HPSP Student Switching from One Branch of Service to Another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stryder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to switch services while still a student? Say for a second year Army HPSP to switch to Air Force?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it would be nearly impossible.

Yes, I would say so, too. Many reasons, not the least of which is who would want to switch from AF to Army?

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be done, you have to find another HPSPer willing to switch with you though.

if i did find someone that wanted to switch... anyone know how I would go about doing so?

Pray for assistance. You'll need the divine help.

Seriously, I feel it will be almost impossible to find an AF HPSP student willing to take an Army HPSP scholarship. But it you can and it is possible to switch (I only say this because I don't personally know it to be true - never asked about it), you might start with contacting the individuals in charge of the HPSP scholarships for the Army and the AF and see what their reqiurements are for this swap to occur.

I know someone that has switched from Navy to AF. You really just have to get lucky, or perhaps provide your own 'bonus' to help persuade an individual.

maybe if he has an extra $30,000 lying around......but yeah other than that it's going to be very very hard to find someone to switch

good luck

Last edited:
I am AF and want to switch to army. Anyone else out there that want to talk? (I am prior service army and want to return). Send me a private message if you want to talk

Is an MD for DDS switch viable?

Last edited:
Is an MD for DDS switch viable?

I hope that was a joke...

yea... I had a pilot slot in the AF before I decided that I wanted to be a dentist instead. Can I swap that for an HPSP slot

I hope that was a joke...

yea... I had a pilot slot in the AF before I decided that I wanted to be a dentist instead. Can I swap that for an HPSP slot

hwatson is labeled as an MD/PHD student doing HPSP with AF, and I am a DDS student doing HPSP with the ARMY. I was asking if a switch of HPSP commitments was possible between the two of us. In other words, would the AF give up a MD/PHD for a DDS vice a versa?

hwatson is labeled as an MD/PHD student doing HPSP with AF, and I am a DDS student doing HPSP with the ARMY. I was asking if a switch of HPSP commitments was possible between the two of us. In other words, would the AF give up a MD/PHD for a DDS vice a versa?

Only way to find out is to contact the Graduate Medical Education office where the HPSP program guys are located. In order for any switching to occur you have to do several things:

1) Find a compatible person to switch with

2) Get both services to agree to the switch.

Difficult process, but possible.

dentist for a doc is doubtful. The AF is full in dental and physician. Would not work for the AF

I am a AF HPSP dental. I recently got married since commissioning and would like to stay in the area so my husband can keep his job and we would have family to care for the baby we are about to have. There is an army base nearby, but the nearest air force base is 6 hrs away. I would be willing to consider switching to army, but only if I knew that I could be stationed at the base nearby. I don't know if there is any possible way to guarantee placement, though. If you find that there is, I would definitely be willing to switch.

If you can find someone to swap with, can you switch if you are still in school?

If you can find someone to swap with, can you switch if you are still in school?

That's the only time you can switch. Once you are on active duty - thins are set. Again - will require a lot of coordination - not a guaranteed thing. You will have to contact your HPSP office.

I am a first year med student hoping to switch to army from air force, any one interested? or know a little bit more about the switching process?

I am a AF HPSP dental. I recently got married since commissioning and would like to stay in the area so my husband can keep his job and we would have family to care for the baby we are about to have. There is an army base nearby, but the nearest air force base is 6 hrs away. I would be willing to consider switching to army, but only if I knew that I could be stationed at the base nearby. I don't know if there is any possible way to guarantee placement, though. If you find that there is, I would definitely be willing to switch.

I wouldn't count on them guaranteeing placement at that base. There may not be an open slot for a junior dental officer there, or perhaps another more senior dentist is gunning for that spot. Your detailer will try to work with you to get you stationed somewhere you like, but as an HPSP dental student, you're not going to have anywhere near enough clout to have guaranteed placement. Besides, you may end up wanting to do an AEGD or a residency anyway. You signed up for active duty, so get comfortable with the idea of moving. The military really doesn't care about your husband's job, or whether or not grandma is close by to watch your baby. They consider it your responsibility to arrange for dependent care no matter where they station you.

I am a first year med student hoping to switch to army from air force, any one interested? or know a little bit more about the switching process?

It has been done in the past, you need to find an Army medical HPSP that is also interested - should be easy to find. After that you can PM USARMYHPSP and ask him what to do next.