Human Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmhm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did Biology I and got an A. But as I am working full time and I can not take Biology II as they offer lab during the day time only. So I have found Human Anatomy (4 credit) with lab which I can take. Will it cover Bio II requirement for MD school? Here are the course content:

"How do the various structural and functional levels(from cells to organs systems) contribute to theproduction of a human being? Students will explore this question as they first learn about the abilities that cells have on their own, due to life's molecules and the amazing properties of DNA. They will then study new properties that emerge when cells become tissues and tissues become organ systems - culminating in a remarkable functioning organism, the human being."

Members don't see this ad.

You will typically need gen bio 1 and 2 with their respective labs. This is usually a requirement for a science degree and/or upper level bio courses such as genetics, cell bio, etc. It’s fine if you’re unable to take it right now but you should definitely take it over the summer as not taking it may limit your ability to take upper level coursework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
The problem is, no school (4yr) around me is offering it in any session (Spring/Sum/Fall) where lab is after 5:30pm except community college. I am a non trad student with engineering degree (BS) and doing my pre req so I can apply to med school. I would possibly do some upper level science classes later but trying to think how med school admission will see Human Anatomy as for Bio 2. Thanks for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is, no school (4yr) around me is offering it in any session (Spring/Sum/Fall) where lab is after 5:30pm except community college. I am a non trad student with engineering degree (BS) and doing my pre req so I can apply to med school. I would possibly do some upper level science classes later but trying to think how med school admission will see Human Anatomy as for Bio 2. Thanks for your reply.

Keep in mind most schools require 14 hours of biology, 12 hours of lecture and 2 hours of labs. You won’t be done after anatomy, should you take that in place of bio 2, just as an FYI.

Also, for what it’s worth, consider that:

General Chemistry is 8 hours, 6 in lecture and 2 in labs.

Organic Chemistry is the same - 8 hours, 6 lecture and 2 labs.

Biochemistry of 3 hours.

Physics of 8 hours, 6 in lecture and 2 in lab. (You probably have these already with engineering degree.)

Statistics or Calculus. Same as physics, you likely have this satisfied. It is school specific so check them out, unless you’re applying TMDSAS where Statistics is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I have seen, most school need 8 credits with lab for Biology. not 14 credit. Would you please refer me to some school where they need 14 credit ? I did chem 1 & 2, Org 1 already. Thank you for taking time replying with info.

So far I have seen, most school need 8 credits with lab for Biology. not 14 credit. Would you please refer me to some school where they need 14 credit ? I did chem 1 & 2, Org 1 already. Thank you for taking time replying with info.

TMDSAS (for TX state schools): TMDSAS Medical: Education Requirements
AAMC (MD outside of TX): Admission Requirements for Medical School has general overview with MSAR (https://apps.aamc.org/msar-ui/) for specific schools
Unfortunately, I do not know the any specific education requirements that AACOM (for DO schools) has.

There are adcoms for both MD and DO that are likely much more familiar with the requirements than me, so I'm sure they'll hop in if there's anything else to add.

I did Biology I and got an A. But as I am working full time and I can not take Biology II as they offer lab during the day time only.
The problem is, no school (4yr) around me is offering it in any session (Spring/Sum/Fall) where lab is after 5:30pm except community college. I am a non trad student with engineering degree (BS) and doing my pre req so I can apply to med school.
Take it at the community college. As you are a full-time working nontrad, taking this option will raise fewer eyebrows.

I will say that Human Anatomy, especially with a cadaver lab, was a really good class to have taken before med school. I was able to really help my med school friends out with anatomy having already had it. Certainly it's not required; but if you have the opportunity to take it, it can be a big help.

So this might not be a great example, but I actually got away with applying to and getting into medical school without taking any biology classes...
I'm a biochemistry major, so I took a lot of cell bio and microbio courses, which seemed to be good enough. It depends on the school, though, and what their requirements are. Some schools have very clearly delineated requirements and others don't. The school I'm attending is one of the latter. Plus, I scored really highly on the bio portion of the MCAT, so I think I proved that I have the chops to do well in medical school despite not having taken any actual biology classes.

Now, I will say, do I recommend you do what I did? Not at all. Judging by what I have seen and heard from more senior people in the medical field, the advances being made on the molecular level in medicine can often mean an overemphasis on biochem, cell bio, molecular bio, etc (i.e., the stuff I was doing). It's trendy right now, and it's directly related to medicine, so I guess my lack of bio was overlooked. I was able to ride that trend train into med school. I anticipate maybe having some issues in medical school, but what I am now most worried about is the future. I think taking a bio class or two maybe would've made me a better doctor.

What I'm trying to say is: look carefully at what the schools you are interested in are looking for in their candidates to make sure you fit the bill (it's best not to take any chances), but also don't sweat it too much. Definitely take bio classes, though, that's probably one of my biggest regrets as I look back on my college career.

I did Biology I and got an A. But as I am working full time and I can not take Biology II as they offer lab during the day time only. So I have found Human Anatomy (4 credit) with lab which I can take. Will it cover Bio II requirement for MD school? Here are the course content:

"How do the various structural and functional levels(from cells to organs systems) contribute to theproduction of a human being? Students will explore this question as they first learn about the abilities that cells have on their own, due to life's molecules and the amazing properties of DNA. They will then study new properties that emerge when cells become tissues and tissues become organ systems - culminating in a remarkable functioning organism, the human being."

You really should take it Biol II before Human Anatomy. I think it would help you understand a lot easier. If anything, its not going to cover Biol II anyway so you really should still do Biol II first.