MD Huge dilemma, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addictedbeauty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I don't know what happened but, I feel like my dream is shattering right in front of my eyes. I just got back my MCAT score and it is terrible. I got a 496 :( and the funny thing is that my practice exam scores were above 70% for each section. However, I cannot afford to waste any time pondering about what went wrong. It is what it is. Anyways...

Some background: I have a cGPA of 3.4 and sGPA of 3.3, I have great ECs and all the good stuff. Anyways...

I took the risk of applying to my top choices without the knowledge of my MCAT score. While submitting my AMCAS, I gave the test date of July 18th hence, the crappy 496 will be distributed automatically. I completed some secondaries but I have not submitted them yet. Now that I know my score, there is no way I will continue applying with this score on my plate. So....

Here are my options and this is where I would greatly appreciate your advice:

Option A - Retake the MCAT on Sept 16th however, I am worried that my app will be very late. Also, I am not sure how I will go about the application aka should I submit everything then call each school and let them know that I am retaking my exam?

Option B - Withdraw my application and just reapply next cycle. Even though the thought of this option kills me because that will mean additional gap years, I will go with it if it will make me a stronger applicant. Maybe, enroll in a PostBacc? This way I have the chance to raise my GPA and my score...

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well your GPAs are below average and your MCAT is really low so I'd just withdraw and work on everything this year and reapply next year. It seems you are focusing on MD so slow down and do it right. You will be hard pressed to be successful this year so you'd have another gap year anyway. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well your GPAs are below average and your MCAT is really low so I'd just withdraw and work on everything this year and reapply next year. It seems you are focusing on MD so slow down and do it right. You will be hard pressed to be successful this year so you'd have another gap year anyway. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I agree. I guess I am just tired of having things up in the air.

Reactions: 1 users
Option B 100%.

Reactions: 1 user