HPSP + Senior-level Graduate Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToXicity09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the Army HPSP Training Handbook:

"Leave for other educational pursuits is rarely authorized, and if so, must result in at least a masters degree in a health field."

GeoLeoX, Nov 10, 2003

I'm well aware of the fact that HPSP does not typically allow medical students to enroll in joint-degree programs or delay their medical education. However, I found the above message on this forum and wanted to know if the Army allows exceptions in cases for Marshall/Rhodes/etc. scholarship winners for 1 year degrees prior to entering medical school? Long shot, I'm aware, so please don't ridicule the question--all I'd appreciate is a legitimate answer (preferably with a regulation cited so I can be fully aware of what I'm getting myself into). I appreciate the help and your service to the country.

Edit: Please note that the source I cited was for a LOA in the midst of medical school, not for a deferment of the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

It's likely only someone in HPSP leadership would be able to answer this question. Maybe one of the recruiters that post here can provide input or a contact in HPSP leadership for you. The Army doesn't do well with exceptions so don't expect a positive outcome - but they do like positive press when their members receive these honors.

The precedent for Rhodes/Marshall/Gates.... but not referencing HPSP, is AR350-100. You could also look up AR 351-3 for guidance.
http://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/r350_100.pdf
http://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/AR 351-3.pdf

Wait - you're already obligated via ROTC. You are asking if you can get a deferment to utilize the HPSP Scholarship?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I apologize, I wasn't entirely clear: I am obligated via ROTC. I am applying for an ed delay upon which I plan on applying for HPSP. I am wondering if it would be impossible to get a 1 year deferment on my HPSP utilization if I were to apply and be awarded one of the previously mentioned scholarships. My situation makes me think it is doubtful but as you said, the military enjoys that kind of publicity. Does this change things in regards to your original response? I'll still sit tight and hope a knowledgeable recruiter answers too.

It is a bit of a bummer if I can't attempt to pursue this but I am fully committed to embarking on a career in military medicine. However, I'd like to do is go into this fully knowledgeable about all of my options.

Members don't see this ad :)
What you are asking is different than the "I want to go for five or 6 years to do md/MBA or md/phd." You are asking for a delay in beginning the program. I can see this being approved without too much difficulty if the process were started early enough to allow them to fill that slot in the year you would have originally started. The issue I potentially see is if there is an obligation associated with the other program, if so then they may want their pound of flesh before allowing someone to participate in another obligation accruing program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

For ROTC Cadets that receive Gates, Fulbright, Rhodes, and Marshall Scholarships they don't require a specific utilization tour so the active duty obligation is added to their ROTC obligation for whatever branch is received on accessions (med service or branch unassigned initially with ed delay). If the applications and communication are timely I can't imagine they would turn away his commitment to extra years as a doctor on active duty.
Commitment after residency --
4 years (ROTC) +
4 years (HPSP) +
1 year or more for partially funded post graduate program +
possible years for residency greater than 4 years (ortho, surgery, ...) =
9+ years after completion of residency.
Welcome to 2036+ (assuming 2018 UG graduation and 4 year residency)

@ToXicity09 - PM user @Armyhealth He may be a healthcare recruiter.

Reactions: 1 user
I have contacts with the HPSP program managers that may be able to get you a direct answer to your question. Please private message me!