HS student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDTENNIS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school student deciding on schools for my undergrad. I got a full ride athletic scholarship to one school. But i would have to pay much more (15K) to go to a more prestigious school. I am afraid if i don't go to the more prestigious school it will hurt me when i apply to medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Full Ride Athletic? Go for that. Something interesting to talk about for med school. And it is FREE (every UG's dream!)

What sport may I ask?

I'm a freshman this year and I was also offered a full-ride merit scholarship to a good university although largely unknown out of the state and certainly not high in prestige. I had the choice amongst taking the full ride at this university, or attending a higher-ranked university with less or none financial aid (e.g, Drexel with a half-ride and U of Michigan with no money--I'm from MD). In the end I took the full ride because it opens up the options for me for medical school. In another three years when I start applying and (hopefully!) start getting acceptances I won't have to agonize over which school would cost less, applying only to schools likely to give me financial aid, etc. Although med school debt is rather high it is better than having to pay off undergrad debt on top of that. Godwilling everything goes as planned I can go to the best medical school I can get into because I sacrificed a prestigious undergrad to have a free education.

Unless you'd really be very unhappy at your university, I'd say to take the full ride. It takes off a lot of stress, on you and your family, opens up the options for your medical school, and adds a lot of prestige points when you casually mention it in conversation. Also taking a full ride means there won't be the necessity of having to work for a few years post-UG in order to afford med school unless you want to and all going well for you you'll be able to enter into medicine directly after UG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're wavering between some academically questionable state school and Yale or Stanford, this isn't really a choice. Take the scholarship and do well at that school.

No debt=no stress over $$=a very good thing

I received a full ride athletic scholarship in college. I took it and never looked back. Now, Im sitting on an acceptance. All you need is one letter admitting you to med school to become a doctor. All my interviewers really liked the fact that I could balance sports and academics. My best advice is to learn how to balance early on so your grades stay up. This is where I faltered. Best of luck to you though:) For me, I got way more out of my college education than I think I would have at a more prestigious school.

Full Ride Athletic? Go for that. Something interesting to talk about for med school. And it is FREE (every UG's dream!)

What sport may I ask?

I think it might be tennis. Bc of his name....

Well, I think it really depends on which schools you're talking about. I think that if it's a fairly big difference, then I would go with the more expensive school. Honestly, compared to your future doctor's salary ;) it's not that big of a deal. But if it's not a very big difference, then definitely pick the freeness. So which schools are you talking about?

But perhaps more importantly, it depends on how much you like these schools. I would suggest visiting them if you haven't already, especially if they have admit weekends or things like that. Get to know the schools. Different schools can have really different atmospheres. What school you go to probably won't make a big difference to med schools, but it could make a huge difference to you. You'll be spending what may arguably be the best 4 years of your life there :)

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

~SilkandSteel

well i got a full ride athletic to Creighton and I was deciding if i should go to Washington University in St. Louis. I also got a full ride to my state school, South Dakota State University. SDSU is closer than Creighton to where i live but Creighton would be a much better choice i think but i'm not sure. It's between South Dakota State and Creighton right now.

OMG Go to WuStL. You'll receive a better education and it's worth the 15K/yr,

Washington University in St. Louis is 15?K more a year it's 15k more a semester so that's $120,000 and i think i'd be fine at Creighton getting into their medical, dental (if i change my mind) school.

Do you already have a financial aid package from WashU? If not, there's no sense in making the decision now, unless you're pretty sure they're not giving you anything.

Do you already have a financial aid package from WashU? If not, there's no sense in making the decision now, unless you're pretty sure they're not giving you anything.
I agree. If Wash U hasn't offered a financial aid package, this discussion is moot until we know what costs we're dealing with here.

OP, I also chose to stay in-state and go to my state college completely free, and I'm still grateful for having done that even now, because I started medical school with no debt whatsoever. If you are considering going to professional school (medical or dental), you need to think long term about the debt you take on. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that medical and dental schools are ridiculously expensive, and the loans you take out now will literally follow you until the day you die or you pay them off, whichever happens sooner. You cannot get out of educational loans by filing bankruptcy.

It doesn't sound like you are all that gung-ho about Wash U, but if you are, I suggest that you try calling them and ask them to match your other scholarships. Tell them you really want to go there, but cost is a major issue for you. What's the worst thing that will happen? They'll tell you no, and you'll go to Creighton or your state school scot-free. That's a pretty enviable position to be in. :)

I agree with Q. Isn't WashU pretty good with financial aid packages? Schools of its caliber usually are. So if it's the difference of 120k, like you said, go with Creighton. But if it's the difference of say 50k, I would definitely go with WashU, a much much better school.

Scholarships are given to you whenever they feel like it, but I think financial aid isn't something you'll know about until march/april, am I correct? Until then, keep your options open.

Best of luck getting $ from WashU!

~Silk and Steel

thanks for the help everyone!!! I think i am now hooked to this site! lol. I think i will wait and see what WashU gives me as far as financial aid, the Creighton coach is really pushing me to verbally commit. The signing period is during the end of April. I've also talked to the WashU coach and he is going to see if he could figure anything out a little earlier for me!

Thanks again for the help everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

That's true, wait untill you see what financial aid you get....I got a full ride at Braindeis but also got into an ivy...and while the ivy's finaid wasn't a full ride, it was a pretty good deal and I graduated without debt. (They had a policy that allows you to cancel out the students' portion with outside scholarships, while--atleast back then--most other schools had a cap where even if you had $10,000 of scholarships, they'd only let you use $2000, and still need to take out $8000 in loans...but I think that's becoming less common).

Also, while it doesn't always work, you can go to the financial aid office, show them the other finaid packages you've received from other schools, and tell them that while you'd love to go to that school, financially you're better off elsewhere, and sometimes they might to make you a new finaid offer. Sometimes the school won't change it, but some do....and if their coach is telling them that they really want you, then they'll probably be able to work a little finaid magic.

All that said, don't pick a school based on name or prestige....pick the school you really feel at home in, and that allows you to do what you *want* to do while you're in college. If you really like Creighton, then go for it, but if you really like WashU, hold on to see what they can do for you in terms of financial aid.

thanks for the help everyone!!! I think i am now hooked to this site! lol. I think i will wait and see what WashU gives me as far as financial aid, the Creighton coach is really pushing me to verbally commit. The signing period is during the end of April. I've also talked to the WashU coach and he is going to see if he could figure anything out a little earlier for me!

Thanks again for the help everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
If you feel like the Creighton coach is pressuring you, don't talk to him any more about it between now and April. The next time you speak to him, tell him you will let him know as soon as you have made a decision, and you would appreciate it if he would stop pressuring you to make a decision before you're ready (and before you're required to make one). And if he doesn't drop it, you can politely excuse yourself and get off the phone. Best of luck to you. :)

well i got a full ride athletic to Creighton and I was deciding if i should go to Washington University in St. Louis. I also got a full ride to my state school, South Dakota State University. SDSU is closer than Creighton to where i live but Creighton would be a much better choice i think but i'm not sure. It's between South Dakota State and Creighton right now.

washu has a good tennis team, but it usually gets owned by emory

I chose Wash U above my full ride to state schools and almost full rides to Loyola NO and Tulane. I couldn't have made a better decision simply because I loved the school. I wanted to get out of the very conservative and sometimes backward Gulf Coast and be surrounded people that would push me to be a more intellegent, open-minded, mature person. It was the first time in my life where I actually met people like me with goals and a chance at a good future. Pre-med there will kick your butt into shape sometimes though. I know academically I could have done better at the other schools, but I think the Wash U pre-med program's reputation saved my lowish GPA.