Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Human vaccines -- Please! Where is the science?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by projekt, May 29, 2008.

1. projekt

projekt UGA c/o 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    :rant:
    Garh, I'm getting sick of the vaccine policy. Apparently, if I were starting last year, one dose of mumps vaccine would have been enough, but now I need two doses or a positive titer. (I already have had several doses, but the records are gone from the childhood ones.)

I'm 29 years old, and I haven't contracted mumps yet. How much is all this really protecting the fragile UGA population?!
    :/rant:

2. Rebeki

Rebeki Wisconsin SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I also hate the vaccine policies as my childhood vaccine records are long gone! I've had so much trouble with schools and them having different policies despite supposedely following the same laws:mad:

I had my titers run and that was the best thing. Now I just keep copies of my titer lab reports on file and ready to prove that I am immune from the dreaded measles, mumps and rubella! However, these are expensive if they aren't covered by insurance.

3. critterfixer

critterfixer Veterinarian
    2+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    While I know that is frustrating, I should point out we had a classmate at UTK last year who came down with mumps, and she was fully vaccinated.

4. LynnKat

LynnKat Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I sympathize. I had to get another dose of MMR AFTER I had already completed taking some pre reqs at Rutgers. Apparently a record overhaul indicated I didn't have enough doses (I had received the shots, there just weren't any more records), and they held my transcripts hostage until I got the shot even though I was no longer a student and the danger had passed. I couldn't get titers because it would have taken too long, and I needed the dang grades to complete my applications :(. Now I have a folder, where I'm keeping copies of all the vaccine records, so I can prove I've had the darn things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    OMG! They're not covered by health insurance!!! I am so naive. Why in the world would they prefer to pay for a potentially noxious vaccine for a disease which you have adaquate immunity than to have a innocuous blood sample taken. Jes...just love the policies of those insurance companies. You should write a letter telling them that since they dont cover the cost of a titer, when you get the vaccine and something happens to you you'll be sure to pass that information on to your attorney! HA take that you HMO bastads (intentially mispelled)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. projekt

projekt UGA c/o 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I like "bastids" like Tom Wolfe used in The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test :)

7. Rebeki

Rebeki Wisconsin SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Don't panic...They were covered by my health insurance. I would just check with your health insurance because I had two titers done when I didn't have any health insurance and they were pretty pricey.

8. nyanko

nyanko total trash mammal
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    With all due respect, don't you think that if you don't have a positive titer or an MMR booster that the reason you haven't contracted mumps yet is because we routinely vaccinate for it here in the USA and herd immunity protects you?

If you had enough doses in your childhood your titer should be fine and you shouldn't really have to worry about it. Think about it this way: a person comes into your clinic with a dog who needs to board overnight and has no written vaccination history and no way to contact the vet who they said did the vaccines. Would you vaccinate for DHLPP and rabies or just take their word for it that the dog will be fine? I know what I would do. :p

9. projekt

projekt UGA c/o 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    With all due respect, I respectfully disagree, nyanko. I haven't had a titer, it's probably positive. I've had plenty of MMR boosters in my life, including the one that produced my recent measles and rubella titers.

There was a mumps outbreak in 2006. It occurred among the vaccinated. Apparently the MMR vaccines are not producing titers in the population like they used to. Perhaps they should require titers for all students? Yet they don't, 2 shots are all they ask.

10. mdnghtdnc

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I can say that I had my childhood vaccines which included the chickenpox, and my titer came back completely negative.... meaning I have never been exposed to the chickenpox or vaccine. Both of my siblings had the chickenpox and my best friend in tech school who was my lab partner got the shingles... I have not had any of them. I wouldn't rely on childhood vaccines, and check titers just in case. The titer for the chickenpox was only 70.00 which isn't that bad.

11. sheep girl

sheep girl LSU SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Like some of you, my childhood records are gone. When I was young, my doctor relocated and left the records with another set of doctors; however, they lost our records... I have taken many shots since, but in many different states. I don't even have a writen record of my Hep series.

This is a great thread because I need to figure out what I am going to do before my school's July deadline for shot records!:eek:

12. mdnghtdnc

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Your lucky they are giving you until June.... Western is only giving us until June 2. I had to write them and explain about not having a titer, which just came back and need an extension for the actual vac.

13. bclover

bclover UIUC-CVM Class of 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    What about the vaccination for menigitis? At Illinois it is recommended but not required. Having been away from college for some years now and hearing of it in the news on occasion I am wondering if it is smart to do this or, since in many cases we are not exposed a great deal to the entire campus population, it isn't necessary. Right now I don't plan to get it, but this thread had me wondering...

14. mdnghtdnc

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I had to get it for my tech school becuase I was living on campus at the time. I can not remember if it was required or just optional for others. I believe it was only if you were staying on campus though.

15. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    It was recommended for my undergrad, but not required. I got it anyway, my husband didn't. Of course, my parents paid for mine... his parents err...they weren't buying him much at that point. So he didn't have the $70, didn't get the shot. We're both fine, of course - I'm just one of those "better safe than sorry" people. There have been two OKSU students to get meningitis during my time here. One girl got it from Mexico, and the boy I forget... but it wasn't Mexico.

I lived on campus, but they wanted all students to get the shot regardless.