HPSP Student Night Meet and Greet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krwhite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email the other day about a meet and greet in DC on December 1, and I'm wondering what the deal is with that...

Are we expected to attend, or is it purely optional? Would it be beneficial to be there? Things like that...

Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

Kelsey

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking about what I think you are, it's the residency night right? Basically, every year the residency directors get together in DC to go over applications and pick who they want. They have one night where they invite medical students to come and speak with them. So for later students, its a good time to get "face time" with the directors, for younger students its for that and talking to them to get a feel for their specialty.

It's my no means required. Just an opportunity to talk to the residency directors and get a feel for the whole process.

The annual Joint Services Graduate Medical Education Selection Board (JSGMESB) meets in DC for a few days after Thanksgiving. This is where your intern year match is decided, where the GME-2 matches are decided, where flight surgery or dive medicine applications are processed, etc. For the past couple of years, one night has been dedicated to a sort of "open house" where the different program directors (who are all already there for the meeting) set up tables in a large conference room. I went last year as an MS4, since I went to school just down the street.

My personal take -- it would be most useful to an MS2 or MS3 considering his/her options as the military match process starts to become more of a reality. Not sure if it's worth flying from out of town, although you're not likely to have an easier time talking to PDs from all over the country in any other setting. As it was, I had a good time reconnecting with the staff that I met during my aways, and I got to learn about a few GMO options that I'd only tangentially read about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help, y'all. I'm an M1, so I don't know if it would be too much to try to get up there or not... I would love to go ahead and start meeting people, though. Guess we'll see!

Thanks for the help, y'all. I'm an M1, so I don't know if it would be too much to try to get up there or not... I would love to go ahead and start meeting people, though. Guess we'll see!

I'm 90% sure that I'm going - I'm an OMS II. I especially want to talk to people who have done GMO, Dive Medicine, and Flight Medicine.

Interesting...i never got that email...i kinda wanna go...haha

I got an email about it last year but couldn't go because of a test. I'd really like to go this year so I can figure out places to rotate and get a feel for the different hospitals. I'm sure us Army folks will get an email soon about it

Interesting...i never got that email...i kinda wanna go...haha

If you're serious about wanting to go, you don't have to get an email to do so. Here's the info you'd need:

The 2010 Joint Services Graduate Medical Education Selection Board will sponsor a student-night which is an opportunity to meet and greet the internship and residency program directors. It is also a chance to learn more about military medicine and perhaps discuss your plans for your medical career, and future GME opportunities.

This will be held at the Renaissance DC Hotel, Washington DC, Wednesday 1 December from 1830 - 2100.

The address is:
Renaissance Washington DC Hotel
999 Ninth Street NW
Washington, District Of Columbia 20001
Phone: 1-202-898-9000 (this is the hotel and has nothing to do with the
evening events). Website for the hotel:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasrb-renaissance-washington-dc-hotel/

Dress is business casual or your uniform. A light fare will be provided. Please be aware this is in the heart of DC, parking will be difficult at best, however it is metro accessible for all the lines, red, green, blue, orange, and yellow.