Navy HPSP Navy application procedural questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDrexler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm starting med school in the fall, and after doing my research on the HPSP, I've decided to apply with the Navy. My local recruiter who I have been speaking with is a friendly enough person, but it is clear that he is a bit inexperienced with this process (he's given me some pretty shaky answers to questions I already knew the answers to and emailed me some forms to fill out that still had some previous applicants' personal info on them), and as such I am curious if my experience thus far is typical.

In terms of paperwork, is there a usual order to this process? I've been sent a bunch of stuff - request for academic transcripts and MCAT score report, prescreening for ODS applicants, academic degree plan, requests for personal references, "commitment to success" form, medical prescreening, disclosure of SSN privacy form, DoD authority for release of info and records consent form, and my personal favorite, the US Navy tattoo screening certificate. The one form that seems conspicuously absent is an explicit "I, ____, am applying for the HPSP, and this essay indicates why." Is this normal? Is the application process usually a scattershot of paperwork like this that arrives in no particular order, or am I at the mercy of a disorganized recruiter?

Also, the recruiter mentioned that there would be a likely interview with two current Navy physicians. I've heard of people who have gotten the scholarship both with and without an interview. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, the recruiter mentioned that there would be a likely interview with two current Navy physicians. I've heard of people who have gotten the scholarship both with and without an interview. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

For the Navy currently your package won't even be looked at by the Board unless you have the two interviews complete. They don't have to be in person interviews, but could be via telephone or Skype or similar methods.

I don't have a great answer to your paperwork question.

I think I can provide you some insight due to going through the process this time last year and having many years of enlisted time. I think your experience is fairly typical and there may be no defined way of doing things which also could be dependent on the recruiter. My recruiter was a Hospital Corpsman which made the process a whole lot smoother when it came time to submit all of the necessary medical paperwork and just his ability to get things done being that the HPSP is a medical program. A recruiter who isn't a Corpsman may have a tougher time but don't let that discourage you. Most recruiters may not be familiar with the entirety of the HPSP but they should be capable enough to know how to complete all of your paperwork for the Board. Remember to keep copies of everything and follow up often with your recruiter to track their progress. Much of what you see now is how administrative matters in the Navy get done…which isn't the most efficient way to do it. As for the interviews, you will need two interviews either done in person or by phone. This whole process takes several months. In addition, you will need to get a physical done along with all of the necessary lab work which will take time and if you require a waiver then that will require additional time. Good luck!

Thank you to both of you, your answers are very helpful. Interesting that the Navy requires 2 interviews and the Army requires none.