HPSP Rejected, now what

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This respone to DrReo applies for the Navy personnel on the HSCP since I have verified knowledge of this. I don't know about anyone else Navy or other branch who are on the HPSP. Two of my buddies were selected recently for Pros residency starting next summer. They are on the HSCP like me. Graduation is around May 21 next year. Residencies start end of June. There is no time to go to Officer training between graduation and the start of residency. So, they will go after they finish their residencies. Now, I assume it would be the same for the Navy HPSP who weren't able to go during d-school, but I am not sure. For those of us on the HSCP, we cannot go to officer training until after dental school since you must be an officer when at COT/ODS. Those of us on the HSCP are enlisted (E-6 or E-7) during this time and aren't eligible to attend until we are commissioned the day of or day after graduation. (For me, I don't have to attend ODS because I already attended OCS back in 1998. - so none of this applies to me.)

I think we need AFDDS to answer how this works for the AF personnel.

I second this notion!!

Members don't see this ad.

Please expand on what you mean by 'REAL' facts and what you are implying are not 'REAL'

What I know about the Army is what the recruiters told me and my little experience/observation on a few bases.

What I meant by REAL is what is exactly going on at the military bases people have worked at. I don't want to tell anyone things I hear or "think" because it would be inaccurate. :thumbup:

What I know about the Army is what the recruiters told me and my little experience/observation on a few bases.

What I meant by REAL is what is exactly going on at the military bases people have worked at. I don't want to tell anyone things I hear or "think" because it would be inaccurate. :thumbup:

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure what you meant.

Members don't see this ad :)
This respone to DrReo applies for the Navy personnel on the HSCP since I have verified knowledge of this. I don't know about anyone else Navy or other branch who are on the HPSP. Two of my buddies were selected recently for Pros residency starting next summer. They are on the HSCP like me. Graduation is around May 21 next year. Residencies start end of June. There is no time to go to Officer training between graduation and the start of residency. So, they will go after they finish their residencies. Now, I assume it would be the same for the Navy HPSP who weren't able to go during d-school, but I am not sure. For those of us on the HSCP, we cannot go to officer training until after dental school since you must be an officer when at COT/ODS. Those of us on the HSCP are enlisted (E-6 or E-7) during this time and aren't eligible to attend until we are commissioned the day of or day after graduation. (For me, I don't have to attend ODS because I already attended OCS back in 1998. - so none of this applies to me.)

I think we need AFDDS to answer how this works for the AF personnel.

AEGD programs are designed to start after COT. Going to COT after dental school won't affect starting an AEGD.

Traditional specialties can be a problem. You need to go to COT before the residency program. If you graduate on time, you can make it to COT before the residency starts. It's best if you can attend COT while in school, if you want to go to a traditional specialty program. If you can't, it could affect your start date for a residency.

AEGD programs are designed to start after COT. Going to COT after dental school won't affect starting an AEGD.

Traditional specialties can be a problem. You need to go to COT before the residency program. If you graduate on time, you can make it to COT before the residency starts. It's best if you can attend COT while in school, if you want to go to a traditional specialty program. If you can't, it could affect your start date for a residency.

It is good for the Navy folk that they work with you around this little matter (for the HSCP folk at least) since you cannot attend ODS before residency.

It is good for the Navy folk that they work with you around this little matter (for the HSCP folk at least) since you cannot attend ODS before residency.

The AF has worked around this before as well. I can't say it will always be that way, but it has happened.

Today I got my letter:
"your application for commission as naval officer through the Dental HPSP has been carefully reviewed. Due to the overhelming response this year for our program, we have already met our accession quotas for dentalstudents graduating in 2011 and 2012.
I must advise you that we will not be able to award you a scholarship at this time... bla bla bla".

So no NAVY career for me too...

Today I got my letter:
"your application for commission as naval officer through the Dental HPSP has been carefully reviewed. Due to the overhelming response this year for our program, we have already met our accession quotas for dentalstudents graduating in 2011 and 2012.
I must advise you that we will not be able to award you a scholarship at this time... bla bla bla".

So no NAVY career for me too...

So, what that means is that they have filled the 3 year (for graduating C/O 2011) and 4 year scholarships (for graduating C/O 2012) for this year. Once October 1st gets here, more funding will be available. No, this doesn't mean your chances of a Navy career are out. You just have to wait until OCT before the next 4 year scholarships are available (for graduating C/O 2013).

Man, sorry to hear the news. What was your GPA and DAT? If it is good, you should definitely try again.

Man, sorry to hear the news. What was your GPA and DAT? If it is good, you should definitely try again.

my wife was happy about this rejection (she kinda dislikes military lifestyle). And she started crying when she heard that I talked with Army recruiter today. I am meeting with him tomorrow. Will see where it ends.
I am going through advanced training program for foreign trained dentists, so I didn't took DAT. I have NBDE both parts (86/80 low side, but I had no time to prepare and was couple weeks back from deployment right before I took them), and GPA is 3.94.

Navy career is over.... will see where Army will take me

my wife was happy about this rejection (she kinda dislikes military lifestyle). And she started crying when she heard that I talked with Army recruiter today. I am meeting with him tomorrow. Will see where it goes.
I am going through advanced training program for foreign trained dentists, so I didn't took DAT. I have NBDE both parts (86/80 low side, but I had no time to prepare and was couple weeks back from deployment right before I took them), and GPA is 3.94.

Navy career is over.... will see where Army will take me

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Army, Navy and AF are in the same situation right now. ALL scholarships are gone until new funding is available after OCT 1st. So, if you are stating the Navy career is over, then the same goes for the Army and AF. More scholarships will be available after OCT 1st in all services. The only way your Navy career is over is if they told you we do not want you. Do not reapply. If they told you this, then yes your carreer is over before it began. But if all they told you is that the scholarships were out, then it is not over.

Another note, man, you need to involve your wife in this decision. If you take the scholarship when she is crying and doesn't want you to join, you are making a MAJOR gamble with your marriage. The military has a VERY high divorce rate when compared to civilian life. Deployments eother make or BREAK a relationship. If you truly love yor wife, seriously take her feelings and opinion into account before applying. Otherwise, you run the risk of losing her. I've seen it happen!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Army, Navy and AF are in the same situation right now. ALL scholarships are gone until new funding is available after OCT 1st. So, if you are stating the Navy career is over, then the same goes for the Army and AF. More scholarships will be available after OCT 1st in all services. The only way your Navy career is over is if they told you we do not want you. Do not reapply. If they told you this, then yes your carreer is over before it began. But if all they told you is that the scholarships were out, then it is not over.

I spent 4.5 year in the Navy as enlisted. Had a perfect evals, reviews, recommendations (from officers, chiefs and personal recommendation letter from CO).

The letter I received states that they "already met accession quotas for dental students graduating in 2011 and 2012" (I will graduate in 2012). There was no mentioning about next fiscal year. And the only option they offered was to try to come back when I graduate and have dental license.

I am not against to wait till October or November. But Navy didn't offer that option for me. Not sure where Army is right now - will I have to wait till next fiscal year or if they also have met their quotas (will see it tomorrow).

Another note, man, you need to involve your wife in this decision. If you take the scholarship when she is crying and doesn't want you to join, you are making a MAJOR gamble with your marriage. The military has a VERY high divorce rate when compared to civilian life. Deployments eother make or BREAK a relationship. If you truly love yor wife, seriously take her feelings and opinion into account before applying. Otherwise, you run the risk of losing her. I've seen it happen!

As I said, we already have military life experience. She will go where I go (or military will take us). We already talked about possible military career continuation before I applied for Navy HPSP. She would like to settle, but will support me whatever lifestyle I will choose (I think, I am the happiest man to have such loving wife).

Tomorrow I should find if my military career is over, or .....

I spent 4.5 year in the Navy as enlisted. Had a perfect evals, reviews, recommendations (from officers, chiefs and personal recommendation letter from CO).

The letter I received states that they "already met accession quotas for dental students graduating in 2011 and 2012" (I will graduate in 2012). There was no mentioning about next fiscal year. And the only option they offered was to try to come back when I graduate and have dental license.

I am not against to wait till October or November. But Navy didn't offer that option for me. Not sure where Army is right now - will I have to wait till next fiscal year or if they also have met their quotas (will see it tomorrow).

As I said, we already have military life experience. She will go where I go (or military will take us). We already talked about possible military career continuation before I applied for Navy HPSP. She would like to settle, but will support me whatever lifestyle I will choose (I think, I am the happiest man to have such loving wife).

Tomorrow I should find if my military career is over, or .....

My comments were based solely on your comments you posted here. Since you have been in the Navy, then you and your wife know what you are getting into. Based on yor comment about your wife was happy, disllikes mthe military lifestyle and crying from talking to Army, thattells me that she is only willing to DEAL with you going military because she loves you. You might want to put yourself in her shoes and take her feelings into consideration. She may have said she supports you, but based on your description of her and how she feels and reacts, she doesn't want the military lifestyle at all. Is the military really worth it??? My wife's feelings come first and foremost. If she was happy I didn't get accepted and she started to cry when talking to another branch, to me it would be a no brainer - I would forget about the military and take out student loans!!! I know my wife would be like yours in that she supports anything I want, but as much as I LOVE the military I would give it up for her in the link of an eye! I live to support her feelings as she is the other and better half of me.

Hey guys,
Thought I would do an update of how tutition payment is made if you commissioning is happening after the start of d-school. I talked to Mrs. Samson this morning and the Navy will pay whole the semester, trimester or however ur school is organized of the date of ur commissioning. In my example, USC is on a trimester, Fall, Spring, Summer. My commission is scheduled to occur on April 1, 2010. This date will be in my Spring trimester, Jan-April, so the Navy will pick up the tab for whole trimester. (They dont do prorate anything) If you guys are out there trying to do figure out how much loan to take, plan on taking the amount for the semester u are responsible and not for the semester during which u are commissioned.

-Wilson
p.s. If you want Mrs. Samson's number to talk about ur own case, PM. She works for the scholarship office and is responsible for coordinating payments with ur school.

My two cents worth. If you didn't get the scholarship don't freak out. It isn't the end of the world. It is more important that you got into dental school. Everything will work out and don't force it. Things happen for a reason.

I applied for the 3 year AF HPSP because it was the largest scholarship offered to non academy undergraduates or guys who were already officers. I was rejected. I then applied for the Army 3 year scholarship because I was too late for the 4 year scholarship. I got rejected. I just went on and got loans. No big deal. You'll pay no matter if you get that money from a traditional lender or from the military. They just extract their payment in different ways.

3 weeks into my second year of dental school the Air Force guy called me up and said someone refused their scholarship and so they offered it to me and it was retroactive for the 3 weeks. I took it. I ended up getting a deferrment after dental school and did OMFS at a civilian program (a phenomenol deal that isn't offered anymore but at least they'll take people directly into military residency now). Now with less than a year to go in my commitment, I realize that either path has its positives and negatives. Getting private loans isn't the end of the world. You work hard, live smart, and get out of debt as fast as you can. You get a military scholarship, you should avoid most all of the debt and pay it back with time making between 65 and 85 thousand a year. It all works out. Everything happens for a reason. Enjoy school, do your best, move on with your life. Don't force anything. The Air Force is loaded with dentists in the HPSP program right now. You can learn a ton on the outside if you are motivated. Sometimes you can't learn as much as you'd like in the military.... six of one half dozen of the other. Be grateful for your situation, it has its advantages. Don't get so fatal about getting in or not getting into the HPSP program.