Aug 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey everybody, I am a D1 on the HPSP scholarship. Long story short, I am contemplating trying to switch to medical school. If I was not on the HPSP, it would be a straight forward process of dropping out and sending in medical school apps. I don't think this is possible due to my service contract though. Because of this, I am looking into the possibility/feasibility of transferring my dental HPSP scholarship to a medical HPSP scholarship if I were to gain acceptance to medical school. Plus, I am excited to serve in the military and would like to keep this in my future.

Has anyone heard of this or something similar happening? My service contract addresses transferring between schools and "changing majors" but I'm not sure if this would apply to changing professional programs. I am planning on speaking to my program manager about this but wanted to see what the general consensus on here was first as I'm concerned (maybe irrationally) that asking may put a black mark on my record.

I realize I should have thought of this before commissioning and starting dental school, but I am an example of sunken cost fallacy. I understand this is a long shot but I greatly appreciate any insight or advice you may have.

D1Bound

2+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I wish you the best of luck. I would be super careful. You were chosen for a competitive scholarship. If you can't end up switching scholarships, that may burn you if you try to go for HPSP again. This is a drastic change I'm curious what has swayed you.

TheEpikBurrito

2+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2017
I was on the 4-year Air Force Dental HPSP and left dental school to switch to medical school. Just contact the program manager or a recruiter to get more info. I know each branch is a little different.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads