Humanities LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wxl31

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am missing a letter of recommendation from a non-science professor. There really is no one I can ask at this point since I've been out of school for a while.

I've heard though that schools only ask for a non-science letters and they don't necessarily have to be from a prof. Is this true? Has anybody gotten into a school w/o submitting a humanities letter from a prof/gsi? If so, which ones?

If anyone knows of a school that requires an academic humanities letter, please let me know. I don't want to waste my money applying if I can't meet their requirements.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing to do might be to ask those schools how strict they are on their letter of rec requirements and explain your situation.

wxl31 said:
I am missing a letter of recommendation from a non-science professor. There really is no one I can ask at this point since I've been out of school for a while.

If anyone knows of a school that requires an academic humanities letter, please let me know. I don't want to waste my money applying if I can't meet their requirements.
QUOTE]

The abiding rule is, get the letter from whomever is going to give you the highest praise, be it chancellor emeritus or custodian. The med schools' rules can be found on the web pretty consistently, but I understand that even the strictest schools won't disregard a glowing letter from a lowly what-have-you, especially since higher-ups will generally sign off on them.

Good luck and stay mellow,

--Funkless

Members don't see this ad :)
wxl31 said:
Hi all,

I've heard though that schools only ask for a non-science letters and they don't necessarily have to be from a prof. Is this true? Has anybody gotten into a school w/o submitting a humanities letter from a prof/gsi? If so, which ones?

Thanks so much!

I was in the same situation as you. I e-mailed each school that specified they required a non-science professor letter of rec and explained my situation. There were just a few schools like this (including UCSD, the one I'll be going to in the fall) and they let me substitute the non-science one with a science one. It shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. Good luck.

Alexander 99, did your replacement letter still have to be from a science prof? Since I've been out of school for so long, it took great pains just to find two science professors...finding a third won't be easy....