All Branch Topic (ABT) (HPSP) Will four years of GMO after medical school end my commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treyc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit of background: I’m not an HPSP student yet, but I’m just trying to get every little question answered before I commit to either Air Force or Army.

Back the question, if I didn’t match into any of my top choices, would I be able to do the four years as a GMO, and then come back as a civilian and (hopefully) match into my top choice? So theoretically, instead of not matching, let’s say derm, and then becoming a GMO for a year and then trying to rematch derm, I could just bite the bullet and do four years as a GMO, and then come back and try to match into a civilian derm residency, and not have to worry about coming back after and spending four years AD?

Regardless, I’m looking forward to some day serving my country and contributing all I can to medicine.

Thank you all for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to complete an internship first before you get sent out as a gmo. But yes, 4 years of med school paid for can be paid back by doing your intern year + 4 years as a GMO

Reactions: 1 user