhere (not sure if you'll be able to since you haven't actually started med school), start networking, gaining experience, possibly research or just relax until school starts. At least in NROTC, you've seen components of the Line side (unless you're a prior) which most docs won't or never will.

I have a Question:

Myth. You do not need to go to OIS at all. OIS does not impact a competitive residency at all.

I have a Question:

I think this has been answered. OIS would be torture to you, unless you need a UCMJ refresher and some new khakis.

However, I would highly recommend that as many people as possible skip OIS. We had a guy in our intern class who hadn't been to OIS, and it really was good comic relief for the prior enlisted folks in our class (most of the people who had gone to OIS early on didn't really know what was wrong with his uniform anyway.) I would also recommend that if you "plan" on being a flight surgeon that you go ahead and wear the brown shoes. That's a joke, but a guy in my med school class showed up to his first military rotation with butter bars, gut hanging out, brown shoes and black socks. I tried to tell him before he left, but he wouldn't listen.

I think this has been answered. OIS would be torture to you, unless you need a UCMJ refresher and some new khakis.

However, I would highly recommend that as many people as possible skip OIS. We had a guy in our intern class who hadn't been to OIS, and it really was good comic relief for the prior enlisted folks in our class (most of the people who had gone to OIS early on didn't really know what was wrong with his uniform anyway.) I would also recommend that if you "plan" on being a flight surgeon that you go ahead and wear the brown shoes. That's a joke, but a guy in my med school class showed up to his first military rotation with butter bars, gut hanging out, brown shoes and black socks. I tried to tell him before he left, but he wouldn't listen.

If you have a strong desire to be laughed at, skip OIS.(unless you are ROTC, Academy, or prior commissioned officer, then you won't go) You will have to do it before you report to internship though.

Did you find the HPSP stipend was enough to live on?

DNA Helicase - if you live well beneath your means and are extremely thrifty, you might be able to live soley on the stipend...far stretch though.

All but one of the HPSP students at my school are married and our spouse provides the primary income. The single HPSP student has taken out a small loan to help with living expenses.

How difficult is it to do an Internal Medicine ADT rotation at Tripler?

What about the competitiveness of a residency there?

Any thoughts/suggestions on what to do or who to contact to improve competitiveness and/or receive more information?

RE: living on stipend

It totally depends where you live. For example, I live in NYC. Its impossible to afford rent in a decent area on the stipend (and decent does not mean central park view). I would argue its similiar in Boston, Chicago, LA, DC and San Fran. If you live in Buffalo, Omaha, or other smaller cities I would say you can def live on the stipend.

Here is the situation:

HPSP Student has an emergency appendectomy two months prior to going to OBLC. Obviously, student is predicted to make a full recovery and should be in good health for this summer.

I've heard two scenarios for this situation.

1. Everything is 'peachy' and the student will go to basic as planned

2. Student should report the procedure, have to wait 5-6 months for a followup physcial from MEPS before being cleared for basic course (i.e. the student will not be allowed to go to OBLC this summer)

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Thanks for your advice!

Here is the situation:

HPSP Student has an emergency appendectomy two months prior to going to OBLC. Obviously, student is predicted to make a full recovery and should be in good health for this summer.

I've heard two scenarios for this situation.

1. Everything is 'peachy' and the student will go to basic as planned

2. Student should report the procedure, have to wait 5-6 months for a followup physcial from MEPS before being cleared for basic course (i.e. the student will not be allowed to go to OBLC this summer)

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Thanks for your advice!

Eight weeks post op? Should be good to go as long as it was uncomplicated.

Should this be reported somewhere or left unmentioned since a quick, full recovery is expected?

How about this scenario--
I had surgery a month ago on my leg and recovery's not going as well as hoped. Things are still up in the air as to whether I'll be able to go to OBC this summer. Anyone know if there's a deadline by which I need to let someone know if I can't go? Also, if I don't go this summer, do I still get the same stipend as during the year, or do I get no pay for the summer?

How about this scenario--
I had surgery a month ago on my leg and recovery's not going as well as hoped. Things are still up in the air as to whether I'll be able to go to OBC this summer. Anyone know if there's a deadline by which I need to let someone know if I can't go? Also, if I don't go this summer, do I still get the same stipend as during the year, or do I get no pay for the summer?

Early communication is always better. Dropping bombs a day or two before you have to report will not sit well. They will work with you as best they can.

Do Army HPSP students wear the AMEDD patch? I've heard mixed responses from 'yes' to 'no patch at all'....couldn't find it in the allmighty Handbook (which NEEDS to be organized better in my opinion)...

Do Army HPSP students wear the AMEDD patch? I've heard mixed responses from 'yes' to 'no patch at all'....couldn't find it in the allmighty Handbook (which NEEDS to be organized better in my opinion)...

Yes, you wear the AMEDD patch if you are HPSP, the USUHS student will have their own. No unit patch (hopefully) until you are staff.