HPSP with PTSD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCwarVeteran4u

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if one is getting 50% but the symptoms don't affect him at work or school; in fact, students that just came undergrad seem to exhibit more anxiety and depression outward. What if he honored most of his didactic from a top 20 school. Shouldn't the Army waive his PTSD in this? What about those who are more emotionally affected without mental diagnosis? These students are obviously more mentally "weak" than the ptsd dude. Hmm. One even cried because she thought she did poorly on an exam. One is HPSP Air Force, lol.

And those who are upset why he is getting compensated.. he did have few stressful symptoms after coming back from the war zone. He just got over it and is nearly normal now. it is just he is still getting paid over 1000 per month because he knew how to file properly and knew exactly what he needed to do to win his compensation claim

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What the heck is this missive about? The military should not waiver in anyone with PTSD, especially getting disability compensation for any MOS. Now, if someone develops PTSD while in the military they should be taken care of and compensated for whatever their disability. The worry is not for CONUS, peacetime scenarios in those with PTSD. It's for the deployments to war zones where symptoms can and often flare. I was deployed to Kuwait which was safe. However there were a lot of soldiers with prior PTSD who decompensated to various degrees.

So you don't think the military should waive it for some people who have been off med for 4+ years with no noticeable symptoms...

What the heck is this missive about? The military should not waiver in anyone with PTSD, especially getting disability compensation for any MOS. Now, if someone develops PTSD while in the military they should be taken care of and compensated for whatever their disability. The worry is not for CONUS, peacetime scenarios in those with PTSD. It's for the deployments to war zones where symptoms can and often flare. I was deployed to Kuwait which was safe. However there were a lot of soldiers with prior PTSD who decompensated to various degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you don't think the military should waive it for some people who have been off med for 4+ years with no noticeable symptoms...

Your insight is pretty low if you can't understand that going back into theater could trigger PTSD symptoms...off medication for 4 years without noticeable symptoms or not. "Your friend" should become a civilian doc.

Reactions: 1 users
You do have a point, and I agree it might be bad for most people. I am sure many would have some serious flare ups. But I am willing to bet that a few would be okay.

No, absolutely not. Full stop, end of story.

I don't want to be the doc who gets the hot fill assignment to go to some place crappy due to the current doc having a PTSD recurrence when it was preventable by not letting the person in in the first place.

Don't care if they've been 4 or 40 years symptom free.

Reactions: 1 users
What if one is getting 50% but the symptoms don't affect him at work or school; in fact, students that just came undergrad seem to exhibit more anxiety and depression outward. What if he honored most of his didactic from a top 20 school. Shouldn't the Army waive his PTSD in this? What about those who are more emotionally affected without mental diagnosis? These students are obviously more mentally "weak" than the ptsd dude. Hmm. One even cried because she thought she did poorly on an exam. One is HPSP Air Force, lol.

And those who are upset why he is getting compensated.. he did have few stressful symptoms after coming back from the war zone. He just got over it and is nearly normal now. it is just he is still getting paid over 1000 per month because he knew how to file properly and knew exactly what he needed to do to win his compensation claim

Umm ok so you are getting 50% service connection for PTSD, but don't feel you are having any problems and are now "nearly normal now". Have you informed the RO for your claim so they can reduce your service connection back down to reflect your current PTSD status?

If you have PTSD and it's documented I doubt you're getting back into the military in any fashion even the National Guard, especially with the drawdown.

Take the 1k you're getting per month and use it and your GI bill and post 9/11 bill monies to attend and pay for medical school if you wish to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
A few would be ok? How do you make that call? Develop arbitrary standards, send them downrange, and see who snaps? There are probably a few guys out there who used to be serial killers, who haven't killed in a long time, who would be ok teaching grade school - but probably it's better to just not let them teach grade school.

First of all, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

With that in mind, I find the bold statement to be troublesome. While I am certainly not here to judge someone, I have seen this kind of misallocation of resources happen on a regular basis in the real Army. With that in mind, you really need to self-reflect on yourself, believing whether you truly have PTSD or not.

If you don't feel like you really had PTSD, I would certainly support the notion of you giving back all your previous compensation back to the military upon commissioning via HPSP.

If you feel like you really had PTSD, I think the best course of action is to enjoy your civilian life. You would be doing those kids downrange a disservice by failing to perform on heated moments.

What was your MOS? How many months were you deployed, where and in what capacity?

If you've been symptom free for four years while getting into medical school and presumably working a job you owe the taxpayers a good chunk of change.

- ex 61N

Reactions: 2 users
You're not eligible for initial entry by policy. Period. End of story.

There's no reason to even discuss further. Whatever that latin phrase is that means, "let the thing speak for itself", applies to this.