Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

HPSP NAVY scholarship

Discussion in 'Dental' started by xc1999, Nov 30, 2002.

1. xc1999

xc1999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hello all,

I'm a pre-dental student, and I was wondering if anyone here happens to be on the Navy HPSP scholarship? (Not the army or air force...just the navy). I'm asking about this one specifically because I've heard the treatment from the army isn't so great and they treat you a little better in the Navy as well.

If anyone is on this scholarship, I would like some feedback on how the program is. Is it all worth it? When do you usually start training? Are they flexible with you if you can't appear on a certain date (1st day of training/boot camp for instance)? And do they pay for ALL of your tuition?

Thanks a lot; all input will be very much appreciated :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kazbar

kazbar New Member

I've had a positive experience with the Navy so far. I'm on the four year scholarship & owe 4 years when I graduate. I went to OIS (officer indoctrination school) in Newport, RI the summer before I started dental school. It was 6 weeks, I think (it was 3 1/2 years ago), & wasn't too bad. Each summer you have to do 45 days of training (aka AT), but if you want you can get 'school orders,' where you report to the nearest base on the first day & then report out on the 45th day. All they require is that you stay close to home during the 45 days (no trips to Barbados). Or you can do a clerkship at a Navy base for part of the 45 days & the remainder as school orders.

They pay for nearly everything: books, tuition, loupes, & most fees. The only thing they didn't cover at my school was a $100 transportation fee each semester. But you get a ~$1000 stipend each month, which has increased each year. I didn't have to deal with tuition or fees - the school took care of it with the Navy. But getting reimbursed for books, etc. was slow - usually taking 1-2 months & several times they lost my receipts, etc. & I had to send it all over again (make copies of any receipts you want to be reimbursed for).

I don't know if their is anything else you want to know. I guess whether it is worth it or not is a personal decision. I'm glad I did it & am proud to serve.

4. Traumaturtle

Traumaturtle Future Trauma Surgeon
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    were you pre-dent as well or did you take the money for medical school? I'm wondering how residency/fellowships work. I've heard its more pay then average, but do I have to "give back" for that too? I've also heard that if you take 4 years of money, they put your name in a "hat" and you may be required to do an extra year. Ever heard of that?

#3 Traumaturtle, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  5. maroon95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    shaving your head... is it required?
    :(

6. FutureDent020

FutureDent020 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    :laugh: NO!

7. browncrack

browncrack Flood Damage
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    This thread is over seven years old. There is a predental forum. There is a military dentistry forum. There is a search function. Call a recruiter. This has been beat to death.

#6 browncrack, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  8. FutureDent020

FutureDent020 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    They obviously know about the search function considering they revived a 7 year old thread.