HPSP scholarship LOR - Interfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying for the HPSP scholarship, and I have competitive stats for the scholarship.

3.55 GPA
33 MCAT

I understand that the scholarship requires 3 LORs, and I am wondering if I can have Interfolio submit those LORs to a designated HPSP address? I am using Interfolio for all my MD and DO applications, so the questions is whether or not HPSP will accept letters send through Interfolio?

If not, then I have to remind my professors to keep a copy of the letter.

Thanks folks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used interfolio to send the letters to my recruiter.

I used interfolio to send the letters to my recruiter.

Splendid!

Did the letter writers have to fill out additional paper work ?

Also, I've heard of the automatic acceptance cut off of 3.5 and 29. Those still true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Splendid!

Did the letter writers have to fill out additional paper work ?

Also, I've heard of the automatic acceptance cut off of 3.5 and 29. Those still true?

I had my letter writers edit letters to address military medicine candidacy and then upload those letters to interfolio.

I don't know of automatic acceptances, but I was selected with slightly worse numbers. So long as you have med school acceptance I imagine you are fine.

I had my letter writers edit letters to address military medicine candidacy and then upload those letters to interfolio.

I don't know of automatic acceptances, but I was selected with slightly worse numbers. So long as you have med school acceptance I imagine you are fine.

Thanks for the info.

Does the HPSP scholarship requires a complete copy of your AMCAS/AACOMAS application?

Sorry for these questions, but there doesn't seem to be any information online regarding the specifics of the HPSP scholarship.

Talk to a healthcare recruiter in your area for more info on application and process.

I think the dudes on this board will say that searching threads on sdn will get you more answers as to what you are signing up for.

edit: i do not recall providing a copy of my application to recruiter

Talk to a healthcare recruiter in your area for more info on application and process.

I think the dudes on this board will say that searching threads on sdn will get you more answers as to what you are signing up for.

edit: i do not recall providing a copy of my application to recruiter

You are such a helpful SDNer.

You did apply to Army, right?

I just had my references mail the letter directly to the local office, but if I remembered I still had an interfolio subscription I would have used that.

I just had my references mail the letter directly to the local office, but if I remembered I still had an interfolio subscription I would have used that.

Good to know.

Someone told me a while ago that the army (possibly air force as well) is desperately looking for people to fill their slots with. This true from your experiences?

Good to know.

Someone told me a while ago that the army (possibly air force as well) is desperately looking for people to fill their slots with. This true from your experiences?

I do know that I got accepted to medical school fairly late (March this year), diddled around debating the pros and cons of HPSP before deciding this month to finish it if it wasn't too late. The impression I got at the local office was that it was almost too late, but I still had a great chance of landing the scholarship. Everything is submitted now and I should know by July whether I have it or not.

I do know that I got accepted to medical school fairly late (March this year), diddled around debating the pros and cons of HPSP before deciding this month to finish it if it wasn't too late. The impression I got at the local office was that it was almost too late, but I still had a great chance of landing the scholarship. Everything is submitted now and I should know by July whether I have it or not.

Got it. I am submitting my primary in a couple of weeks, and I am starting the HPSP process almost immediately.

I've already initiated contact with a local recruiter.

I am thinking about applying for the HPSP scholarship, and I have competitive stats for the scholarship.

3.55 GPA
33 MCAT

I understand that the scholarship requires 3 LORs, and I am wondering if I can have Interfolio submit those LORs to a designated HPSP address? I am using Interfolio for all my MD and DO applications, so the questions is whether or not HPSP will accept letters send through Interfolio?

If not, then I have to remind my professors to keep a copy of the letter.

Thanks folks!

USAREC 601-105 should answer most questions you have about the application process: http://www.usarec.army.mil/im/formpub/REC_PUBS/R601_105.pdf

Chapter 7 addresses auto acceptances.

Read in conjunction with AR 601-141, you should know everything you need to know about the Army HPSP: http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_141.pdf

I'm sure these exist for the other services, but I don't know the pub numbers. Basics are probably going to be very similar, just some differences in how they treat GMO tours and things like COT vs. ODS...

Edit: Might also look at 600-4 if you're super gung-ho. If you can make it past that paragraph about the Warrior Ethos without a Red Bull, you're lifer material: http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/p600_4.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For Navy there is no auto acceptance; however your numbers would be considered competitive.

Thanks!

Army is my number one choice by far.

I don't want to be on the water or in the air; I like to stay on the ground.

Everyone makes bad choices in life, it's okay :)

If you become a navy physician, it is almost guaranteed that you'll serve time on either ships or submarines, right?

Not a fan of these places at all.

If you become a navy physician, it is almost guaranteed that you'll serve time on either ships or submarines, right?

Not a fan of these places at all.

Never been on either one. You would never be on a submarine for sure unless you actively sought it out

Never been on either one. You would never be on a submarine for sure unless you actively sought it out

I see.

From your profile, you are a navy physician?

Are you planning on getting out of the service as soon as your time is up? Do military physicians have any difficulties finding employment in the civilian sector?

Think long and hard about this commitment. The words "four years" or "three years" might not sound that long, but they can be if this isn't right for you. It depends on which particular challenge you value -- do you value being challenged by medicine and case complexity or do you value an atypical set of challenges, namely discipline, leadership, and camaraderie -- with these challenges comes bureacracy, Computer Based Training, and a self-selected crowd of senior leaders, some of which... well let's just say have varying reasons as to why they are still in the military and not practicing on the outside. That is not to say that there aren't some incredible leaders and mentors -- I have had a few who I will never be able to thank fully for their contribution to my character.

I have many family members who served with distinction, and I value military service. Even with that history, I have come to the realization that while I excel at my job, it makes me far less happy than when I practiced EVEN as an intern on the outside.

Do not take this decision lightly. Do your homework.

Reactions: 1 user