HUCM class of 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am just kicking off the party for 2013 at BD2B's request of course :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I haven't gotten my acceptance yet but I want to post in here anyways because I believe that my Lord and savior Jesus Christ is going to deliver me a blessing.

Hey DrDJ, when did you interview and get accepted?

Interviewed in October, accepted in december

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in October, accepted in december

Oh ok. So the real question is, are you going to attend HUCM? If so, where are you looking to live? I have been looking at Arlington, VA and Silver Springs, MD.

Yes I will be attending!
I put in an application for Towers, hopefully i'll get in there. I HATE:mad: commuting, I commute an hr. each way to and from work right now and it is killing me, so the closer the better.

Any new acceptances out there? Hopefully I will be posting in here soon!

It is OFFICIAL!!! I am a member of the class of 2013 at the baddest in all the land, Howard University College of Medicine!

Bump! Where is everybody at? I hope people start coming in here. I heard the interim email said there was 30 seats left. I still can't believe that I am going to Howard University College of Medicine!!! :D

Oh yeah, here is the link to our fb group for HUCM 2013! This way we can start talking and getting to know each other.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=35767628450&ref=mf

Yeeeeeeeesssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a nice and special package in the mail today! It is now for real, for real official! I am a BISON!!!

YEA!!!! I can finally post here. Thanks everyone for the prayers.

Now i can make the move from the pre-allopathic forum to allopathic!!! :laugh: Has anyone started looking for apartments or areas that would be good to love in D.C. Im so excited I want to start everything hahaha.

Now i can make the move from the pre-allopathic forum to allopathic!!! :laugh: Has anyone started looking for apartments or areas that would be good to love in D.C. Im so excited I want to start everything hahaha.

Congrats Muchacha! Welcome to our quiet but great thread. I have been looking into living in Silver Springs, MD. I have been told this is where I would get the best deal. I think I have heard it is only a 10 min metro ride into DC.

Make sure you join our HUCM facebook group. Congrats again! Looking forward to meeting you.

Members don't see this ad :)
YEA!!!! I can finally post here. Thanks everyone for the prayers.

Congrats PD!!!!! I knew you would get in! Looking forward to meeting you!

So where is everybody thinking about living? I am looking into Silver Springs, MD.

hello everyone! I've also made the final decision to attend Howard (yay!) and this seems like a good way to share questions/concerns with fellow classmates before we all meet on orientation and spend the next FOUR years of our lives together.

I guess the main posting has been regarding "Where to live??". My dad recommended Silver Spring for living off campus. I've been checking Craigslist but not many (cheap) places available. My mother (worked @ Howard University Hospital before moving to California) lived in Hyattsville. She said it was also close to DC, but she had to take 2 buses to get to campus.

How are you all doing with financial aid stuff? I apparently did not receive the mailed package explaining everything :)() so am a little concerned that I might get minimal/no aid. I have been trying to get a hold of Mr. Cartwright! Where is that man??

hello everyone! I've also made the final decision to attend Howard (yay!) and this seems like a good way to share questions/concerns with fellow classmates before we all meet on orientation and spend the next FOUR years of our lives together.

I guess the main posting has been regarding "Where to live??". My dad recommended Silver Spring for living off campus. I've been checking Craigslist but not many (cheap) places available. My mother (worked @ Howard University Hospital before moving to California) lived in Hyattsville. She said it was also close to DC, but she had to take 2 buses to get to campus.

How are you all doing with financial aid stuff? I apparently did not receive the mailed package explaining everything :)() so am a little concerned that I might get minimal/no aid. I have been trying to get a hold of Mr. Cartwright! Where is that man??

Wassup Catkinson! Welcome to the thread and welcome to the class! HUCM class of 2013 is what it is!!! I am glad to see another face around here. Silver Springs has also been my front runner. I have been looking at places there and have found some really good 2 bed/ 2 baths for decent prices. I sent off my finaid application last friday, along with my intent to matriculate and my PARP registration. If you read this by tomorrow, try giving Mr. Cartwright a call tomorrow(friday, 4/3). I spoke to him on tuesday and he told me to call him on friday.

All right everybody looks like I will be going to Howard for sure, anybody start searching for housing. What are some good areas to start looking for housing and how does on campus housing work.

I am thinking of living in the Columbia Heights or just south of Howard. The more roomates the less expensive.

This is so exciting!

I am considering student housing. I requested an application from the Howard Towers (East) today and the set ups are actually pretty nice. I just don't know if I request a 2br, will I be responsible for finding a 2nd roommate? Have you heard anything else about student housing?

But, it's close to campus...parking is $60/month...internet/phone/cable. Prices are comparable to apartments in Silver Spring

how do you requuest an app for housing, i thought we would just receive it.

In the last email from Ms. Walk, she had written to email her back if we were interested in student housing. I did, and she sent me the link to the Howard Plaza Towers (here's a copy-paste version: http://www.howard.edu/residencelife/ResHalls/Plaza-E.htm) and also wanted my mailing address because the school has high school volunteers who would be mailing us the housing packets (when?...I don't know).

(BUT...uh... I was a little anxious to get my housing situation figured out that I called the Plaza Towers office and requested them to fax me the packet. Then I called them today and found out that they have not received the medical school's schedule/information/etc...so I think I'm getting worried over nothing. Are you thinking of student housing? I can share what I learned so far if you have any questions..haha)

I am still thinking about living in Silver Springs. Still doing some searching. I will be able to get a better idea during PARP. Has everybody in here joined our facebook group yet?

I joined the fb group,

I am planning on living on campus, my reason is because I always study in the library and living close to campus without having to commute will be a plus for me at least for the 1st year while I adjust. I stayed on campus during my interview and the apartments seemed fine and my friend didnt compalin about any problems.

My background check and everything is done, so i will be going to Howard for sure now.

What up y'all!!! I will be joining the crew at HU for the class of 2013!!!!!!!

What up y'all!!! I will be joining the crew at HU for the class of 2013!!!!!!!

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats wassup! Congrats and welcome to the class. When did you find out? Have you joined the fb group yet?

Has anyone gotten the financial aid package yet?

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats wassup! Congrats and welcome to the class. When did you find out? Have you joined the fb group yet?

Yeah homie! I found out on Friday, and called Ms. Walk immediately before starting off the weekend! The best weekend ever! I will join the facebook group definitely

I found great housing at a place called The Towers at UTC. They are in Hyattsville, MD. They are the bomb. Check them out.

www.thetowersatutc.com

Has anyone from april 8 interview heard anything yet? THey said we would hear from them by end of april, but havent heard anything yet.

Hey everyone! Can't wait to meet everyone soon!

Wow.... I can't believe I'm posting this but I can finally say that I have been accepted to Howard University College of Medicine... I'm going to be a Bison. :D I'm in shock. I can't wait to meet everyone. It's going to be an amazing 4 years : )

-Accepted HUCM Class 2013 : ) :love:

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew where to find a % match list for HUCM graduates?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew where to find a % match list for HUCM graduates?

This will be difficult because Howard doesn't really put this information out there it's usually be word of mouth. I've seen a match list from 2007 but thats the only one i've seen (I'm a MSII at Howard just finished MSI).

I can tell you about ortho:
4 total - John Hopkins, NYU, Howard, and Univ of Arizona

I know of some others sprinkled in there but there's no list to speak of.

I'm applying to Howard this cycle and I'm also curious about this information. I know Meharry puts out a video of their Match day but Howard seems to be numb about this. While matchlist should not be used as a determinant factor when applying to a school, it does help answer some questions. Like % of graduates from each class. If you started out with a class of 120 and only a 100 graduate, it does raise some questions about curriculum and teaching. Also seeing where your fellow graduates go for residency can help one establish connections and mentorship in such programs.

Anyway, I wish you guys the best and hope to join you next year!:luck:

Here you go.

Attachments

• match07[1].pdf
    48 KB · Views: 131
  • match_08[1].pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 166
I don't have much to say except I wanted to take an opportunity to (FINALLY!) post in the Howard Class of 2013 thread :cool: I've already joined the facebook group (I'm Reema, by the way) and I'll see everyone in 3 weeks if I can manage to get my stuff together that quickly!