1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Humanities Letter of Rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by franniemeow07, Jun 17, 2008.

1. franniemeow07

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    So I just now find out that the prof for the course I've been taking apparently doesn't write letter of recs for anyone in this medical ethics class, which I did well in and have gone to office hours to get to know her for this purpose. I've graduated and none of the other profs that I've had for humanities classes could pick me out of a line up. Right now I have 1 science prof, my current PI, and 2 former research mentors (clinical and non clinical) for letters. How critical is it that I have a letter of rec from a humanities prof?

I have 2 options:

1.) Dig up old humanities profs and ask them for a letter, even though they don't know me well

2.) Take a summer quarter class and try really hard to get to know them for a letter. Does it matter what subject the class is in? I can't imagine that a letter from a Japanese Civilization prof would be that relevant (?) for med school admissions?....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gasdf1234567

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow that sucks and is really annoying. I don't see how a professor could point blank refuse to write LORs, they should realize its part of their job description. I would say having one is pretty important because its "required" for most med schools. I would probably meet with a couple of your past humanities profs whose classes you aced and ask them if they feel they could write a good letter. If not, then onto plan B.

4. franniemeow07

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Yeah, it is pretty frustrating. The annoying part is, her excuse was that the class was too big...and there were only 30 people in it! And it was pretty clear who was participating and who wasn't. Most of the profs of large lecture classes at my university (i.e. 200+) state explicitly what their letter of recommendation policy is in their syllabus and at the beginning of the course. Apparently, she couldn't have done us the same courtesy. :mad: