doctorpurple

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2010
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just got commissioned for HPSP Army 3 year scholarship. Since my scholarship would not start until the beginning of my second year which is a couple of months from now. I was wondering about stipend in between MS2 to MS3. I know we have to study for boards and depending on schedule can be have a 2 weeks to 1 month off before rotation starts. I don't think this would allow me enough time to do ADT. My recruiter told me that ADT is not required and if I decide to pass, i would still get paid (stipend). Is this true? Also, for people with 3 year scholarship, when did you your BOLC?

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you get stiped for 10.5 months of the year and AD pay for 1.5 months of the year. If you don't do an ADT at a military hospital then the AD pay will be in Sep/Oct. They will put you on what's known as "school orders" Basically you are ordered to do what the school says you should be doing while getting AD pay.

If I were you when you schedule your ADT's set them up so they are done during 4th year, Aug/Sep/Oct are the best times to do them and you can do them back to back. I saved my MS3 and MS4 and did two ADT's at different hospitals back to back just prior to the mil match. Keep that in mind as you go forward.

USArmyHPSP

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Academic Administration
I just got commissioned for HPSP Army 3 year scholarship. Since my scholarship would not start until the beginning of my second year which is a couple of months from now. I was wondering about stipend in between MS2 to MS3. I know we have to study for boards and depending on schedule can be have a 2 weeks to 1 month off before rotation starts. I don't think this would allow me enough time to do ADT. My recruiter told me that ADT is not required and if I decide to pass, i would still get paid (stipend). Is this true? Also, for people with 3 year scholarship, when did you your BOLC?
The only ADT you would be authorized this summer would be to attend BOLC. Past that, your benefits (stipend) will be effective the first day of your second year classes. After your class start date the 10.5 months of stipend, 45 days ADT clock starts.

The answer to your last question is student/school specific. Some do it prior to the class start date, some between second and third year, some wait until after residency. The whole BOLC for HPSP is undergoing an extreme change starting next year. BOLC will only be 26 days at Fort Sam Houston, with the rest being a distance learning venture that will be completed prior to the in-residence piece.

About the Ads

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
The Grand Ballroom
Status
Podiatry Student
The whole BOLC for HPSP is undergoing an extreme change starting next year. BOLC will only be 26 days at Fort Sam Houston, with the rest being a distance learning venture that will be completed prior to the in-residence piece.
It's safe to assume this change is only for Army as BOLC is army specific, right? Or are all branches required to change officer school because of something HPSP-specific?

2th Doc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2010
Status
Dentist
you get stiped for 10.5 months of the year and AD pay for 1.5 months of the year. If you don't do an ADT at a military hospital then the AD pay will be in Sep/Oct. They will put you on what's known as "school orders" Basically you are ordered to do what the school says you should be doing while getting AD pay.

If I were you when you schedule your ADT's set them up so they are done during 4th year, Aug/Sep/Oct are the best times to do them and you can do them back to back. I saved my MS3 and MS4 and did two ADT's at different hospitals back to back just prior to the mil match. Keep that in mind as you go forward.
I'm trying to provide proof of future income and am having a hard time finding any official document that states that we get active duty pay for the 1.5 months. I know we do, I just can't find any official document to back it up. Does anyone know where I could find it? I've been skimming through the DoD FMR but found nothing yet.

Also, how is the AD pay calculated for those 1.5 months, just standard rate of O-1 based off the state where you're attending school? Do your years in school count for years in service as O-1? So for example, as a 4th year dental student would you get paid as an O-1 with 3 years of service? Thanks guys.

USArmyHPSP

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Academic Administration
I'm trying to provide proof of future income and am having a hard time finding any official document that states that we get active duty pay for the 1.5 months. I know we do, I just can't find any official document to back it up. Does anyone know where I could find it? I've been skimming through the DoD FMR but found nothing yet.

Also, how is the AD pay calculated for those 1.5 months, just standard rate of O-1 based off the state where you're attending school? Do your years in school count for years in service as O-1? So for example, as a 4th year dental student would you get paid as an O-1 with 3 years of service? Thanks guys.
The 45 ADT is outlined in the Department of Defense Instruction 6000.13 paragraph 6.4.3. If you are Army it is also outlined in paragraph 20 of the Service Agreement.

ADT time does not count toward longevity. You will be paid as O-1 under two for each of your ADTs.

About the Ads