Jan 2, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Have the unfortunate luck of getting cold sore breakouts whenever I get stressed - and so far there is no hope of a less stressful M2 year.

Anyone have any suggestions/remedies you find helpful? I've got prescription antivirals but never get the "tingle" sensation anymore, they just show up in full blister form without warning.

I'm also terrified of patient interaction/judgement when I have one - tips/advice/words of wisdom?

atomi

Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Minnesota
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a girlfriend with this issue. She took the prophylactic dose for genital herpes daily, 500mg valtrex daily i think. Normally people just take 1g BID x 2 days whenever they feel a breakout coming. But some people get them non-stop and just take the medicine indefinitely. Seemed to work for her as she never had a breakout. Or else she lied to me and actually had genital herpes. Regardless, I never got either, so I appreciate her suppressing the virus.

Also, nobody gave a crap about herpes labialis (oral herpes) until the 70s when zovirax came out and the pharamceutical company started a PR campaign to associate it with a sexually transmitted disease and shame people into treating it. Before that it was a "cold sore" and not a big deal.

Reactions: AspiringERMD
Aug 9, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Share cups/utensils with everyone in your class so you all have herpes and nobody will judge you?

Really just go see your Dr and see what they can do.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a girlfriend with this issue. She took the prophylactic dose for genital herpes daily, 500mg valtrex daily i think. Normally people just take 1g BID x 2 days whenever they feel a breakout coming. But some people get them non-stop and just take the medicine indefinitely. Seemed to work for her as she never had a breakout. Or else she lied to me and actually had genital herpes. Regardless, I never got either, so I appreciate her suppressing the virus.

Also, nobody gave a crap about herpes labialis (oral herpes) until the 70s when zovirax came out and the pharamceutical company started a PR campaign to associate it with a sexually transmitted disease and shame people into treating it. Before that it was a "cold sore" and not a big deal.
I was told by my clinical prof HSV-1/HSV-2 are indistinguishable now... Both can be genital, but HSV-1 is often labialis..

atomi

Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Minnesota
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was told by my clinical prof HSV-1/HSV-2 are indistinguishable now... Both can be genital, but HSV-1 is often labialis..
It's also worth noting that if you already have HSV-1 orally, you cannot get HSV-1 genitally. Your body will have developed antibodies to it and will prevent it from setting up camp anywhere else in your body. The only way this can happen is if you self-innoculate during your initial breakout (before your immune system has remembered it) and scratch your lip then your genitals (or worse, your eye). If you have oral hsv1 and 10 years later you get genital lesions, it's hsv2.

Reactions: Entadus

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Where did you hear this?

Entadus

Happy on 5-HT
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
And I thought learning about Herpesviridae was bad!

...J/K... feel better OP!