Huge Debt. New Grad Expected Salaries if Work 6-7 days/week? Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJDent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Dental SNDers,
I am a fourth year undergrad student who is thinking about dentistry for a career.
Briefly about my situation, I will have:
+ ~450K in student loan (very careful calculation. I want to wipe this in 10 years)
+ 2 to 3 family members to take care of.
+ I want to live in SoCal (I can move, but family members can't; thus, I can't)

I have only 1 question. If I am willing to find job/jobs and work 6-7 days/week ( ~60 hours), is it naïve to expect around 200k/year as a new grad in SoCal?

Thank you. I really appreciate your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can expect anywhere between 160k-185k ideally for a new graduate. The tough part is going to be finding a job where you work on weekends as well.

Hello Dental SNDers,
I am a fourth year undergrad student who is thinking about dentistry for a career.
+ ~450K in student loan (very careful calculation. I want to wipe this in 10 years)

I have only 1 question. If I am willing to find job/jobs and work 6-7 days/week ( ~60 hours), is it naïve to expect around 200k/year as a new grad in SoCal?

Have you considered HPSP? It's not guaranteed but if you have a good resume it might not be a bad option.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered HPSP? It's not guaranteed but if you have a good resume it might not be a bad option.
Thank you for the response.
I’ll get my citizenship next year to apply for HPSP or NHCS. I have around 3.85 GPA in cumulative and science (along with lots of volunteer experience and awards). I haven’t taken the DAT yet but I’ll try my best. Chances are very thin for a new citizen though. That’s why I prepare to have 450k in debt and work like crazy for 200k/year.

You can expect anywhere between 160k-185k ideally for a new graduate. The tough part is going to be finding a job where you work on weekends as well.
Thank you RuffDay,
I’ve prepared mentally to string together 2-3 jobs to work 7 days/week for that salary.

Last edited:
I work 6 days a week. Definitely takes a lot of your free time. 5 days would be perfect. Can't imagine 7 days.
Do you ever feel burned out working that much?

OP, you should have no problem finding 7 days/week jobs here in CA if you don’t mind travel to different offices. There are plenty of offices that are owned by Asian dentists here and they’d love to hire associate dentists who are willing to work on Saturdays and Sundays.

I’ve been out of school for 15+ years and I still work on Saturdays and Sundays (from 8am-12noon). That’s because most of my patients prefer the weekend hours and I make 1.5-2x more on those 2 weekend days. I can do this because ortho is 100x easier than general dentistry. I am not sure if you can do this in the long run because practicing general dentistry with very little rest will be very bad for your hands and back. You have to start thinking about opening up your own office soon.

I still have plenty of time to be with my kids. As a practice owner, I can block any days that I want. In 3 weeks, I will go to the Broncos vs Chargers game with my son. And 3-4 wks later, we will go to the UCLA vs Cal game. During the summer, we take 2-3 mini vacations. I am glad that my kids are very appreciative of what my wife and I have done for them. They don’t complain about the fact that I work all the time. They both realize I work hard so they can have a good life. And hopefully, when they grow up and become a dentist (or an orthodontist), they’ll work hard like us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

The rate in So Cal is literally $500 per day

@allantois 7 days a week for the year - federal holidays (10 total) = 355. 355 x $500/ day = $177,500. Which is exactly in the range of $160-185k. I know that’s not what the quoted poster was getting at but the range given is plausible. Now negotiate to $550 a day and you’re even closer to that $200k the OP wants !

P
@allantois 7 days a week for the year - federal holidays (10 total) = 355. 355 x $500/ day = $177,500. Which is exactly in the range of $160-185k. I know that’s not what the quoted poster was getting at but the range given is plausible. Now negotiate to $550 a day and you’re even closer to that $200k the OP wants !
Perfect! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)

That’s ridic. Why go into dentistry to work medicine hours

Reactions: 8 users
That’s ridic. Why go into dentistry to work medicine hours
Haha. True!! I plan to work like that for the first few years. The debt is huge so I need the money.

Reactions: 2 users
The rate in So Cal is literally $500 per day
Good luck finding $500/day starting for new grands in So Cal. Realistically for new grads it's around $350-400/day!! Along with 13.3% state income tax and 9.75% sales tax rates!!!

Good luck finding $500/day starting for new grands in So Cal. Realistically for new grads it's around $350-400/day!! Along with 13.3% state income tax and 9.75% sales tax rates!!!
That's what RNs with AA make in SoCal! :eek:

chill... when you graduate dental school you can do IBR, pay 10% of your income and be OK, get into ownership as soon as you can so you can make more $ and not work yourself to death for someone else. start learning about the business side of dentistry so you will be prepared, dental school wont prepare you.. and also try REALLY hard to get you and your family out of So Cal, that state is taxing you all into poverty

Reactions: 3 users
* 9.3% on taxable income between $51,531 and $263,222. This is me.
* 12.3% on taxable income of $526,444 and above.
* 8% Sales tax.

chill... when you graduate dental school you can do IBR, pay 10% of your income and be OK, get into ownership as soon as you can so you can make more $ and not work yourself to death for someone else. start learning about the business side of dentistry so you will be prepared, dental school wont prepare you.. and also try REALLY hard to get you and your family out of So Cal, that state is taxing you all into poverty
Do you think EVENTUALLY IBR will help? I mean the forgiven amount is taxable (38% total federal+ CA). Rough calculation showed me that it won't lessen much the debt burden after 15-25 years.
( Plus, I read somewhere and I am not sure if they also tax on assets (private practice, house, and so on) if IBR applied. I did not remember who said this on SDN.)
So, personally (with limited knowledge), either working like crazy for the first few years or applying for HPSP, NHSC, or IHS repayment plan would be a safer bet.

That's what RNs with AA make in SoCal! :eek:
If so, how do you think about working for Aspen? I know they offer 200k to pay for student loan in addition to a 6-fig salary, but I don't know if dentists are used like slaves and not being respected.

Last edited:
If so, how do you think about working for Aspen? I know they offer 200k to pay for student loan in addition to a 6-fig salary, but I don't know if dentists are used like slaves and not being respected.

I don't know how it is now, but there was a thread on here a while ago about how Aspen was pretty bad Everything You Need To Know About ASPEN DENTAL.

Might be subjective, but I think the common themes with corporate dentistry are:

1) You won't be making as much as you would if you had your own practice
2) They tend to be production oriented not patient oriented (the uppermanagement is almost all people with business degress, not very many dentists)
3) You don't really get a lot of control as far as your team (most corporate offices wont let you have a yay or nay on your assistants or other office staff)
4) There is almost always tension with the office manager being there to make sure the corporate interests are met (lots of reports about OMs without any clinical experience giving advice on TPs for revenue)

Not a bad place to start but I don't think it's the greatest idea for longevity.

I don't know how it is now, but there was a thread on here a while ago about how Aspen was pretty bad Everything You Need To Know About ASPEN DENTAL.

Might be subjective, but I think the common themes with corporate dentistry are:

1) You won't be making as much as you would if you had your own practice
2) They tend to be production oriented not patient oriented (the uppermanagement is almost all people with business degress, not very many dentists)
3) You don't really get a lot of control as far as your team (most corporate offices wont let you have a yay or nay on your assistants or other office staff)
4) There is almost always tension with the office manager being there to make sure the corporate interests are met (lots of reports about OMs without any clinical experience giving advice on TPs for revenue)

Not a bad place to start but I don't think it's the greatest idea for longevity.
Thanks a lot for the info.

Although aspen is "better" out of the corporate options, there's no way they'll pay $200k for a starting dentist. You'll have to be producing well over $600k to make that amount.

And yes, anytime you're an employee, you will be treated as a "slave." That's why you wanna run your own practice as soon as you can, but most of your classmate either won't have the financial means or the business know-how to do so ;)

Although aspen is "better" out of the corporate options, there's no way they'll pay $200k for a starting dentist. You'll have to be producing well over $600k to make that amount.

And yes, anytime you're an employee, you will be treated as a "slave." That's why you wanna run your own practice as soon as you can, but most of your classmate either won't have the financial means or the business know-how to do so ;)

Oh no. They don’t offer 200k as starting salary.
I believe they offer around 110~120k as starting salary. 200k is the other amount they offer towards the student loan when I sign the contract ( I have no idea how many years, but I hope 3 years or less. Please advise if you have info about this contract.)

Never say never. One of my classmates took a guaranteed $200k contract from the company you speak as a new grad. Now it was a traveling position where he has to cover two/three states depending which offices need the help. Most of the practices he’s been to have been rural.

Never say never. One of my classmates took a guaranteed $200k contract from the company you speak as a new grad. Now it was a traveling position where he has to cover two/three states depending which offices need the help. Most of the practices he’s been to have been rural.

I can't believe these corp offices are that desperate to pay that kind of signing bonus. Maybe rural, but can't see this in the major cities.

I can't believe these corp offices are that desperate to pay that kind of signing bonus. Maybe rural, but can't see this in the major cities.
It must be worth it to them. It’s like a locum tenens doc on retainer in a way. He can get told to move anywhere on short notice in his region and work for however long they need him. Saves the DSO from lost productivity of a practice, more consistency, etc.

Do you think EVENTUALLY IBR will help? I mean the forgiven amount is taxable (38% total federal+ CA). Rough calculation showed me that it won't lessen much the debt burden after 15-25 years.
( Plus, I read somewhere and I am not sure if they also tax on assets (private practice, house, and so on) if IBR applied. I did not remember who said this on SDN.)
So, personally (with limited knowledge), either working like crazy for the first few years or applying for HPSP, NHSC, or IHS repayment plan would be a safer bet.

You're right and I should have been more thorough. MY PLAN is to do IBR, make minimum payments initially and focus on increasing my income / cash flow. Then be in a position to make larger than minimum payments once I am able to and NOT counting on the forgiveness @ the end of the 20 years of whatever it is (assuming it is even still around).. When applying for a practice loan banks will look at your cash flow, not so much your student loan total. Therefore, have minimum payments lined up to increase your cash flow / decrease your monthly obligations, get into ownership, continue to increase my cash flow, use increased income to pay down loans. nnaaa'mean

Hello Dental SNDers,

1) Expect 400-500 dollars starting salary as a new grad in so-cal. In addition, expect to be hired as an IC meaning: you pay higher taxes and in reality are making 350-400 a day. Those that say that IC means write-offs and a higher income are wrong. GP'
2) I have family members to take care of, but I ended up commuting 3 hours to fresno to work for higher pay for the week and then go back on the weekends. In the end, I moved out of CA and took home double 800-1000 as an associate in a needed area. Then I bought my own practice and make double and triple that now. Yes I understand family members you need to sacrifice and live in that area....but you can sacrifice in larger ways. I commuted, and I also flew down every 2 weeks to take care of family stuff.
3) There are very very very very few dentists that can work 6-7 days a week. You will burn out. Dentistry is a hard job physically and emotionally. Mentally ready? You haven't even worked yet in Dentistry nor in Dental school...no offense... but take it from other dentists who have worked for years. 6-7 days is not doable.

If you stick around in So-Cal you will most likely waste your time, accumulate more interest on your loans, and be lost in your career. I have alot of friends that stuck it out in CA for 2-3 years and didn't accomplish much with their goals of loans, house and family. Rent a 1 bedroom, sit in traffic all day, barely make a dent in their loans and complain. Then they see the light and move out...well I'm already established with my practice...have a house...got married...took care of my student loans 200k...and a kid on the way.

I know life isn't a rat race but there's so much more personal happiness when you are practicing the way you want to practice...and working your way towards something instead of floundering and not getting anywhere.

Dentistry is a GREAT job if you go where you are needed and have realistic goals. In my area, I don't have to play the HMO game or the "free sonicare, movie tickets, football game tickets" to get patients in the door. Nor do I have to do 5000 google reviews to have a chance of getting NPs. Like I said, go where you are needed and Dentistry offers a 4 day gig with the ability to pay for a house, your student loans, and your practice loans. It's a great job when it works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
If you want to live in a saturated area, your best bet is to pursue something very flexible like nursing or PA, even family medicine

You need to check out what it LEGALLY means to be an independent contractor. Any Dentist that hires you as an independent contractor does so because they want to avoid pay roll taxes. However, you are using THEIR equipment, THEY are setting the fee schedule, you use THEIR staff etc. Then this also puts in a different tax position. You are NOT an independent contractor. Though this is very common, these doctors are setting themselves up for a serious pounding if audited.
Just give it a Google search, there are quite a few articles out there... You may need to check your state laws as well

Haha. True!! I plan to work like that for the first few years. The debt is huge so I need the money.

why would you PLAN to incur that much debt since you are not even in Dental school yet? Try state school.. their quality of education is top notch and you don't have to break the bank. UCLA is one of them.

Private school is overrated

Worked for 2 years at Aspen. I had wonderful office staff who never interfered in my treatment planning. 5 days a week with one or two saturdays a month.

The pros: you will get faster quickly. You have to. You will eventually get to the point where you can juggle 5-6 operatories at a time if needed. You do have the potential to make some good production bonuses every month. You will especially get better at extractions and dentures.

The cons: I could only handle 2 years of working my ass off every day. Burnout is real. Corporate BS is real. Despite your best efforts at trying to treat every patient with dignity and respect, there is still background pressure to recommend "ideal" treatment plans instead of trying to work out something more tailored to the patient. I'm not crazy about their business model which is basically to get people to prepay for treatment, whether in cash or to sign up for a big payment plan to pay for it all. It's not unethical in the strictest sense, but it did bother me at times.

Aspen makes most of their money from full mouth extraction cases and dentures, which are made on-site. As the saying goes, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. It becomes a little too easy to take a borderline case and just recommend full mouth ext instead.

One of the biggest cons is that patients will complain about everything and will try to get out of anything they can. Why? I think it is because they see Aspen as a corporation and don't really see the people in the office. Kinda like going to Walmart and complaining about every little thing you can so you can get out of paying for something. Definitely don't see that degree of stuff in my FQHC office.

As far as I know, Aspen still isn't in california. If you're looking to do corporate, I would look at one of the Pacific Dental offices first. Also look into Indian Health Services as you are more likely to get loan repayment money if you work on a reservation. There's plenty in CA, just mostly in the central area or north of the Bay area.

Best of luck and beware of burnout. Take an ergonomics CE course and make sure your office provides proper chairs and whatnot. Get Surgitel flip-up loupes for the best declination angle and least amount of neck strain. Take care of your body if you plan on working that hard. Form good habits.

Worked for 2 years at Aspen. I had wonderful office staff who never interfered in my treatment planning. 5 days a week with one or two saturdays a month.

The pros: you will get faster quickly. You have to. You will eventually get to the point where you can juggle 5-6 operatories at a time if needed. You do have the potential to make some good production bonuses every month. You will especially get better at extractions and dentures.

The cons: I could only handle 2 years of working my ass off every day. Burnout is real. Corporate BS is real. Despite your best efforts at trying to treat every patient with dignity and respect, there is still background pressure to recommend "ideal" treatment plans instead of trying to work out something more tailored to the patient. I'm not crazy about their business model which is basically to get people to prepay for treatment, whether in cash or to sign up for a big payment plan to pay for it all. It's not unethical in the strictest sense, but it did bother me at times.

Aspen makes most of their money from full mouth extraction cases and dentures, which are made on-site. As the saying goes, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. It becomes a little too easy to take a borderline case and just recommend full mouth ext instead.

One of the biggest cons is that patients will complain about everything and will try to get out of anything they can. Why? I think it is because they see Aspen as a corporation and don't really see the people in the office. Kinda like going to Walmart and complaining about every little thing you can so you can get out of paying for something. Definitely don't see that degree of stuff in my FQHC office.

As far as I know, Aspen still isn't in california. If you're looking to do corporate, I would look at one of the Pacific Dental offices first. Also look into Indian Health Services as you are more likely to get loan repayment money if you work on a reservation. There's plenty in CA, just mostly in the central area or north of the Bay area.

Best of luck and beware of burnout. Take an ergonomics CE course and make sure your office provides proper chairs and whatnot. Get Surgitel flip-up loupes for the best declination angle and least amount of neck strain. Take care of your body if you plan on working that hard. Form good habits.

Question on the bonus structure. I assuming they have a designated amount that they have deemed as their break even point and you get a % an top of that. Who determines that minimum amount? What do they pay for the managerial aspect of the practice? What is the % that you get for bonus?

Yep. There's a reason why dentists mostly work FOUR DAYS A WEEK. It is a HARD JOB. It will emotionally and physically BURN YOU OUT.

You know dentistry at it's core is a blue collar "medical" job.

Reactions: 2 users
Question on the bonus structure. I assuming they have a designated amount that they have deemed as their break even point and you get a % an top of that. Who determines that minimum amount? What do they pay for the managerial aspect of the practice? What is the % that you get for bonus?
Every month there is a budget goal that is pre-determined based on the previous year. If the office "makes budget" then your chances of getting a bonus are almost guaranteed. The specific calculations of the bonus are determined by the practice owner. I never figured out how mine worked exactly in the whole time I was there.

Abort Mission! Dentistry aint worth 450k. thats just way too much debt to pay off, it will break your back and dentistry is not a sure thing anymore and there is way too much stress and competition to deal with.

If it was 450k for school + residency then maybe but 450k is a lot just for dental school.

450k is my upper limit when I combine possible tuition for both dental school and residency

If it was 450k for school + residency then maybe but 450k is a lot just for dental school.

450k is my upper limit when I combine possible tuition for both dental school and residency

How can someone predict the cost of residency, even the fact they are going to pursue one ??

Thats literally working every single day. There are no fridays, no mondays, just working like a slave. Jesus, Id rather work in mcdonalds.

Thats literally working every single day. There are no fridays, no mondays, just working like a slave. Jesus, Id rather work in mcdonalds.
$550 a day is like $1500 in production and it is 3 fillings and a crown

Hello Dental SNDers,

This question was never asked when I joined SDN over 10 years.

Wiping out $450k in 10 years? Let's see...

In short, an being bluntly honest, that will not happen. Unless you take the military route, or commit to living like a student for 10 years, you will not pay that loan off, specially while it's accruing interest every day on the balance - which you will be looking at close to $600k total payment by the 10th year. That means putting a side $60k net of your annual salary every year, which is equivalent to close to $100k pre-tax income for 10 years for this plan to work.

Can you do it? Yes .

Will you sacrifice 10 years of the most fun years of your life paying off debt? Most people won't.

"Average" experienced associate dentist income today is $180-250k a year. It will unlikely change for the next 10 years. Thanks to insurance reimbursements and corporate dentistry dictating the profession.

Why pacific dental? Are they one of the better corporates out there?

Same conditions as the OP. I’ll have the same potential amount of debt ($450k) coming out of D. School, and I’m willing to work 6-7 days a week as an GP at rural/underserved areas such Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, and Montana. 2 Questions:
1) Can I break $300k if I’m willing to work in these regions as an associate?
2) What’s the average profit if I open my own private practice in such regions?
Any dentists from these regions please help.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Same conditions as the OP. I’ll have the same potential amount of debt ($450k) coming out of D. School, and I’m willing to work 6-7 days a week as an GP at rural/underserved areas such Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, and Montana. 2 Questions:
Thank you.
It is hard to hit 300k as an associate but some people are able to do it. You will have a better shot getting there by getting into ownership faster but you have to find the right practice.

For some people, they are going to get out and kill it and 450k of debt is not going to be a big problem. For others they are going to do well but still struggle with being in so much debt. For the rest and this will be the biggest group, they won’t be able to pay that debt in a reasonable amount of time and they will use the government forgiveness program to pay on it for 25 years plus a tax bomb at the end.

If you are that smart and hard working I would think you could find success in a different career without taking a 450k gamble. On the other hand, maybe you will be one of those general dentists making 600k a year. I personally know two that legitimately make that kind of money but they are probably top 2% as far as income for dentists. Both spent a lot on CE and do advanced general dentistry. One does it with a solo office and the other owns more than one office.

Thank you.

1. Yes if you're willing to work hard and crank out production.
2. Every region is different. You can do well in an underserved suburban area too. I think it's a myth that you have to be in a super-rural area. Potential maximum for a solo practice? Your hands are the limit in a high demand area. Average? I wouldn't know, but I'd estimate at least 1-1.5M in production on average in those regions if they are similar to my region.

Why pacific dental? Are they one of the better corporates out there?
I have friends and classmates who work for them and I get the impression that it is better than most. You're never going to escape production goals and corporate BS and "tips" on how you can add procedures and such.