Human Physiology or Animal Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peroua15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which class should I take? I know people have said that physiology was helpful, but which one--Human vs. Animal

Members don't see this ad.

Human, unless you want to be a dental vet (that might not be adequate terminology, but I hope you get where I'm going).

AHhh, I was hoping animal would be best for the dat, because animal is required for my major...human is not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually found human to very helpful for the DAT, but I'm not sure if animal would cover some of the same topics...I don't think animal was offered at my school. Take animal if that is what you need, any of the DAT prep books will cover the anatomy needed for the DAT. The cadaver lab looks like it would be helpful once you get into a school (all of the schools I interviewed at had a cadaver room walk through).

For dat second one...for dental school first one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Taking Animal Physiology is not going to put you at any disadvantage for the DAT as long as you actually study the same prep materials as most everyone else uses for the DAT. I took Animal, not Human, and I still learned all the major physio stuff that applies for mammals (thus human physio) and learned some really cool stuff about other animals. It depends on what you want out of the classes. Either one is not going to really do anything to drastically help you over the other. Pick what interests you!!!

I am in comparative environmental physiology rite now, its much harder than human physiology and covers a broad range of physiologies. Remember that animal physiology will act like an umbrella of physiology. Humans are animals to, either way its up to you

Human, unless you want to be a dental vet (that might not be adequate terminology, but I hope you get where I'm going).

cat+brushing+teeth.jpg

You will learn many of the same concepts in both classes. I would just take the one for your degree and don't look back. Both would help you on the DAT.

Animal will be harder because you will discuss mechanisms that do not exist (or are less evolved) than other animals.
But you will learn all human physiology in animal physiology, professors know most people who take phys are doing a med type program.
And the DAT will not ask about the physiology of other animals, other than human related.
Actually, I do know the mechanism for salt/water balance in fish is a prep question, so there might be some.