MD & DO HUGE upward trend... will it save me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyTurner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post on SDN. I have an unusual upward trend.

Timeline:

Fall 2007-Fall 2009: Nursing school student, maintained a GPA of 2.9 as a full scholarship athlete. GPA is unremarkable but I had no aspirations for medical school at the time.

In 2010 I suffered a medical hardship and had to withdraw from school for a year. I transferred to another school (well regarded regional private university) and switched my major to biology. I had still not fully recovered from my condition and continued receiving weekly treatment throughout my first three semesters. GPA suffered as such. However, by my senior year, I was finally asymptomatic. I registered for 20 credits each semester and knocked it out of the park.

Needed 5 semesters to graduate. Here is the breakdown for each semester;

Spring 2011: 2.78 (14 credits, 2 sciences w/ lab)
Fall 2011 2.81 (15 credits, 2 sciences w/ lab)
Spring 2012: 3.33 (14 credits, 2 sciences w/ lab)
Fall 2012: 3.76 (20 credits, 3 science classes w/lab)
Spring 2012: 3.61 (20 credits, 3 science classes w/lab)

The problem is my cum. GPA from the second school is 3.23, around 3.0 including my first school. The question I ask is, how much weight will be given to my senior year? Will they consider the courseload as well?

My own estimation; getting schools to not toss aside my application in the first round will be the biggest challenge, but once they actually look at it, I believe that senior year speaks volumes.

MCAT date is in early June. Practice tests have me around 25 now, goal is to be at 30 by June.

Thanks in advance to any and all input.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you'll have under 3.5 GPA and an under 30 MCAT, apply to DO school only. As of right now things don't look too well outside of the newer programs. The upward trend is helpful, but only if accompanied by a good MCAT.

if you'll have under 3.5 GPA and an under 30 MCAT, apply to DO school only. As of right now things don't look too well outside of the newer programs. The upward trend is helpful, but only if accompanied by a good MCAT.

The only MD school I've even considered applying to is Qunnipiac. My pre-health advisor has a good rapport with a few individuals on the admissions committee, and my personal statement has a declared interest in meeting current and future primary care demands. Barring a 30+ MCAT, I don't plan on applying to any other MD programs.

The only MD school I've even considered applying to is Qunnipiac. My pre-health advisor has a good rapport with a few individuals on the admissions committee, and my personal statement has a declared interest in meeting current and future primary care demands. Barring a 30+ MCAT, I don't plan on applying to any other MD programs.
I'm assuming you mean you'll apply to DO. I only ask because there have been a few people here that plan on applying to only one school.