HSCP from active duty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew N

Military to Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently on active duty, enlisted, in the Marine Corps, and I'm utilizing tuition assistance to finish my undergrad & premed requirements for medical school. Unfortunately, I will not finish them all before my EAS. I cannot afford to EAS and have an income lull while I finish up the rest of my courses and take the MCAT before going on with my plans of using HSCP - I'm married with 2 children. My question is - if I were to reenlist and finish the rest of my courses with TA, would I have to ride out the rest of that term before applying for HSCP? I've heard of people getting separated from active duty to attend medical school via the HSCP but can't seem to find any literature on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm currently on active duty, enlisted, in the Marine Corps, and I'm utilizing tuition assistance to finish my undergrad & premed requirements for medical school. Unfortunately, I will not finish them all before my EAS. I cannot afford to EAS and have an income lull while I finish up the rest of my courses and take the MCAT before going on with my plans of using HSCP - I'm married with 2 children. My question is - if I were to reenlist and finish the rest of my courses with TA, would I have to ride out the rest of that term before applying for HSCP? I've heard of people getting separated from active duty to attend medical school via the HSCP but can't seem to find any literature on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

You would need a conditional release.
I think it's dd368. Your command has to approve your release.

Hi all,

Andrew

I am currently an HSCP student and I got accepted while in the midst of my active duty commitment as a Corpsman. I'm not quite sure how the conditional release would work with a branch transfer from Marines to Navy, but here is the most recent instruction on HSCP:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publicatio...orizations/pa_132_hscp_11_14_2011_10_21_1.pdf

If you have any questions let me know. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also take a look at the Enlisted to MD Prep Program:
http://www.usuhs.edu/adm/emdp2.html

Anyone who is enlisted and is considering staying with the military for med school should follow this program development closely.

I am currently an HSCP student and I got accepted while in the midst of my active duty commitment as a Corpsman. I'm not quite sure how the conditional release would work with a branch transfer from Marines to Navy, but here is the most recent instruction on HSCP:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publicatio...orizations/pa_132_hscp_11_14_2011_10_21_1.pdf

Yeah that's the kind of documentation I've been looking for, I appreciate it. Doesn't seem to mention anything marine Corps specific. May have to do more research on that part.

The usu prep program looks decent, but you have to have an undergrad degree first if I understood that correctly. Essentially I could reenlist, finish my degree and then apply.

Reenlisting for 4 years just to use TA for an additional 1 year just seems a bit unnecessary. Any advice?

Yeah that's the kind of documentation I've been looking for, I appreciate it. Doesn't seem to mention anything marine Corps specific. May have to do more research on that part.

The usu prep program looks decent, but you have to have an undergrad degree first if I understood that correctly. Essentially I could reenlist, finish my degree and then apply.

Reenlisting for 4 years just to use TA for an additional 1 year just seems a bit unnecessary. Any advice?

Well, for HSCP and HPSP you also need a bachelors degree before you apply.

I personally wouldn't re-enlist just for the TA money, but you stated in your original post that you needed to re-enlist simply to support your family. If you can get by without the income of the military and finish school then that is preferable. In my personal situation in the past I was unable to do that (I have 3 kids and a wife) so I had to deal with my enlistment while I went to school and then jump through hoops to get the conditional release approved, but it is doable. TA would just be an added bonus on top of the income.

It looks like you have some soul searching to do. Good Luck!

Well, for HSCP and HPSP you also need a bachelors degree before you apply.

I personally wouldn't re-enlist just for the TA money, but you stated in your original post that you needed to re-enlist simply to support your family. If you can get by without the income of the military and finish school then that is preferable. In my personal situation in the past I was unable to do that (I have 3 kids and a wife) so I had to deal with my enlistment while I went to school and then jump through hoops to get the conditional release approved, but it is doable. TA would just be an added bonus on top of the income.

It looks like you have some soul searching to do. Good Luck!

I'll probably join the reserves following my term so that I'll be able to have the same health care. Then get a normal job and attend school.

I am up for HSCP review now, but not really clear on the requirements during medical school. How often do you meet with your recruiter, can you travel during the summer or do international rotations?

I am up for HSCP review now, but not really clear on the requirements during medical school. How often do you meet with your recruiter, can you travel during the summer or do international rotations?

Meet once a month and for prt twice a year.

You need to get leave for international travel.