human rights & haiti refugees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.doolittle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who periodically realizes that I am so caught up in myself and my own little world that I forget what is happening in the rest of the world? Any thoughts/comments about the following letter that I sent off to my senators (and Bush) today....

As a U.S. citizen, I am disgusted by our current administration?s treatment of Haitian refugees. I believe forcible returns of Haitians to Haiti should be suspended unless or until their entitlement to U.S. protection has been determined through a full and fair procedures and their return can take place in with full respect for their human rights.

Transfer of Haitian asylum-seekers and refugees to Guant?namo Bay or other off-shore facilities concerns me because asylum procedures that have been used in Guant?namo Bay in the past have fallen well short of minimum international standards. Haitian refugees should be guaranteed the human rights and refugee protection to which they are entitled.

The right to leave their country, to seek and enjoy asylum from persecution abroad is a fundamental human right. As a neighbouring state to Haiti, the U.S. should keep our borders open, even in the event of a mass influx. As a dominant world power, we must demonstrate the highest standards of human rights protections under all circumstances, consistent with international human rights and refugee law standards.

Sincerely,

Members don't see this ad.

Closing this thread and moving it to the lounge.

How about the Everyone forum instead?