Huge Confusion concerning PCAT scoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - after reading both the forum and the "after the test" section at Harcourt assessment's website, I am confused about how the PCAT is actually scored.

After reading this section from harcourts website

"The percentile score shown on your personal Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up the norm group—all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003"

does that mean that my score is compared to this norm group - not the people that i just took the test with?

Also - This is my first time taking the PCAT - will my score be compared to only 1st time test takers - or will I also be competeing against people on their 2nd and 3rd attempts?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

~above~

Members don't see this ad.

aboveliquidice said:
Hey all - after reading both the forum and the "after the test" section at Harcourt assessment's website, I am confused about how the PCAT is actually scored.

"The percentile score shown on your personal Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up the norm group—all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003"

does that mean that my score is compared to this norm group - not the people that i just took the test with?

Also - This is my first time taking the PCAT - will my score be compared to only 1st time test takers - or will I also be competeing against people on their 2nd and 3rd attempts?

~above~

Acording to that quote "The percentile score shown on your personal Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up the norm group—all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003"

It says it will compare you to "all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003"

That norm group, as clearly stated.

You will only be scored again first-time takers.

GatorguyPD said:
Acording to that quote "The percentile score shown on your personal Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up the norm group—all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003"

It says it will compare you to "all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and March 2003"

So do you think that everyone else that says your score is compared to those you are taking the test with (ie test takers on the same day) is simply incorrect?

Thanks again for the reply

~above~

Edit - I know its clearly stated - but there is a whole lot of heresay concerning scoring...

Members don't see this ad :)
aboveliquidice said:
So do you think that everyone else that says your score is compared to those you are taking the test with (ie test takers on the same day) is simply incorrect?

~above~

According to the info your provided that is not stated. As far as it being "incorrect" it could be I do not know.

Do you have a link

aboveliquidice said:

~above~

Edit - I know its clearly stated - but there is a whole lot of heresay concerning scoring...

The way I have heard it is that you are compared to the base group along with the people taking the test on the same date. Not 1st, 2nd, 3rd.... test takers

GatorguyPD said:
The way I have heard it is that you are compared to the base group along with the people taking the test on the same date. Not 1st, 2nd, 3rd.... test takers

This would be the heresay that I was talking about - you still da man GatorguyPD

~above~

aboveliquidice said:

~above~

I feel that it's not fair to compare our PCAT score with the first time PCAT takers b/w Oct 1998 and Mar 2003. They didn't have to deal with many OChem and Calculus questions as we did last Sat.
But because more and more people pursue pharmacy profession, it's just another way to weed out unfortunate applicants. And I'm afraid that in the future, PCAT will be much harder than now.

We still have another 3-4 weeks to receive our score. I just look at the July calendar and it seems forever to me. It's really warm in southern California right now so it's hard to chill out :)

~Aquasonic

Anyone have any advice for me?

So I've read that when you take the PCAT for the 2nd or 3rd time, you're not scored against the norm group again, but are actually scored against the 2nd and 3rd time takers. Has anyone found out if these rumors are actually true, or are you still scored against the normal group.

My problem is that I'm retaking it this june, (first time in oct 06, got a composite of 80 :(). I was planning to study for the june test hardcore, but somethings came up and I didn't get nearly as much studying done as I had planned to. Now with less than 2 weeks to go, I feel like I'm gonna get killed, especially if I'm going to get scored against the more prepared 2nd time test takers....but...if I am scored against the norm group again, I think I may be able to pull off a better score than an 80 again.

It's too late to cancel the test without losing money.
Should I go ahead and take the test and risk getting slaugthered (and also risk being put against 3rd time takers if I take it again in august), or should I not take the test at all and go all out for August?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you.

I feel that it's not fair to compare our PCAT score with the first time PCAT takers b/w Oct 1998 and Mar 2003. They didn't have to deal with many OChem and Calculus questions as we did last Sat.
But because more and more people pursue pharmacy profession, it's just another way to weed out unfortunate applicants. And I'm afraid that in the future, PCAT will be much harder than now.

We still have another 3-4 weeks to receive our score. I just look at the July calendar and it seems forever to me. It's really warm in southern California right now so it's hard to chill out :)

~Aquasonic

I don't know how it would be unfair. It's not as if they're making it so that no one can get a 99% in any section. (It is possible and there are people who do get 99% in multiple sections). Just because it now has more Ochem and Calculus doesn't make it any more difficult to get a good score. The more people you are compared to, the greater the likelihood you can get a good score. It's just like your classes: It's easier to be in the top 10% of the class with 500 people than it is with 50 people in your class. Keep in mind you're only being compared against first-time test takers. That means repeat test takers who score really high aren't being compared with you.

~Aquasonic

You have to remember that everyone in your admissions cycle will have the same test. Granted, your PCAT could be more difficult which could put you at a slight disadvantage over those applicants who took the PCAT right before the recent change. Still, schools won't be comparing your scores to those who have test scores between 1998 and 2003; they will be comparing your scores to the rest of the applicants in the pool. Many of those people will have taken the same test you took.

So, your score will still be compared to those between 1998 and 2003, but your score's worth to pharmacy adcoms will be weighed against all the other applicants in the pool.;)

Anyone have any advice for me?

So I've read that when you take the PCAT for the 2nd or 3rd time, you're not scored against the norm group again, but are actually scored against the 2nd and 3rd time takers. Has anyone found out if these rumors are actually true, or are you still scored against the normal group.

To be honest, I don't think it makes that much of a difference which group you are up against. If I had to guess, I would think that being compared to a more recent group helps you over the norm group. Though the norm group didn't know what to expect, they also had slightly easier content. The people who are taking the PCAT for a 2nd or 3rd time do it because they didn't get a great score the first time. You just have to improve over the rest who slack and you can really get a good percentile.

I guess the reason why Harcourt would do this type of comparison is to try to lessen the coaching and experience effects. If you take the same standardized test over and over again, it's possible that your scores increase even if you haven't studied or learned more simply because you can detect patterns in the test that lead you to right answers you really didn't know were right the right way. That is, you knew it was right due to some pattern or process of elimination (a.k.a. those "test-taking skills), but you couldn't explain why if asked to do it orally without answer choices.