HRT therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSoon2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a clinician who writes letters in support of HRT therapy, what do you need to consider prior to writing it? For the record, I am referring a trans client out to a reputable clinician who is known for providing gender-affirming care... but the curious/student in me is wondering how one goes about evaluating readiness for this. What if the patient has severe mood issues and SI (thinking of the patient who came to me for the initial session)? Can the clinician still write the letter? I am hoping to spend the next year or so learning as much as possible/seekin consultation, and am hopeful that i can one day treat this population.

Members don't see this ad.

Weirdly I have treated a fair number of trans people. Turns out when you honest to god don't care about what someone does, it comes across as openess, when then gets translated into "ally", and then you get all these referrals, and you ask around for who to send them to and they refer them back to you and then you're telling them that you don't do psychotherapy and please god quit trying to get me to do psychotherapy.

Some things to consider:

1) determine relevant norms (i.e., are male or female norms the ones to use?).
2) Explore the patient's sexuality, and the potential for how HRT and whatevs can possibly change long term relationships (e.g., married homosexual couple where both parties are highly skewed on the kinsley scale, are probably going to some significant sexual problems; couples where one is a power top/bottom, etc can have troubles; stone lesbians not so much).
3) explore cultural factors, including religion.
4) Know the difference between a sexual fetish and a gender identity (e.g., transvestism vs. gender dyphoria).
5) Don't be afraid to discuss if someone will not make a decent looking other gender. Part of this is informed consent. They should know that hormones are not going to change them into gorgeous.
6) Explore various pragmatics including the effects on others, dating, laws, bathrooms, employment, clothes, family, who is going to take care of them if/when they get surgeries, etc.
7) Eduate yourself about the percent that regret gender reassignment. It's higher than you'd think. Probably represents a liability.
8) Learn about the potentially carcinogenic effects of HRT. There is a history of this in women getting estrogen, which I imagine is going to happen with men getting testoesteron and in transgender reassignement at some point.
9) Potential liabilities in your local area.
10) Learn about the entire billing under someone's "dead name", because this can be a sensitive issue where they don't want you to bill insurance under the name on their insurance card, but they sure as hell don't want to pay cash, and it's a whole thing.
11) Be open to discussing things that most people think are embarrassing including such fun discussions as "which side does your penis go when you're wearing boxer briefs.".

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a clinician who writes letters in support of HRT therapy, what do you need to consider prior to writing it? For the record, I am referring a trans client out to a reputable clinician who is known for providing gender-affirming care... but the curious/student in me is wondering how one goes about evaluating readiness for this. What if the patient has severe mood issues and SI (thinking of the patient who came to me for the initial session)? Can the clinician still write the letter? I am hoping to spend the next year or so learning as much as possible/seekin consultation, and am hopeful that i can one day treat this population.

This is a much-needed service that very few trained psychologists offer (perhaps because it’s a medical recommendation based on a mental health evaluation?).

Seek training and consultation. I would strongly discourage ANY therapist from doing letters without additional training, memorizing WPATH standards and extensive self-education, and consultation (some clinicians agree to write letters for the money having no idea about the areas they need to be educated in to assess readiness, which is practicing way outside of competence).

I attended a training in this awhile back but knew I needed further consultation given all of the factors one needs to weigh (need to consult with doctors and/or seek collateral info, need to assess several domains like social supports, education level on the medical aspects of transition, comorbity, pervasiveness and length of gender dysphoria diagnosis, psychosocial/mental health history, etc.). I had planned to consult further but stopped there due to the time commitment needed for further training.

Most folks I know take about 2-3 sessions to provide this type evaluation, if they’re sought out specifically for a letter. If this is an ongoing client, a clinician has more client information to draw from in this process and can advocate for their client with close consultation and education.

In my area, evaluation for surgery/hormones is a closely-guarded skill. I had to search for several months before I could find anyone who offered consultation for this, and some charge “package” rates of thousands of dollars to train clinicians. Personally I don’t agree with this because I’m more on the advocacy side; trans folks in my area tend to not have a lot of financial means (and they need multiple letters from different clinicians for surgery), so to greatly restrict the number of clinicians offering letters by charging exorbitant consultation fees and not providing group-based trainings is a bit frustrating. I should also mention I’m in the most sought-out area in the country for gender-affirming care and yet it was difficult to figure out where to go for consultation for this and find out what kinds of education were needed to offer evaluations.

As to your question about comorbidity and/or SI and readiness, this is complicated. It depends on the diagnoses/symptoms and (partially) whether they are indirectly related to gender dysphoria (i.e. depression rather than a psychotic disorder), but they can be unrelated diagnoses and one can still move forward; it just depends, and is assessed on a case-by-case basis. I would also add that assessing coping skills, social & financial supports, and stability is hugely important when considering diagnoses. The research out there on transition says that for the small number of folks with transition regret (estimated to be around 2% depending on the study, although some likely goes unreported), comorbidity is a risk factor in regret (as are surgical complications, family rejection, poor social outcomes, etc.). However, hormones are just the first step in that process and they are not as permanent as surgery.

Whomever you referred the person to is a good place to start for your own consultation.

EDIT: I would add that for liability purposes, clinicians also need to make it very clear when they offer this service that an evaluation doesn’t guarantee a strong recommendation in support of HRT or surgery; clients are paying for the service of the evaluation, not the letter outcome. Some write letters that conditionally support hormones or surgery with X supports in place, after a certain period of stability, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users