Huh???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, my AMCAS was verified yesterday, so of course, I've started to get a flood of emails. I got this email from university of buffalo....

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the University at Buffalo School of Medicine. We have received your AMCAS application electronically from Washington D.C.

Please visit our secondary application website at http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oma/application.

The thing is, i didnt apply to there. I initially thought that this was SUNY upstate (which i DID apply to, but this is in fact, not at all the case) What gives? Is this a type of email solicitation and advertising to "trick" students into believing that they applied to there? Can someone clarify?

Members don't see this ad.

perhaps it was meant to be :D

also, may i ask why u did upstate and not buff? was it instate/OOS acceptance reasons?

just a higher rate of acceptance for OOS. I also have alot of friends there as well. So what do you think, should i just go ahead adn submit it anyway? i mean hey, if i submit the secondary, that probably means i dont have to add them into my primary on amcas, so that automatically saves me 30 bucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
braluk said:
just a higher rate of acceptance for OOS. I also have alot of friends there as well. So what do you think, should i just go ahead adn submit it anyway? i mean hey, if i submit the secondary, that probably means i dont have to add them into my primary on amcas, so that automatically saves me 30 bucks.

lol buuuut what if they just got your INITIAL amcas info (phone#, address, e-mail, name, ID) and not your actual PS and grades and stuff lol... UB has absolutely no questions on secondaries so basically the only way they'd judge u is how pretty your real name sounds.

hmmm...but they specified that i applied to the school, so im assuming that somehow, one way or another they got my info, otherwise it wouldnt be called "applied". This is the exact email:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the University at Buffalo School of Medicine. We have received your AMCAS application electronically from Washington D.C.

Please visit our secondary application website at http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oma/application. The user id is *******, and the password is **********. If this link does not work, please type it directly. (note to SDNers, the user ID and password are generic to all applicants so it wasnt applicant specific)

After reading this material, please fill out the Verification Statement and send it back to us electronically.

In addition, we require a fee of $65.00 to process your application. Personal checks or cash will NOT be accepted, and would delay the processing of your application.

Payment by credit card is highly recommended. We accept Mastercard, Visa, and Discover. The credit card information follows the submission of your Verification Statement.

If you can not pay by credit card, please mail us a money order or certified check made payable to the "University at Buffalo" for $65.00. Please print your name and AMCAS ID no. on it, and send it to:

Medical School Admissions
University at Buffalo
131 Biomedical Education Bldg.
Buffalo, NY 14214-3013

Please check for possible policy ineligibility BEFORE you submit your application fee. There will be no refunds for administrative withdrawals. Please visit our website at http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu for further eligibility information.

Fee Assistance Waivers will be honored in accordance with AMCAS decisions. If AMCAS has granted you a Fee Assistance Waiver, you automatically have a waiver of our $65.00 fee. It is not necessary to notify us, since your application material contains this information. After you electronically "submit" your Verification Statement, please STOP, and do not make credit card payment of our $65.00 application fee. (that fee has been waived for you)

Our application procedures are fully explained in the supplemental web information. Please read carefully and follow the instructions therein. Thank you.

Mr. Rosso
Admissions Advisor
U. at Buffalo Medical School

PS. The mailing address listed above is the correct address to send all correspondence and letters of recommendation!

lol man that is so weird. haha try it out i guess.. worst comes to worst they'll e-mail u sayin uhh we don't actually have your AMCAS!

Yea tru i suppose but the OOS stats are pretty dismal- somewhere at 10% or so. I dont even know if its worth the shot. Any other opinions?

Are you sure you didn't apply there? Check your AMCAS again.

mintendo said:
Are you sure you didn't apply there? Check your AMCAS again.
Yeah, I would check AMCAS and see what schools are listed, maybe you made a mistake.

ParvatiP said:
Yeah, I would check AMCAS and see what schools are listed, maybe you made a mistake.
Doh! stupid mistake, i misread. Phew. Thanks guys. Ill close this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.