HPSP Scholarships for Active Duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADAF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been searching the web all day, unable to find any definitive information. From my understanding there are two "pools" of HPSP scholarships available, one for civilians and one for active duty personnel (whether that be Cadets, ROTC, or active duty), with the civilian pool being much larger.

Does anyone know exactly how many HPSP scholarships are available each year for active duty? Also, are there any stats (grades, MCAT) for those that do get accepted from active duty?

When I finish my undergrad and MCAT I'll have roughly 2.5 years left on my AD contract, so in a perfect world I'd get accepted to medical school and receive the HPSP, and make the transition after receiving the proper approval from my chain of command.

My concern lies with the uncertainty of receiving the HPSP. I read a thread earlier today where some active duty members mentioned they weren't awarded the scholarship even after being accepted to medical school. This is a travesty IMO, because it seems like any physically qualified civilian who desires the HPSP receives it.

Any information would be appreciated, and I don't intend for this thread to turn into a debate of the positives/negatives of military medicine. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When I finish my undergrad and MCAT I'll have roughly 2.5 years left on my AD contract, so in a perfect world I'd get accepted to medical school and receive the HPSP, and make the transition after receiving the proper approval from my chain of command.

Are you so sure they'll let you out of your contract early?

Are you so sure they'll let you out of your contract early?

Per AFI 41-110,

"1.2.3. AF active duty (AD) members, AFROTC Educational Delay cadets, AFROTC cadets not designated as Pre-HPP, and designated United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) cadets must contact
HQ AFPC/DPAM (http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/medical) for further application information,
and if applicable, obtain a sample letter of approval to apply to the program.
1.2.3.1. AF AD members who meet the eligibility criteria for the AFHPSP must submit a letter of
approval to apply through their immediate commander and wing commander, before sending their
request to the Separations Branch, HQ AFPC/DPPRSO, 550 C Street West, Suite 11, Randolph
AFB TX 78150-4713.
1.2.3.2. AFROTC cadets not designated as Pre-HPP cadets must submit request for approval to
apply for the AFHPSP to HQ AFPC/DPPAO, 550 C Street West Ste 10, Randolph AFB, TX
78150-4713. EXCEPTION:
1.2.3.2.1. Designated AFROTC Pre-HPP cadets do not require approval to apply.
1.2.3.2.2. AFA cadets identified by the AF Academy may enter the AFHPS provided they are
accepted to the advanced degree program prior to graduation. No letter of approval is required.
1.2.4. Sample “approval to apply letters” are available from Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center, Medical Service Officer Management, (HQ AFPC/DPAM) 550 C Street West, Suite 27, Randolph
AFB TX 78150-4729. (Note that HQ AFPC/DPAM formally instructs approved applicants how to
apply for AFHPSP).

1.3.3. Enlisted personnel selected for the AFHPSP must accept an appointment as a Reserve officer
before traveling to Commissioned Officer Training (COT). Enlisted members will be separated from
active duty effective the day before they begin travel to COT."

It's definitely possible, I'm just concerned about scholarship availability for active duty members.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not the same situation. I was an officer and I'm assuming you are applying from an enlisted status. I can't speak with any authority on your situation, but you should apply and see what happens.

I will say that while I was extremely disappointed when my transfer was rejected, I can't bring myself to call it a travesty. In my opinion there is a fundamental difference between civilians and military personnel. Civilians don't have any commitment, so it is easy for them to be approved. Military personnel already have commitment and a function to perform. Someone felt that I was more useful to the Navy driving ships at that time. Basically it comes down to "does the service believe you are more useful in medicine or in the job you trained to do?" I disagreed with their assessment and with the interpretation of the lat transfer guidance, but I knew all along that what happened to me was a possibility. As it turned out it was a bigger possibility than I realized, but that beside the point. My issue is that some people are getting information which I consider to be half truths and may they may not be in a position to realize it. I would have made the same decision had I been given all the information, but others may not. Either way, everyone deserves to make a fully informed decision.

Whatever happens with your application, don't let it change your goals in life. The worst that can happen is that you get rejected, finish your commitment and reapply. I got delayed three years which seemed like an eternity at the time, but looking back I don't think the extra three years hurt me at all. When I interviewed at my current school, my entire interview was focused on the things that I did in the Navy, the leadership lessons I'd learned and the ethical situations I'd encountered and how I thought my time in the Navy would shape my future career in medicine. Stats are great (and necessary to some degree), but you'll have plenty of other intangibles to help your application. Good luck to you.

It's definitely possible, I'm just concerned about scholarship availability for active duty members.

I have no doubt that it is possible, at least in the regulations. Have you asked your COC/detailer/etc. about whether it would actually get approved? Before you get your heart set on this course and get sadly disappointed, ask around.

Granted I don't know your details - but the guys who I've seen try to move fields, even when it is reasonable/in the interest of the service, have almost universally faced stiff resistance (not to say that it is impossible, just hard). If I had to bet $1, it would be that you'd have to complete your commitment before they'd hear of it -- unless you are in an MOS in which they are trying to jettison bodies. They've invested a lot of money in your training -- which is why it is harder to get HPSP on AD vs as a civilian.

Will you still have your GI Bill? Frankly, it's almost as good as HPSP if you're at a public school. Would make a good backup.

So I've been searching the web all day, unable to find any definitive information. From my understanding there are two "pools" of HPSP scholarships available, one for civilians and one for active duty personnel (whether that be Cadets, ROTC, or active duty), with the civilian pool being much larger.

Does anyone know exactly how many HPSP scholarships are available each year for active duty? Also, are there any stats (grades, MCAT) for those that do get accepted from active duty?

My concern lies with the uncertainty of receiving the HPSP. I read a thread earlier today where some active duty members mentioned they weren't awarded the scholarship even after being accepted to medical school. This is a travesty IMO, because it seems like any physically qualified civilian who desires the HPSP receives it.

Any information would be appreciated, and I don't intend for this thread to turn into a debate of the positives/negatives of military medicine. There are plenty of other threads for that.

I was accepted into HSCP (same requirements as HPSP, but just a slightly different program) from an active duty enlisted status.

I am not sure what branch you are in, but I think the same rules apply. You will have to get what is known as a "conditional release" from active duty that is signed by your commanding officer and then approved by human resources/personnel (called PERS in the Navy). If you are accepted into medical school and also accepted into HPSP then you submit an "actual release" from you current active duty status with the dates you will be transitioning. Since your conditional release was already approved the actual release will be approved as well. However, if you do not get accepted into HPSP then your coniditional release becomes null and void. Obviously, you apply for your conditional release before you apply to HPSP (in fact it is a condition of the application if you are currently active duty).

Hope this helps.

I was an active duty infantry officer and still had time left on my commitment from undergrad. The (Army) process required that I submit an unqualified resignation and then had to have an approval memo signed by my O5, and first O6 in chain of command. From there it was routed to infantry branch for approval.

Once approved for release from infantry branch, my packet went to the HPSP board and I had no problem getting picked up for HPSP. My remaining commitment from undergrad was added to my HPSP comittment.

Good luck.

I was an active duty infantry officer and still had time left on my commitment from undergrad. The (Army) process required that I submit an unqualified resignation and then had to have an approval memo signed by my O5, and first O6 in chain of command. From there it was routed to infantry branch for approval.

Once approved for release from infantry branch, my packet went to the HPSP board and I had no problem getting picked up for HPSP. My remaining commitment from undergrad was added to my HPSP comittment.

Good luck.

Unfortunately you can't "resign" from enlistment. That is specific to the commissioned community. Unless, the OP is an officer.

Good luck.

Sorry, on my phone at the moment.

But I'm enlisted Air Force, and it's basically the same process. I submit a letter of approval up the chain, and if approved its placed in my personnel record. From there it's valid for one year, so I'd have that time to get accepted to med school and receive the scholarship.

I wish I could link the thread that I read through yesterday. It was from a couple years ago and it had several members denied the HPSP from active duty even though they were accepted to school. I understand manning requirements, but the LOA basically gives approval for the transition. So given that others were denied even having having a LOA it seemed that there was a limit to the amount of scholarships available for AD members.

I mean I'm still going to apply when the time comes, I just wanted to know what I was up against.

That was me. The problem was that I didn't get a LOA. Sounds like Rangerdoc did and had no problems. It's all going to depend on the community you are applying from and their current and projected manning. I wouldn't take anything from my experience except to be prepared for the process to not be as smooth as you had hoped. I hope your experience is more like Rangerdocs, but if it isn't you can still get there. It will just take a few extra years.

That was me. The problem was that I didn't get a LOA. Sounds like Rangerdoc did and had no problems. It's all going to depend on the community you are applying from and their current and projected manning. I wouldn't take anything from my experience except to be prepared for the process to not be as smooth as you had hoped. I hope your experience is more like Rangerdocs, but if it isn't you can still get there. It will just take a few extra years.

I'm worried about those few extra years. Hypothetically, if I was to get accepted to medical school 2-3 years before the end of my enlistment with the anticipation of receiving the HPSP, what would my course of action be if the HPSP was denied? Would I just decline acceptance from the school and try again in a few years? I assume you can't defer that long.

Btw here's the thread I was talking about...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-715534.html

I appreciate all the feedback.

I'm worried about those few extra years. Hypothetically, if I was to get accepted to medical school 2-3 years before the end of my enlistment with the anticipation of receiving the HPSP, what would my course of action be if the HPSP was denied? Would I just decline acceptance from the school and try again in a few years? I assume you can't defer that long.

Btw here's the thread I was talking about...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-715534.html

I appreciate all the feedback.

Regarding the link you are referencing, the OP of that thread ended up getting into HPSP. Also, the other applicants that didn't get accepted may not have been due to being prior active duty, but it sounds to me like they were not qualified enough, or perhaps they applied too late. I know of many many people who did not get approved either because they applied too late and all of the scholarships were taken or because they were not competitive enough because of a low MCAT (even with an acceptance the military still has standards).

I have never heard about seperate pools for military and civilians (I am not saying it's not accurate, just that I have never heard of it). I was under the impression that if an active duty member obtains a "conditional release" (Navy), resigns their commision (officer), or the LOA you were speaking of for the Airforce then they would be eligible and in the same pool of applicants as civilians. What the conditional release, etc. is saying is that the military can release you from your current obligation (in otherwords they can spare you) if you are picked up for the program. I have known many active duty members that were picked up for the program WHILE still in the midst of their contracts.

Regarding the link you are referencing, the OP of that thread ended up getting into HPSP. Also, the other applicants that didn't get accepted may not have been due to being prior active duty, but it sounds to me like they were not qualified enough, or perhaps they applied too late. I know of many many people who did not get approved either because they applied too late and all of the scholarships were taken or because they were not competitive enough because of a low MCAT (even with an acceptance the military still has standards).

I have never heard about seperate pools for military and civilians (I am not saying it's not accurate, just that I have never heard of it). I was under the impression that if an active duty member obtains a "conditional release" (Navy), resigns their commision (officer), or the LOA you were speaking of for the Airforce then they would be eligible and in the same pool of applicants as civilians. What the conditional release, etc. is saying is that the military can release you from your current obligation (in otherwords they can spare you) if you are picked up for the program. I have known many active duty members that were picked up for the program WHILE still in the midst of their contracts.

Awesome. Probably a case if me over-analyzing the situation.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

You can't defer that long but I suspect that if you got in once you will again. I'll admit, it's a real pain to have to redo the MCAT and go through the whole admission process again but you can do it. The MCAT was my biggest source of worry. There were two of us that took the test together and I believe both of us did better than our UG scores despite being away from school. Your grades don't change and the rest of your application will only get stronger the more you do. You'll be fine. Anything I can do to help you, let me know.

Good luck.
Just saw this. Good to hear someone else was able to make it work. Currently an AD officer myself with 2.5 years left as well, due to a SLRP ADSO. Did you get accepted to med school first before applying for the HPSP? If you could let me know your formula for paperwork success with the Army here I would really appreciate it.Thanks

Just saw this. Good to hear someone else was able to make it work. Currently an AD officer myself with 2.5 years left as well, due to a SLRP ADSO. Did you get accepted to med school first before applying for the HPSP? If you could let me know your formula for paperwork success with the Army here I would really appreciate it.Thanks

Did this as well. Get accepted to med school before applying for HPSP, your recruiter will have an easier time getting you approved. Start the paperwork for an involuntary resignation a year or more in advance, it will probably take that long, or longer. Consider applying to USUHS, it's far easier to get transferred to a different active duty command instead of getting out before your ADSO and going into the reserves. Feel free to pm if you have other questions.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Good luck.
Hey,

I realize this is an old post but I am in the same situation currently (Infantry officer with a couple years left looking to take the HPSP before my commitment is up. Would love to ask you a few questions if you have any time.

Thanks,
Chris Aliperti
631-449-3941
[email protected]

Hey,

I realize this is an old post but I am in the same situation currently (Infantry officer with a couple years left looking to take the HPSP before my commitment is up. Would love to ask you a few questions if you have any time.
It’s generally not a good idea to put your real name, phone number, and email on a public forum. I would edit that out if I were you. You can send them a message privately, but they haven’t been on in 4 years and are unlikely to respond.