USMLE Huge problem! Need Help! Step 1 retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my step 1 score back yesterday and I failed by a few points. Totally devastated. I scored a 254 on UWSA 1 and a 220 on UWSA 2 a week before the exam. I have no idea what went wrong. But, I'm glad I failed vs passing by a few points. So, I can retake and make a huge come back.
Here's the problem. I postponed my Step and COMLEX (I'm at a DO school) 3 months. Because I didn't feel prepared. This put me off-track vs the rest of my class, but I was still scheduled to graduate on time. But, there was no room for error. Since I failed, I only have two options. I'm currently on my 3rd year rotations. So, I can continue on with my rotations while studying for shelfs, step 2, level 2, and somehow miraculously find time to fit in step 1 retake studying. Or, I take a leave of absence and retake step 1 and graduate with the class below me. Idk what to do.
You may wonder how in the world did I fail even after delaying for 3 months? Well so am I. Probably has to do with a couple deaths in my family (one in the middle of dedicated and another two weeks before step). Also, I've been dealing with extreme anxiety for the past year due to personal and family issues, which I never got help for. And add all that together with being burned out = failed step 1. And I am still waiting for my COMLEX level 1 score. But, really doesn't matter how I did on that at this point. Just need to figure out how I can find time to study for my step 1 retake and time for my mental health. Any suggestions/advice??

Members don't see this ad.

It would be very hard to squeeze in a Step 1 retake if you aren't taking the option to graduate a year late. I've only heard of one person at my school this year who pulled off the Step 1/Step 2 CK/COMLEX II trifecta during the end of 3rd year/beginning of 4th year. Good luck!
I'm just afraid of taking a LOA and how that would look to residency programs. Also, idk how I can find time to study for step 1 again without a LOA. I definitely need a 240+ on this retake to fix things.

I'm just afraid of taking a LOA and how that would look to residency programs. Also, idk how I can find time to study for step 1 again without a LOA. I definitely need a 240+ on this retake to fix things.
You already have failed Step 1 record - LOA is nothing compared to failed Step 1. So IMHO you have nothing to lose, time to go all in. Graduating 1 year late is nothing compared to a 25-35 years of future physician life. Don't let silly LOA remark stop you from doing the right thing.

The failed step 1 would look worst actually. Do what you have to do to get a good retake. Anything short of a decent retake and programs won't even bother with your app.