Human Physiology vs General Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

An Yong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers too physiology classes, one is entitled "Human physiology" the other is "General physiology"? Which do you guys recommend I take, and which will benefit me most in terms of mcat?

The difference:

Human physiology has a lab component *umm ouch*

General physiology = no lab but does not specifically focus on humans

I really really want to avoid the lab if possible, but if human physiology will benefit me much more than general than I'm willing to take it.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would take the human physiology class. They don't ask you about earthworm physio on the MCAT. Why are you ducking this lab? If you are this opposed to taking a physio lab then how do you think you are going to do in med school? Labs are generally fairly laid back and just compliment the stuff you are learning in lecture. Although our labs were usually graded separately from lecture, if you did well in the lecture class then it's usually a pretty sure bet that you would get an A in lab although some labs can be labor intensive with lab journals, lab reports, and journal reviews etc.

hmm.

Let's say you want to avoid the lab. Does gen phys include plants? then, it is definetly a lot of waste. In terms of MCAT preperations, that is. i'd say then, human phys is more worth it.

but, if lab means poor grades for you, maybe be careful. I personally think that physio labs are very fun. But, i don't know your sc ho ol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well its not so much I can't handle the lab, but that I have a hectic courseload and labs from other classes as well (and i'll be studying for the mcat that semester), so if I can save time in doing the lab work (ie reports, exams, etc.) it might help me =P

I think you would be best talking to people at your school, who've taken the class. Or, maybe just talk to both professors, and let them now your situation. and, get their opinion which would be better. and, also, find out what teh lab will entail (very long detailed reports, or simple f ill ins)

Sonya