HPSP Signing Bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Does anybody know if the 20k signing bonus will still be around next year? I thought it had always been there but then realized it was a relatively new thing and maybe not permanent. But seeing as how I'm applying to medical schools/HPSP next year, I'm kinda curious if anybody knows if its still gonna be there or not. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
Does anybody know if the 20k signing bonus will still be around next year? I thought it had always been there but then realized it was a relatively new thing and maybe not permanent. But seeing as how I'm applying to medical schools/HPSP next year, I'm kinda curious if anybody knows if its still gonna be there or not. Thanks.

No idea but it varies according to the branch of service. It depends on their physician need and I dont see the need changing much in one year but its possible for it to no longer be offered.

I don't know if you're talking about 2010 or 2011, but for what it's worth, I was commissioned in October and was offered the 20k bonus. If you're applying to get the scholarship for this next Fall you would be in the same fiscal year, so I would imagine it would be the same for you, but again, I'm not sure. I'm Navy by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. And yeah, I'm applying to medical schools next fall in 2010. So once I get accepted (fingers crossed) I'll be applying for HPSP then.

The bonus has been very successful. So successful, military medicine plans to increase the bonus. By increasing the number of physicians coming in this allows them to increase the number of physicians going out. Increasing the so called "churn rate" by helping physicians leave at earlier points in their career reduces retirement tail expenses. They pay less up front and save massive expenses in the back end. The best thing is the DoD can buy more guns and bullets.

The bonus has been very successful. So successful, military medicine plans to increase the bonus. By increasing the number of physicians coming in this allows them to increase the number of physicians going out. Increasing the so called "churn rate" by helping physicians leave at earlier points in their career reduces retirement tail expenses. They pay less up front and save massive expenses in the back end. The best thing is the DoD can buy more guns and bullets.

I think the Aqua is the color for sarcasm.

While there is a ray of truth in your statement, there is no current movement to increase the signing bonus.

As to the long term availability of the bonus. The Navy has met goal for the past 2 years and is considering discontinuing it for Dental. I suspect it will be around for another 2-3 years and may go away after that. Pure speculation, but that would be my gut instinct.

I would not wait for an acceptance to apply for HPSP. I filled out all the paperwork for the Navy and it took about 3 or 4 months before I was sent before the board (denied cause they wouldnt accept a waiver)...the Army wasnt much different it was also about 4 months...because it took so long the Army ran out of scholarships and I ended up getting a 3.5 yr scholarship YAY!! However, it was a constant strain trying to decide whether to take out loans or wait for word from the military...it will make your packet stronger if you have an acceptance but I wouldnt wait for one especially if you are waitlisted...and yes I did have to pay for my first semester in loans but it is all good im covered starting next semester!

I would not wait for an acceptance to apply for HPSP. I filled out all the paperwork for the Navy and it took about 3 or 4 months before I was sent before the board (denied cause they wouldnt accept a waiver)...the Army wasnt much different it was also about 4 months...because it took so long the Army ran out of scholarships and I ended up getting a 3.5 yr scholarship YAY!! However, it was a constant strain trying to decide whether to take out loans or wait for word from the military...it will make your packet stronger if you have an acceptance but I wouldnt wait for one especially if you are waitlisted...and yes I did have to pay for my first semester in loans but it is all good im covered starting next semester!

Did you get your signing bonus?

Did you get your signing bonus?

Yes, I got the bonus. Also remember...if you get a 2 or 3 or 3.5 year scholarship and take the bonus that automatically makes ur repayment 4 years regardless of the length of the scholarship you got/get.