HPSP Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haujun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are rumors saying that there are shortages of applicants signing up for the scholarship?! Many military doctors are not happy--only about 15% HPSP recepients decide to stay in. Many of these doctors who decide to stay in because they were prior service are not happy. Is it difficult to be selected to receive the HPSP scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by haujun:
•There are rumors saying that there are shortages of applicants signing up for the scholarship?! Many military doctors are not happy--only about 15% HPSP recepients decide to stay in. Many of these doctors who decide to stay in because they were prior service are not happy. Is it difficult to be selected to receive the HPSP scholarship?•••••There is alot of BS being floated in medical schools concernig military programs. Some people are just plain not interested and can not understnad why you would be(especially in my school where wanting to be soldier and proud of being a soldier make me stand out from the masses). I have very little bad to say about th Army and being a physician. There is the chance of deployment, but that is a possibility with every one in the Army. A retired surgeon (a full bird colonel) said it was like being in the world's best fraternity-- I never thought of it this way, but I understand what he means. I am at most times prouder to be an officer in the US Army than to say I am a medical student. That is just me though. I have NEVER EVER had a bad experience in Army from OBC onwards. I have done and will continue to do militrayr rotations in the hope I get selected to do a general surgery or orthopedics residency at an Army hospital( any of them would be a great victory for me). I really like the attendings--very bright, the nice people you meet on military posts and the cameraderie between the staff and residents that I heve never seen in civilian programs. THere is more fundung and ancillary staff than at other hospitals-- less scut for student and intern. I would also like to go to airborne school someday. I have to hope that it happens, as I am making my fourth year plans in the hope that I match at one of these military programs.

I am glad that you are happy about your military experience so far. I am sure many military physicians started their career with optimism and idealism. As an active duty soldier for four years I encounter many military physicians who are not basically very happy about their careers in the Army. I am talking about Major Promotable who has graduated from West Point and was a combat officer for ten years before going to civilian medical school. Although he is a part of only 15% who decide to stay in after four year obligation he is not happy. The source of unhappiness consists of many parts. Basically he is telling me that it is much easier to see fourty patients in the civilian sector than seeing twenty soldiers in the military. Many miltary patients also see different doctor on their visit and the patients are happy either. Of course this is unavoidable problem in the military. Military physicians go on leave, get deployed etc... Although his opinion may be an aberration from the norm I hear similiar comments made by other military physicians (Captain thru Lieutenance Colonel).
This is the advice coming from the senior officer: I hope that medical students do not just jump in to apply HPSP for money. There are other ways to get the money and explore the ways to get the financial help from your medical school.