HPSP Physical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinkerbelle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what exactly do they do during the HPSP physicals? Is it just a normal checkup (check weight, height, bp, etc)? Or is there something more? Do they make you take your clothes off?

Members don't see this ad.

tinkerbelle said:
So what exactly do they do during the HPSP physicals? Is it just a normal checkup (check weight, height, bp, etc)? Or is there something more? Do they make you take your clothes off?

Not a normal check up. I made that mistake too. Its an all day ordeal. Eye checks, hearing checks, EKG, labs, duck walks, taking your clothes off etc. It ain't what your family doc did before you joined the soccer team every fall.

Wow. Good to know. Thanks for the info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Desperado said:
Not a normal check up. I made that mistake too. Its an all day ordeal. Eye checks, hearing checks, EKG, labs, duck walks, taking your clothes off etc. It ain't what your family doc did before you joined the soccer team every fall.

Didn't have an EKG done on me when I went in at the Boston MEPS, but perhaps that's an old/new thing.

Vision, hearing, labs, scoliosis, toe-to-heel, heel-to-toe, ROM, and piss test. Good times.

If it's at MEPS, I apologize in advance.

I remember when I went through they found I had no depth perception. I thought this was odd, since I was a successful fencer at the time and didn't tend to run into door jambs or anything. They told the guy next to me, who was enlisting, that he had great vision and could be a pilot, but I wasn't qualified.

My in-laws paid for a civilian eye exam. My depth perception was fine. I had absolutely no problems. I didn't realize that MEPs wasn't the last word. I got scheduled for a flight physical, passed it, and went on to UPT (where I had to take about two more flight physicals, man we took a lot of physicals).

You also generally get a breathalyzer test at MEPs if it matters to you.

dont' forget the drug test, pregrency test (if you hapen to be a female), and if you get a reatarded doc like i did, then they will send half the people 2 get some "condition" evaluated....this girl was sent out for a thoroughal eye exam because she had severe astigmatism and the MEPS doc thought it was god knows what...

oh yea they watch u piss....now why dont recruiters tell u that

yea good times :smuggrin:

exia80 said:
oh yea they watch u piss....now why dont recruiters tell u that

yea good times :smuggrin:

What's funny is that we were lined up in front a row of urinals, and had to 'deliver' while someone was watching down the line. Quite a few people, knowing someone was watching them, couldn't go.

Of course, this led to the guy watching growling out "Whatsa matter - forget how to piss? What's wrong with you guys."

Like that made it any easier for them to finally go.

The ID sticker I had to wear when I got to MEPS must have indicated that I was going into HPSP, as several times, the staff caught themselves about to yell at me and stopping after looking at the sticker, and at other times, stopping themselves just before they called me 'sir', which they did not call any other examinee that day.

Or perhaps they just took pity on me.

Yeah, good times.

yeah, they give you the option to do a 'private' exam and all since you're going to be an officer. i went in with the enlisted guys. same thing - i got screamed at too until they saw I was HPSP.

an yes, the pee-shyness is pretty common. it took me 5 minutes to get a stream going since I had a TSgt watching and tapping his foot and sighing. talk about embarrassing. 'we must see the urine exit your body for the test to be valid' or something.

the duck walk in underwear with 30 other guys certainly was entertaining too.

glad that nonsense is over with! but in the long run it's not that big of a deal.

tkim6599 said:
The ID sticker I had to wear when I got to MEPS must have indicated that I was going into HPSP, as several times, the staff caught themselves about to yell at me and stopping after looking at the sticker, and at other times, stopping themselves just before they called me 'sir', which they did not call any other examinee that day.
they were nice 2 me except for this one bitchy girl....i wanted 2 tell her 2 watch her mouth but unfortunatelly i wasn'c commishioned yet. she really got on my nerves like no otehr person...the people who handled my file were especially nice...i assuem it was because of hpsp

tomplatz said:
yeah, they give you the option to do a 'private' exam and all since you're going to be an officer. i went in with the enlisted guys. same thing - i got screamed at too until they saw I was HPSP

i didnt know that a "private" exam was an option.... :laugh:
i think the guys got screamed at but i am not sure....girls had 2 put up with a girl private who thought she was the s*it...sigh

tkim6599 said:

Or perhaps they just took pity on me.

Yeah, good times.

When I went through MEPS my checklist sheet was on colored card stock quality paper while everyone else's was on cheap white copy paper. Everyone wondered why mine was different until the got the clue that it was a commissioning physical vs. enlistment physical. Several of the enlistees had trouble passing the breathalyzer, because this was their first time out of town. They'd been bussed in from Podunk, OK to OKC and placed in a hotel. I heard about their wild night with a mix of male and female enlistees plus lots of EtOH.

tomplatz said:

Well, I felt bad for the guy who fell over while doing the walk. Later, he was told that he didn't pass because he was overweight.

I wasn't laughing, as I was told that I was seven pounds over myself. Two weeks and a case of SlimFast later, I made it under. Though I do think the recruiter's advice to 'suck in my gut' while getting taped helped somewhat. :D

Oh well, that's about the extent of my military experience, as I regretfully declined the scholarship right after my son was born. I respect all of you that have the balls to serve.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may as well get used to being watched while urinating now. It will become a part of your military career. They always watch during UAs... they must for the test to be valid.

And I don't necessarily think that it's a bad idea for officers to get a taste of what enlisted go through. You have to be exposed a bit so that you can understand them and lead them effectively.

tomplatz said:

Stupid question, what is this "duck walk"? I do my physical on Friday.

actually the duck walk is the hardest part. You squat down, knees bent (like you are going to take a crap in the woods, only lower to the ground), you then waddle to the end of the room and back without putting your hands or knees on the ground. You will feel it in your hips, knees, and thighs....not that comfortable, but not that hard either.

Ahhhhh, the joys of MEPS. Nothing quite like it. My only experience with MEPS is as an enlistee. January, 1999. Waiting forever in lines, observed UA's, the doctors that time forgot, hearing, vision, and breathalyzer tests; the fun never stops. And that is before the nearly nude duck walking and neurological exam. Don't forget about bending over and spreading the cheeks for the hemorrhoid exam! GREAT times! MoosePilot, I went through OKC MEPS too. When did you go through?

ArmyDoc1999 said:
Ahhhhh, the joys of MEPS. Nothing quite like it. My only experience with MEPS is as an enlistee. January, 1999. Waiting forever in lines, observed UA's, the doctors that time forgot, hearing, vision, and breathalyzer tests; the fun never stops. And that is before the nearly nude duck walking and neurological exam. Don't forget about bending over and spreading the cheeks for the hemorrhoid exam! GREAT times! MoosePilot, I went through OKC MEPS too. When did you go through?

That would have been sometime around 1995, before going to field training, I think.

the doctors that time forgot,

:laugh: no doubt!! I went through as enlisted in 2000...what a fun day.

If I am currently AD and will have a USUHS physical (DODMERB) completed, do I have to do anything else for HPSP physical.

Just curious; I know I'll find out in due time, but would like to find out now.

Thanks for any help!

Sorry...i just saw the other thread about the non-reciprocity of HPSP and USUHS physicals.

My ammended question, however...

If AD, do I still need a special HPSP physical or do they look at those records?

Thanks!

Zappa said:
Sorry...i just saw the other thread about the non-reciprocity of HPSP and USUHS physicals.

My ammended question, however...

If AD, do I still need a special HPSP physical or do they look at those records?

Thanks!
I was a prior AD 4N0, and I'm now in my second year of med school. If I remember correctly, you will not need another exam. The applications board will just want copies of pertinent paperwork from your existing medical record.

cdreed said:
I was a prior AD 4N0, and I'm now in my second year of med school. If I remember correctly, you will not need another exam. The applications board will just want copies of pertinent paperwork from your existing medical record.

This is correct. My last AD physical was adequate for my HPSP application.

cdreed, armydoc,

Thanks guys...one less thing to worry about right now!