Human Physiology or Animal Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad.

I have taken human anatomy (BSC 227). BSC 228 is human physiology. I am currently registered for human physiology for fall 2008 (BSC 227 was the pre-requisite). The college of science has a site showing recommended courses for pre-optometry students. One of the course states:

Animal Physiology (BSC 422) or Human Physiology (BSC 228) Note: BSC 228 does not count toward a Biological Science degree.

So now I'm not sure whether to take animal physiology or human physiology. Animal physio. is not available for the fall so not taking BSC 228 would screw up my fall schedule because I have nothing else to take in its place.

Which should I take or which would be more useful?

Note: I've read that human physiology and animal physiology are very similar. I'm just not sure which would be more useful.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Since we're studying human eyes, I think it's best to do human physiology. I've never taken animal physio but hey you can't go wrong with human physio. So what's more important to you, your schedule, or waiting it out a bit to take a class that could be pretty helpful for you in opt school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just e-mailed the physiology professor so I should be getting a reply soon on which course would be better to take.

A few people on the other SDN forum were saying that both course were very similar and one even said that the animal physiology covered human physiology better and the class covered mostly human physiology. Just wondering if animal physiology would be more for pre-med/pre-optometry students. Human physiology seems to be full of nursing students at my school.

i took animal phys and i am taking human phys + lab in the fall

Ok, I just received a reply from the professor. Here's the info.

If I want physiology to count toward my major, I need to take animal physiology (BSC 422).

Animal physiology is a more rigourous course than human physiology (BSC 228).

Animal physiology cover the same material as human physiology but with a more comparative approach.

Human physiology is more geared toward allied health students (nursing) and animal physiology is more appropriate for pre-med, pre-optometry, pre-vet, etc.

What do you think?

To those of you who have taken both, do you think it is a waste of time to take both?

Also: BSC 227 (anatomy) is a pre-requisite for BSC 228 (human physiology). But why wouldn't BSC 227 (anatomy) be a pre-requisite for animal physiology (BSC 422)?

I never took animal phys but had a lot of friends that did... from what I understand they are two totally different classes. I think it's much more worth it to take human phys, it's a lot more relevant.

Just take the class that counts towards your degree.