Hull York Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traveler1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am fortunate enough to have received an invitation to interview at Hull York Medical School in England in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of anyone who graduated from HYMS and is now practicing in the US? I have applied to schools in the UK as an EU citizen, but might want to do residency in the US.

HYMS is ranked #9 of the British medical schools so I have no doubt that the education HYMS students receive is good. However, because of the small town location in the North of England I am worried that I would not see as many interesting/unusual cases there as I would at a university in a big city (i.e. London, Manchester, etc.). I am interested in infectious diseases, especially tropical diseases, so it would be valuable to train somewhere with a large immigrant population.

Your input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I am fortunate enough to have received an invitation to interview at Hull York Medical School in England in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of anyone who graduated from HYMS and is now practicing in the US? I have applied to schools in the UK as an EU citizen, but might want to do residency in the US.

HYMS is ranked #9 of the British medical schools so I have no doubt that the education HYMS students receive is good. However, because of the small town location in the North of England I am worried that I would not see as many interesting/unusual cases there as I would at a university in a big city (i.e. London, Manchester, etc.). I am interested in infectious diseases, especially tropical diseases, so it would be valuable to train somewhere with a large immigrant population.

Your input is much appreciated!

Firstly "rank" of medical schools in the UK means absolutely nothing, it's not based on the quality of the education or the success of it's graduates, it is based on totally random nonsense that will not affect you in any real way.

The first intake at HYMS was only 2003 so they have very few graduates so it is unlikely any are working in the US.

If you end up in Hull you will see the sort of stuff you seem to be after. Hull is not a nice place. York is lovely however and most people want to go there. You will do the same standard sort of modules anywhere, you can use your elective to do something you are really interested in. Also don't base your decision about med school on what you think you want to do before you even start. Big general things like definitely medicine over surgery isn't such a no no but basing everything on thinking you might want to do some random specialty is a bad idea.

One thing worth mentioning is that the new schools like HYMS tend to make you do a lot of extra pointless work like essays on random topics that will in no way help you and will leave you with less time to learn the important basic curriculum. You may think now that you like writing essays and think it will be a good way to solidify things but a few months in and you will hate it, it is a waste of time. You will do special study modules wherever you go which usually involve some sort of essay and those are more than enough of that sort of thing. I interviewed at HYMS and I am very thankful that I didn't go there.

Also, as it's a new school, it is unlikely people in the US will have heard of it so may not be the best idea if you want to work there.