HPSP Payback at a VA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Special Delivery

Lots of Cynical Experience
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of an attending doing some or all of their obligation at a VA hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Not me.

The military requires you to fulfill your obligation in places where it has billets. Like hospitals or commands that it owns. The military does not own any VA hospitals. We provide services to veterans and their family members at our hospitals and clinics, but the VA is something entirely different. They get their money from different sources and contract their needs through civilian providers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not me.

The military requires you to fulfill your obligation in places where it has billets. Like hospitals or commands that it owns. The military does not own any VA hospitals. We provide services to veterans and their family members at our hospitals and clinics, but the VA is something entirely different. They get their money from different sources and contract their needs through civilian providers.

I didn't think so, but was curious. Thanks for the prompt response!

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of an attending doing some or all of their obligation at a VA hospital?

I have heard of this, but under unusual circumstances. It is NOT the mainstay and not to be expected.

It used to be an option for the government. One of the contract repayment options outside of the military was to permit the Secretary of HHS to assign you to an appropriate job. I have to assume this was an option for an individual ineligible to continue in military service but otherwise both a desirable and willing candidate with a repayment obligation. Theoretically any civilian DOD, PHS or HHS assignment would qualify. I am sure if in the imagined baseball card trading session the DVA wanted you they could have you, although I am not sure what they would trade in exchange.

It used to be an option for the government. One of the contract repayment options outside of the military was to permit the Secretary of HHS to assign you to an appropriate job. I have to assume this was an option for an individual ineligible to continue in military service but otherwise both a desirable and willing candidate with a repayment obligation. Theoretically any civilian DOD, PHS or HHS assignment would qualify. I am sure if in the imagined baseball card trading session the DVA wanted you they could have you, although I am not sure what they would trade in exchange.

Maybe a 1951 Willie Mays or 1938 Joe DeMaggio? :D