Huge help: Low Mcat, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JellyRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I took my MCAT in September and I scored 20 (P:10, B:9 and V:1). I am not sure how I scored 1 in Verbal and was questioning the validity of the results as I was doing a way better on the practice exams. I retook the test in January and just got the scores. This time I got 24 (P: 9; b: 8 and Verbal 7). English is my second language. My overall and science GPA is around 3.6. I graduated almost seven years ago, and I have been working as both floor and charge nurse since then at step-down ICU. I completed a wide variety of clinical rotations including pediatrics, psych, L & D, PACU, watched brain surgery at Barrow, completed teachings for below poverty population etc. What are your opinions, what are my chances for any allopathic or osteopathic school in the USA? I attended the seminar for the Ross University several months ago and I questioned the admission's officer while my MCAT was 20, he told me that I was "in good shape". Now, I am wondering if my chances are better since my score was slightly improved?
Hope to hear some thoughts!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Isha2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am also an RN. I was accepted to 3 DO schools and 1 MD school this cycle with a MCAT of 26 (PS 6, VR 11, BS 9).

Since your subscores are above 6, you should be fine for at least the newest DO schools with your score of 24.

The medical schools I interviewed at love RN's (ATSU-SOMA, WesternU-COMP, TCOM, and Tx Tech-El Paso). Compared to young undergrads, We have vast clinical experience and we already know how to relate to patients, physicians, etc. Plus, we tend to be more mature than your average 21-22 year old applicant. :)

Good luck! To be very competitive for most DO schools, take the MCAT again and score a 27+.

JellyRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you sooo much for your reply! I am going for the osteopathic conference in a week and I will check with them as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you sooo much for your reply! I am going for the osteopathic conference in a week and I will check with them as well.
You should be ok for DO. Avoid the Caribbean at all cost!

Reactions: 1 user
Reaction score
I attended the seminar for the Ross University several months ago and I questioned the admission's officer while my MCAT was 20, he told me that I was "in good shape".
That's pretty scary. Of course there are some Caribbean schools that don't require the MCAT at all. This disregard for proficiency in passing standardized tests is likely part of the reason why matching into a residency program is so much more difficult from such institutions.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's pretty scary. Of course there are some Caribbean schools that don't require the MCAT at all. This disregard for proficiency in passing standardized tests is likely part of the reason why matching into a residency program is so much more difficult from such institutions.
I know couple of people that got direct acceptance with 19. One has a 3.4 GPA, the other has a 3.6. But their very low scores was due to VR... ROSS admits about 1200+ applicants every year; therefore, they are bound to have applicants with low MCAT score.

JellyRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to clarify my statement, he didn't mean that I could easily get into the program with the score of 20, but that I could justify in my application my low verbal score by being a foreigner as the other sections were decent. He said that they would rather look that I was a peasant, helping on a farm, a belly dancer, accordion player, a world traveler who visited countries on four different continents and speaks three languages; who was growing up during wartime; that I had patients who were dying on my arms or I was a team member who brought some of them back to life... Overall, they look at the whole person and not just the numbers. I do know some great doctors who couldn't get into US school and graduated from Caribbean and did well on the boards and got residencies they wanted. Also, I have friends who couldn't answer any of my prep questions on the MCAT and got >240 on the USMLE.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall, they look at the whole person and not just the numbers. I do know some great doctors who couldn't get into US school and graduated from Caribbean and did well on the boards and got residencies they wanted. Also, I have friends who couldn't answer any of my prep questions on the MCAT and got >240 on the USMLE.
I agree that the MCAT is not a good predictor of how well one will do in step1... The MD schools in P.R. have low average MCAT score and yet they have 90%+ first time passing rate...

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are definitely in shape for all newer osteopathic programs. Just apply early and you'll be fine. Some take the best subsection of each test, so you're a 26 at those.