HPSP switching branches? Army to Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BEFcross

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im currently an Army HPSP 3rd year student and my fiance is a Navy HPSP 4th year student. She is a year ahead of me and was just accepted into a Naval residency program. I was told by some residents on one of my military 3rd year rotations that switching services would help (for the most part) us get the same hospital for residency, and that it would be easier for us to be stationed together post-residency. I was curious if anyone had any insight on this process? Who should I contact, etc... Also, with that being said are there any third year hpsp navy students wanting to switch to Army? I know this is all a shot in the wind, but I figured why not ask right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Im currently an Army HPSP 3rd year student and my fiance is a Navy HPSP 4th year student. She is a year ahead of me and was just accepted into a Naval residency program. I was told by some residents on one of my military 3rd year rotations that switching services would help (for the most part) us get the same hospital for residency, and that it would be easier for us to be stationed together post-residency. I was curious if anyone had any insight on this process? Who should I contact, etc... Also, with that being said are there any third year hpsp navy students wanting to switch to Army? I know this is all a shot in the wind, but I figured why not ask right?

Contact your Army Program Director. There is usually a list of individuals who want to swap services and they try to connect them to do a switch. It is a pain in the backside to do, but possible. You need to get started ASAP. The process can take a full year.

...and if so, how long did it take?